Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls Oblivion Thread: Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by edstein
We'll see you next week.
I was thinking more like the end of the summer!

Chris
Old 05-27-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished the main quest (prior to that, I finished the Mage and Assassin guilds) so I am going to stop playing Oblivion for awhile (probably wait for the inevitable expansion to come out, then play and finish the Fighters/Thieves guild, and the arena).
Old 05-27-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished the game. The main quest, all of the faction quests and I think pretty much all of the side quests. Even the downloaded stuff. Something like 150 quests, I think. Played about 90 hours. And unlocked all 50 achievements.

Wow, what a game. Bring on more downloadable content.
Old 05-27-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
I completed both guilds, DB, arena, main quest, and about a dozen side quests, about 80 hours playing time. Did this about a month ago. Tried to start a new character about a week back, but just couldnt get into the game again.

Looking back, I really wish I saved the Dark Brotherhood for last instead of doing it first, because everything after that was a let down, especially the main quest, what a bore that was.

But, it's not like I can complain about a game that took 80 hours of my life.
Old 05-27-06, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lastblade
Just finished the main quest (prior to that, I finished the Mage and Assassin guilds) so I am going to stop playing Oblivion for awhile (probably wait for the inevitable expansion to come out, then play and finish the Fighters/Thieves guild, and the arena).
The arena was VERY underwhelming. I nedd to finsih pretty much everything esl, I am about done with ages.

I was thinking:
Arena
Mages
Main
Fighters
DB
misc.
Old 05-28-06, 05:00 PM

"Where the spirits have lease" help please.

I bought the house in anvil. My quest was updated and said I should make myself at home.

I never got a prompt to tell me to go to the local store and buy furnishings like all the other houses did.

So I went exploring and found a weird symbol in the basement, when I walk up to it, it says to activate the sealed portal, but when I hit the button to activate it nothing happens.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Old 05-28-06, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jon-w9
The arena was VERY underwhelming. I nedd to finsih pretty much everything esl, I am about done with ages.

I was thinking:
Arena
Mages
Main
Fighters
DB
misc.
You are right, I ended up doing Arena and it was too easy, especially when my battlemage can cast paralyze + Stone Atronarch.
Old 05-30-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those of you who have finished the game or more than 1/2 thru, did you create a custom class?
In gamesfaq, they recommend that you put your most used skills as minor skills and least used skills as major skills to help you will leveling your chars.

i.e. Warriors should put spell skills as their major skills and warrior type skills as minor skills.

Is this necessary?
Is the game playable with the set classes they give you?
Old 05-30-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts
I made my own class. The only reason to set it up like Gamefaqs said is because your minor skills determine the multiplier when you level up. You'll level up a lot less often doing it that way, but will be able to max out more stats before you reach your max level.
Old 05-30-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by timewaster
Those of you who have finished the game or more than 1/2 thru, did you create a custom class?
In gamesfaq, they recommend that you put your most used skills as minor skills and least used skills as major skills to help you will leveling your chars.

i.e. Warriors should put spell skills as their major skills and warrior type skills as minor skills.

Is this necessary?
Is the game playable with the set classes they give you?
It is entirely playable with the set classes they give - there are just some silly decision. Like have both blade and blunt as majors when normally a person will use one or the other - not switch back and forth. I created my own class and put skills i use frequently as majors to try to get the "perks" you get at certain levels quicker. That and i like to role-play so i sat down and imagined a character i wanted to play and created that character not worrying so much about making it the most efficient. I have about 95 hours on my game, am level 36 and haven't advanced the main questline a huge amount at all.
Old 05-30-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmagoo
I bought the house in anvil. My quest was updated and said I should make myself at home.

I never got a prompt to tell me to go to the local store and buy furnishings like all the other houses did.

So I went exploring and found a weird symbol in the basement, when I walk up to it, it says to activate the sealed portal, but when I hit the button to activate it nothing happens.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Take a nap in your bed upstairs to continue the quest. This quest is pretty different from all the other houses for sale in the other towns.
Old 05-30-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rabbit77
Take a nap in your bed upstairs to continue the quest. This quest is pretty different from all the other houses for sale in the other towns.
I've heard that you shouldn't store anything in that house until the end of that quest. I'm not sure if that is true but I know that I didn't keep anything at all in that house because it wasn't worth the risk.
Old 05-30-06, 04:27 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by noonan4224
I made my own class. The only reason to set it up like Gamefaqs said is because your minor skills determine the multiplier when you level up. You'll level up a lot less often doing it that way, but will be able to max out more stats before you reach your max level.
Just to clarify...leveling up any skill twice, whether major or minor, will give you a +1 to the attribute modifier on your next character level up. The reason for their design is, as you went on to explain, to give you a better chance to max out the modifier without (character) leveling up like crazy. This is important because the bad guys level up with you and if you power level you can be out classed for the weapons and armor you've found, making the game much harder.
Old 05-30-06, 04:30 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I've heard that you shouldn't store anything in that house until the end of that quest. I'm not sure if that is true but I know that I didn't keep anything at all in that house because it wasn't worth the risk.
I asked someone about this earlier in this thread (or part 1) and he said he didn't have any problems with leaving stuff in the house. I think this is just a rumour.

Then again, I don't have anything in that house, so can't speak from personal experience.
Old 05-30-06, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by rabbit77

Thank you Rabbit that did the trick, now that quest is flowing right along.....
Old 06-01-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I made a custom class, but I allocated some of my most used skills as my major skills i.e. blade, light armor, armorer, destruction, etc. I've logged over 135 hours and I'm only level 22, but I've finished everything except the miscellaneous quests. You do have to be careful that you don't just level your major skills or your character can become very underpowered. Conversely if you level only your minor skills your character can quickly become overpowered.
Old 06-01-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I created a custom class, where my major skills were the ones I intented to use. I don't think I got too ahead of myself. My sneak is quite high (expert) and my marksman and security are high as well.

My magic skills are all pretty much still novice (lvl 22) but I don't miss them much, since I did do not intend to be a spell caster. The only minor skill I am really working on is armorer. I do not care about heavy armor, blunt or hand skills.
Old 06-01-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question.

Can this game be played with the min. requirements?
Old 06-01-06, 04:54 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Have you seen the biggest dungeon in Cyrodiil?

New Content coming to the market place:

http://www.pixelgamers.com/xbox360/n...odiil.html.rss

The lost Ayleid City Varsa Baalim has been unearthed by a rogue Telvanni arch-mage, in pursuit of a fearsome Daedric Artifact, Mehrunes Razor, which he believes will give him the power he needs to topple the Imperial reign - but what horrors lie in wait beneath the Valus mountains; and can you overcome them to claim Mehrunes Razor as your own?

Promising to be the biggest dungeon in Cyrodiil, Oblivion is set for yet another update that will amaze yet again.

The new update titled "Mehrunes' Razor" is a fully-featured quest taking you deep into the fringes of the Niven. There are 17 new magic items to discover along with 12 new books, notes, and journals amongst hidden treasures.

The new update will be selling for $2.99 on the PC but we're glad this follows the previous add-on by providing more meaty content.
Old 06-01-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mok
Promising to be the biggest dungeon in Cyrodiil, Oblivion is set for yet another update that will amaze yet again.

The new update titled "Mehrunes' Razor" is a fully-featured quest taking you deep into the fringes of the Niven. There are 17 new magic items to discover along with 12 new books, notes, and journals amongst hidden treasures.
Capital! Time to load up on some more Marketplace points.
Old 06-02-06, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mok
New Content coming to the market place:

http://www.pixelgamers.com/xbox360/n...odiil.html.rss

The lost Ayleid City Varsa Baalim has been unearthed by a rogue Telvanni arch-mage, in pursuit of a fearsome Daedric Artifact, Mehrunes Razor, which he believes will give him the power he needs to topple the Imperial reign - but what horrors lie in wait beneath the Valus mountains; and can you overcome them to claim Mehrunes Razor as your own?

The new update will be selling for $2.99 on the PC but we're glad this follows the previous add-on by providing more meaty content.

Awwwwwww, no fair!!! I wanted to be the one to break the news

http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/view.php?News_ID=7030
Old 06-02-06, 05:22 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oblivion Patch Next Week

http://1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151176&did=1

It's been months since Bethesda Softworks shipped The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and while the company's pimped their downloadable content to no end, a patch to fix some of the rough spots that weren't ironed out before release has been long coming.

At least the wait's not far off now. The company confirmed to 1UP that an official patch is in the final stages of development and certification, and should be available for both PC and Xbox 360 users sometime next week.

But what if you don't have access to Xbox Live? The company's looking into a number of options, including bundling the patch onto a disc with the Official Xbox Magazine. "We'll make it available via whatever means are out there for any game to get updates to people playing the game," said public relations head Pete Hines.
Old 06-02-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great...patch is coming right AFTER i complete the game.

Quick question: After I beat the game I noticed that somehow my willpower went down by like 90 freakin points! I have no idea what happened, but I went to a chapel to see if that would cure things, and it had NO EFFECT.

What the hell happened to me, and how do I fix this? Btw, there doesn't not appear to be any active spells on me right now or anything that I'm holding that would do this.
Old 06-03-06, 06:21 AM
Uber Member

Try creating a Restore Attribute spell. That should fix it.

Haven't played this in a couple weeks myself. Too caught up in Guild Wars right now.
Old 06-03-06, 07:23 AM
LiK

Originally Posted by Mok
http://1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151176&did=1

It's been months since Bethesda Softworks shipped The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and while the company's pimped their downloadable content to no end, a patch to fix some of the rough spots that weren't ironed out before release has been long coming.

At least the wait's not far off now. The company confirmed to 1UP that an official patch is in the final stages of development and certification, and should be available for both PC and Xbox 360 users sometime next week.

But what if you don't have access to Xbox Live? The company's looking into a number of options, including bundling the patch onto a disc with the Official Xbox Magazine. "We'll make it available via whatever means are out there for any game to get updates to people playing the game," said public relations head Pete Hines.
yea, i really hope they fix that umbra quest bug in that update, but i hope they didn't fix the item duplication bug. it rocks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.