Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One/Only Nintendo DS Discussion Thread Part III: Smaller & Brighter

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, this fall/winter is going to be an RPG wonderland for the DS!

Nintendo just announced Magical Vacation 2 is coming to the US under the name Magical Starsign.
Old 06-23-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My most wanted NEEDED DS game:

Old 06-23-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ripped from Nintendo Gal, ripped from Nintendo Power:

Nintendo Power revealed in its latest issue that Kirby DS is now called Kirby: Squeak Squad, and gave some new information on the game mechanics and plot.

In this adventure, Kirby is chasing down the titular Squeak Squad, a band of rodents that have been stealing treasure. Shakespeare it ain't, but hey, it's a Kirby game. They're fun. The touch screen now shows the inside of Kirby's stomach (gross), where all the power-ups and enemy abilities that you've swallowed sit, waiting to be activated. Also, two abilities can be combined to create new Kirby transformations, which can be used to alter your surroundings, creating new paths.

The game is being developed by the always wonderful Hal Laboratory, but its releae date is still to be determined.
Old 06-23-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another rip from Nintendo Gal.. new goodies exclusive to Club Nintendo! (Why don't we have this yet?! *anger*)

Old 06-23-06, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Has anyone tried the Datel Media Player for the DS Lite? I has a 4GB hard drive and you are supposed to be able to use it to play music & movies with. I was thinking about possibly picking this up to use kind of like an iPod shuffle.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142290252947

Just a heads up, todays Frys ad has this 4GB HD for $139.99. The only thing is, the picture of the box shows it's for the Nintendo DS (doesn't say Lite). I don't know if there is a difference.

Chris
Old 06-23-06, 11:01 AM
Retired

Having a blast with my free copy of Brain Age. The daily training is fun, and has been a great way to warm up in the mornings before beginning my day of cramming for a Ph D comp over the past couple of weeks.

Love the Suduko game as well. Great interface. Like the notification option with the 5 mistakes until failure. Keeps some challenge, but avoids ending up in the last cell and realizing your fucked and there's no way to just change a couple and that you just need to start over that tends to happen to me if I play Suduko on paper.
Old 06-23-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Just a heads up, todays Frys ad has this 4GB HD for $139.99. The only thing is, the picture of the box shows it's for the Nintendo DS (doesn't say Lite). I don't know if there is a difference.

Chris
Tthe difference should just be the size of the part that plugs into the GBA slot. For the Opera web browser they have two different sizes for the GBA cartridge, so the Lite version has a shorter cart that fits just right in the slot. So, if you got the original DS version, it would stick out on the Lite like GBA games.

I think these media players are just GBA media players anyway, but with a DS cart to allow it to run on the DS.
Old 06-23-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my Lite today, looks very nice Very sleek, sort of like a game and watch with I-pod styling.
Where do DS games go? GBA games go in the slot "Slot 2" right?
Old 06-23-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grim_tales
Where do DS games go? GBA games go in the slot "Slot 2" right?
Just try putting a game in each slot and you'll quickly figure out which is which.
Old 06-23-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, thanks. I'll have to wait for the games I ordered as they havent turned up yet.
Actually I think I figured it out
Slot 1 = DS
Slot 2 = GBA.

Last edited by grim_tales; 06-23-06 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-23-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Phoenix Wright will be getting a FOURTH printing in August.
Old 06-23-06, 02:10 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Phoenix Wright will be getting a FOURTH printing in August.
Yep. I scored a copy from Walmart.com from this recent batch. Just finished getting 100% in NSMB, now on to beating that (after an exam tomorrow) and getting it on EBAY before the next printing drops the price.
Old 06-23-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

idiot alert: I've misplaced my DS Lite power adaptor (in less than two weeks - a new record for even me). I have probably one or two more hours of gaming goodness left before the situation becomes critical
Old 06-23-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Yep. I scored a copy from Walmart.com from this recent batch. Just finished getting 100% in NSMB, now on to beating that (after an exam tomorrow) and getting it on EBAY before the next printing drops the price.
They are selling for over $50 on Ebay right now so you should be able to almost double your money.

I am usually pretty good at finding stuff like this so I am hoping to luck up on a copy eventually like I did with Trauma Center.
Old 06-23-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They are selling for over $50 on Ebay right now so you should be able to almost double your money!

I am usually pretty good at finding stuff like this so I am hoping to luck up on a copy eventually like I did with Trauma Center.
Old 06-23-06, 03:29 PM
Retired

No need to luck up, sounds like you have a ton to play from the CC thread!

So just wait for the new printing in August and score one for $30 then.
Old 06-23-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Well, got my replacement DS Lite today! Good news, no cartridge recognition problems. Bad news....there is a nice big fat stuck pixel that glows bright red on the left side of the screen!!

Now what to do?

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 06-23-06 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-23-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrpayroll

Chris
Thanks for the post Chris. I actually went by Best Buy today and had a 12% rewards customer coupon which they used on the media player which brought it to $131.99. Not bad...now to see if it works okay.

I am not MP3 savvy at all. Anyone know if you can port stuff you have burned to your iTunes to something like this?
Old 06-23-06, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I bought the media player but I can't seem to figure out how to actually play the audio files. It keeps saying "not support ext. M4A" which I guess it means it will not play my files from my iTunes. These are ones that I burnt from a CD and did not buy from iTunes. Like I said, I am not tech savvy so it looks like this will be going back to the store even though I got it for a good price. It was a good idea though.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. Their tech support is long distance and their website is of little help.
Old 06-23-06, 09:12 PM
Retired

Probably need to convert the files to mp3.

You can due that in iTunes. Just select the tracks you want to convert right click and select convert and follow the prompts. You might have to go in to edit--->preferences----->importing----> and change the format in the drop down from AAC (which is a M4A file) to MP3 at whatever bit rate (128 is most common, higher the number higher the sound quality).

Then try loading the mp3 files and see if they play.
Old 06-23-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably need to convert the files to mp3.

You can due that in iTunes. Just select the tracks you want to convert right click and select convert and follow the prompts. You might have to go in to edit--->preferences----->importing----> and change the format in the drop down from AAC (which is a M4A file) to MP3 at whatever bit rate (128 is most common, higher the number higher the sound quality).

Then try loading the mp3 files and see if they play.
Holy shit. That worked. Thanks Josh. I told you I have not clue about MP3s, 4s, 5s, etc. Now it is playing clear as a bell. I have no care to have video on it so this will work perfectly.

Another question, the top screen has a static image that states Datel Media player or whatever and the bottom screen has the fast foward, rewind, title, etc. In a few seconds, the backlight goes compeltely off to I guess help from burn-in. You can faintly see the letters and everything but there is not light on it & the screen is almost completely dark. Would you figure I still have to worry about burn-in. I may post a pick so you guys can see.

Thanks again Josh.
Old 06-23-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What you should do sometime is re-rip the CDs and create new MP3s, because you lose sound quality going from one lossy codec to another.

I think the reason the screen goes dark is to save on battery life (no light being put out=less power). Burn-in isn't an issue with LCD screens, is it?

BTW, I believe the media players are made for people who know what they're doing when it comes to file formats and such. Not that you can't learn-it's not that hard, trust me, but these products aren't really plug and play. Their tech support isn't going to be extensive, because their target audience doesn't need it.
Old 06-23-06, 09:53 PM

you can't burn in the lcd screens. it probably dims to save battery.
Old 06-23-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny, I have seen burn in on the GBAs & DSs that have been sitting as demos in various EB Games stores. Maybe that is only in extreme situations.

Drexl, thanks for the suggestion. I will likely do just that. I was converting them straight on my iTunes and it seems like it is leaving the mp4 file still there and then adding an mp3 file. Luckily everything I have that I would want to take with me I still keep on cd. This is strictly for going to the beach or traveling in the car. Kind of a make-shift mini iPod. So far the sound quality is pretty good thru headphones. There is some minor skipping here & there but it is quite brief and not too noticeable. It is probably because I was saving them at 128kbps and I believe they suggest going to higher than 64kbps. So far I am quite happy & this should work well on my coming vacation.

Anyone else who has suggestions, I am open to them. It is pretty impressive how small this thing is. I will post pix if anyone is interested.
Old 06-24-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey,

Where is the "stylus holder" on the DS Lite? Its' mentioned in the manual and shown in an illustration I'm sure, but its hard to make out. Much better for it to be in its own holder than that annoying plastic bag it arrives in.
Havent got NSMB yet, Gunstar Future Heroes is pretty cool though Fine old-school blaster
The screen is sweet, even for this game (its a GBA game), I bet NSMB will look even better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.