DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Which Grand Theft Auto is the best? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/461786-grand-theft-auto-best.html)

PJsig08 04-09-06 09:38 PM

Which Grand Theft Auto is the best?

Want to pick one for the XBOX. Don't need the whole trilogy, one should last long enough?

GTA III
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas

Which is the best overall? I would think San Andreas or VC. Is San Andreas that much better than VC?

Maxflier 04-09-06 09:56 PM

Go with San Andreas. It's a much bigger game and should give you more bank for your buck.
III will always be my favorite though.

sureAV421 04-09-06 09:56 PM

Aren't these available for cheap as a trilogy? I liked 3 the best, never finished SA.

TheMadMonk 04-09-06 10:20 PM

Never liked the aiming in III. Loved VC & SA.

They're all fun. Just get the Trilogy.

Fandango 04-09-06 10:23 PM

Vice City to me has the best music, San Andreas however has many more things you can do and the map is huge.

wmansir 04-09-06 10:47 PM

I prefer Vice City's music (and talk) and the 80's atmosphere better than SA's gangsta vibe. But SA has a much larger map with more assets and side missions, more gameplay types, more minigames and a longer and more involved main story.

I would go with San Andreas if I had to pick one.

Joe Molotov 04-10-06 12:02 AM

San Andreas.

It's bigger, it's got more side-quests and extra things to do, and it's the only one I ever felt compelled to beat.

Supermallet 04-10-06 12:18 AM

Get the original on PS1. :D

RobLutter 04-10-06 02:57 AM

Grand Theft Auto 2 on Sega Dreamcast....

GTA2 was the game where you picked up a busload of people, drove them into a sausage factory, changed them into weiners, and then served them on the streets as revenge. Beat that San Andreas, lol.

Qui Gon Jim 04-10-06 05:39 AM

I have seen the GTA Trilogy for PS2 in the $9.99 previously used bins at EB. I know you were asking for XBox though.

chess 04-10-06 06:53 AM

Although I know the other two are "better", I've gotta go with III...just for nostalgia's sake.

Vice City was a lot of fun too and had a better interface across the board.

I never made it out of the first city in San Andreas...just something about the whole "Boyz in the Hood" vibe that didn't work for me.

The Franchise 04-10-06 11:41 AM

Best memories and best original music have to go to III
Best licensed music has to go to VC, plus Ray Liota's voice acting was great
Hugest map and gameplay variety has to go to SA.

I've had a hard time getting into SA truth be told. It's almost too big! Plus the missions have too many submissions which leads to a lot of restarting and reloading.

joshd2012 04-10-06 02:04 PM

Vice City.

The music was the best and the voice acting was great. Plus, I love Scarface.

fumanstan 04-10-06 04:32 PM

Vice City.

Cardiff Giant11 04-10-06 04:35 PM

I liked Vice City and GTA3 alot but didn't really get into San Andreas, just didn't really like it. Maybe I was all GTA'd out by then.

TheNightFlier 04-10-06 06:17 PM

Vice City.

PJsig08 04-10-06 06:32 PM

Is San Andreas too big for its own good? Seems like the massive size of it makes it a turnoff when it takes forever to get around...

Joe Molotov 04-10-06 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by PJsig08
Is San Andreas too big for its own good? Seems like the massive size of it makes it a turnoff when it takes forever to get around...

The map is divided into 3 major sections. All your current missions will be in whatever sections you're in at the moment, and by the time you get to the 2nd and 3rd areas, you have other means of transportation that let you get around faster. I beat the main storyline and most of the major sidequests in about 35 hours, so it's not like it takes forever to do it.

lamphorn 04-10-06 07:20 PM

For me it's Vice City:

The control is much better on Vice City. They changed some of the mechanics and made getting around in San Andreas a pain in the ass (no walking backwards, etc..).

The mood and music was really a lot of fun in Vice City. I've been unable to get into San Andreas cause it's so ghetto.

I grew up in Miami during the 80's (when the game is set), so driving around and causing mayhem is even more fun for me because I'm recognizing the resemblances to various neighborhoods in Miami.

All that said, San Andreas is impressive. The map is so huge. I mean, until you see it, you just can't imagine how huge the fucker is. Vice City was huge to me till San Andreas, which has three cities the same size and vast amounts of forest, mountains, desert, small towns, and even a portion that I think is supposed to be New England. Just amazing.

For me the fun of those games is driving around and causing a ruckus even more than playing the storyline, so I would say, if it's not more than you feel like spending, go ahead and get both and go crazy. Either one is a very interesting gaming experience.

xVladx 04-10-06 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by lamphorn
All that said, San Andreas is impressive. The map is so huge. I mean, until you see it, you just can't imagine how huge the fucker is. Vice City was huge to me till San Andreas, which has three cities the same size and vast amounts of forest, mountains, desert, small towns, and even a portion that I think is supposed to be New England. Just amazing.

That's the main reason that I've gotta recommend SA, although I never did play VC. The game world is not only good for a GTA game, it's one of the most compelling game environments I've ever seen. While it may not be as immediately striking as something like Shadow of the Colossus, it makes up for it with its sheer size and detail. While I'm sure that textures and buildings were reused in places, it never felt like you were just seeing the same stuff over and over. Every last part of the map had a unique feel to it, and it was always fun just messing around and checking out the sights.

darkside 04-11-06 05:46 AM

Vice City was the one I played all the way through three different times. San Andreas was one and done.

alfonsosoriano 04-11-06 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by wmansir
I prefer Vice City's music (and talk) and the 80's atmosphere better than SA's gangsta vibe. But SA has a much larger map with more assets and side missions, more gameplay types, more minigames and a longer and more involved main story.

I would go with San Andreas if I had to pick one.

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same. VC for atmosphere, SA for gameplay and things to do.

daniel18 04-11-06 09:08 AM

Never played III.

I prefer San Andreas much more over Vice City.

The Franchise 04-11-06 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by xVladx
That's the main reason that I've gotta recommend SA, although I never did play VC. The game world is not only good for a GTA game, it's one of the most compelling game environments I've ever seen. While it may not be as immediately striking as something like Shadow of the Colossus, it makes up for it with its sheer size and detail. While I'm sure that textures and buildings were reused in places, it never felt like you were just seeing the same stuff over and over. Every last part of the map had a unique feel to it, and it was always fun just messing around and checking out the sights.

I will give you the messing around part for SA. Nothing like jumping off Mount Chilead with a bicycle and then opening up a parachute on the way down. Too cool!

Xander 04-11-06 12:39 PM

Eh, I felt that San Andreas got to be TOO big. The parts where you had to go from Las Venturas back to the beginning area were annoying because it takes like 15 minutes to drive it. Although, I loved the town of Las Venturas to death. All the parodies of the Vegas hotels were great.

That said, Vice City is by far my favorite. Big map but not gigantic. Best atmosphere, best storyline and best soundtrack BY FAR.