Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Zelda -The Phantom Hourglass announced for DS (Wind Waker Style)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Zelda -The Phantom Hourglass announced for DS (Wind Waker Style)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-07, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Can I just say I have never really liked time limits in games so I don't find myself enjoying the Ocean Palace whenever I have to go back there.

Also I keep getting repeat treasures. I want all the ship parts, but it doesn't look like that's possible without trading. And yet it doesn't look like you can pick who you want to trade with. It's just random from playing online unless you're lucky enough to have someone near you with the game.
Old 10-06-07, 10:07 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Can I just say I have never really liked time limits in games so I don't find myself enjoying the Ocean Palace whenever I have to go back there.
I agree. The Ocean Palace is a bit tedious when it comes to time.

When you get the yellow halfway marker, redo the first half of the palace until you get a quick time and the hourglass is far less of a factor for the rest of the game. Also, be sure to draw the hourglass room before the triforce room to grab the extra 30 seconds in the golden pot.

I knocked out the first half of the temple in 3 minutes 4 seconds, leaving me nearly 12 minutes to mess with at the moment.

Last edited by Flay; 10-06-07 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-06-07, 10:13 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
"press the sacred crest"... that part had me stuck for awhile... but when I finally figured it out... THAT'S PURE GENIUS!!!!!!
Old 10-06-07, 11:50 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Anybody run into this: I bought a ship part, but it never showed up in my inventory, and I can't upgrade to it.

For what it's worth, the part was the
Spoiler:
sickle anchor

All other parts I've bought or found work fine. Is this a glitch or did I do something wrong?
Old 10-06-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
"press the sacred crest"... that part had me stuck for awhile... but when I finally figured it out... THAT'S PURE GENIUS!!!!!!
Haven't gotten that far, but do you have to
Spoiler:
iron it?
Old 10-06-07, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Anybody run into this: I bought a ship part, but it never showed up in my inventory, and I can't upgrade to it.

For what it's worth, the part was the
Spoiler:
sickle anchor

All other parts I've bought or found work fine. Is this a glitch or did I do something wrong?
Never ran into that. Has anyone found out the secret to trade items with other people yet? It involves a "magic box."
Old 10-07-07, 11:01 AM

I just got done with the Ghost Ship... and I'm not finding the bosses very challenging.

Spoiler:
Of the four so far, he only one to give me fits were the Sisters... just because of my own ineptitude in volleying the shot.

The other three were quite simple... but the Crab was a joke.

I know I say this now... but I have a feeling things are going to get harder.
Old 10-07-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 911 Likes on 672 Posts
Never ran into that. Has anyone found out the secret to trade items with other people yet? It involves a "magic box."
Spoiler:
It's on the main island. I don't remember exactly since I played the JPN version a while ago. Once you get a certain weapon there's an area you can get to with a guy and three boxes. You can see it from the water if you sail to the back of the island.
Old 10-07-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Spoiler:
It's on the main island. I don't remember exactly since I played the JPN version a while ago. Once you get a certain weapon there's an area you can get to with a guy and three boxes. You can see it from the water if you sail to the back of the island.
Yeah I found it. I was wondering if anyone else did so that we could trade some items. I have so many multiples of ship parts which is really annoying.
Old 10-07-07, 02:28 PM

Yeah I found it. I was wondering if anyone else did so that we could trade some items. I have so many multiples of ship parts which is really annoying.
I found it about an hour ago. Gotta get my DS back online and see who I connect with.
Old 10-07-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just beat the game. The final boss took a while, but was very easy. I only needed one potion to go through the battle. It was actually a fun and varied boss though.
Old 10-07-07, 05:33 PM

I just got done with the Ghost Ship... and I'm not finding the bosses very challenging.

Spoiler:
Of the four so far, he only one to give me fits were the Sisters... just because of my own ineptitude in volleying the shot.

The other three were quite simple... but the Crab was a joke.

I know I say this now... but I have a feeling things are going to get harder.
I jinxed myself with this post.

I'm in the...

Spoiler:
Goron Temple fighting that dinosaur looking thing... and having a heckuva time wth it.

Help?
Old 10-07-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I jinxed myself with this post.

I'm in the...

Spoiler:
Goron Temple fighting that dinosaur looking thing... and having a heckuva time wth it.

Help?
Spoiler:
When you are separated from him by the quicksand, you take control of your Goron buddy. You roll around to his side and hit him on his side by hitting him by jumping at him by poking him with the stylus. This is done the same way you would target a character with link. You'll know you hit him right because he'll go up on 2 legs. When he gets up on 2 legs hit him again and again and again on his side, and you will see him start to fall over. When he is on his side his mouth will open. Then you switch to Link and use a Bombchu and guide it into his mouth. Repeat process a few times.

The second part of the fight you are on your own. At one point he starts sucking up air. When he does this throw a regular bomb, and that will allow you to hit the point on top of his back. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 10-12-07, 01:19 PM

I just found the uncharted...
Spoiler:
DS-shaped Island.

Pretty funny.
Old 10-12-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finished this game earlier in the week. Big spoiler for those who haven't finished yet:
Spoiler:
I really liked the fake-out ending. The "last boss" seemed way too easy, and then when Bellum reappeared during the "final cutscene", it genuinely surprised me. The real final fights weren't terribly challenging, but they were fun.

I do wish the game was just a little bit longer, and my only real complaint is the repetition of the Temple of the Ocean King. At least you can access shortcuts as you get more items, and there is a checkpoint, but I found it annoying to redo the same puzzles over and over. The rest of the game is fantastic, and I'll probably spend more time exploring uncharted islands and performing the optional tasks.
Old 10-12-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 911 Likes on 672 Posts
The Temple was very annoying. So the English name is Temple of the Ocean King? When I was playing the JPN version I always just referred to it as the Hourglass Temple.
Old 10-12-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
The Temple was very annoying. So the English name is Temple of the Ocean King? When I was playing the JPN version I always just referred to it as the Hourglass Temple.
I'm just going off of memory, but I think that's what it is.
Old 10-15-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI - do some treasure chest hunting in the ocean. Yesterday I got a chest with 30 extra seconds of golden sand.
Old 10-15-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
FYI - do some treasure chest hunting in the ocean. Yesterday I got a chest with 30 extra seconds of golden sand.
Well I already beat the game, but I did find a bunch of treasure chests with sand in them. The time wasn't a problem, I just hate the idea of time limits.
Old 10-15-07, 04:40 PM

Well...
Spoiler:
I have the Phantom Sword and am heading into the Temple of the Ocean King...
Wish me luck!
Old 10-16-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well...
Spoiler:
I have the Phantom Sword and am heading into the Temple of the Ocean King...
Wish me luck!
A little tip for you.
Spoiler:
Now that you can kill the enemies make sure to try and kill them in whatever room you are in. Treasure chests appear whenever you accomplish this.
Old 10-16-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
My copy from FV should be here this week, which gives me just enough time to beat Metroid Prime 3. So many good games this year from the Big N!
Old 10-17-07, 07:45 AM

Well I finished the game last night. It was quite the adventure. A little shorter than I would have liked it to have been, but a fulfilling experience to say the least.

A little tip for you.
Spoiler:
Now that you can kill the enemies make sure to try and kill them in whatever room you are in. Treasure chests appear whenever you accomplish this.
Yeah, I figured that out when I went back to the Ocean Temple and thought to myself... I wonder if it'll work. And it did. It made things soooo much easier. Now to go back and finish them all off. Hehehe!

Okay... a few comments/questions:

1) Did anyone get a higher stamina than 5 for their boat? No matter what I did, I couldn't get higher than 5 hearts. Maybe I just didn't have enough pieces.

2) I finished the game with 12 heart containers. I assume that there are 16 and I'm sure the rest are buried at seas or the result of winning a game.

I'm going to spoilerize these last few:
Spoiler:
3) Are there only three mini-games (Ship Targets, Shooting Range, Dee Es Island Race)?

4) Is there not a "Cave of Challenges" or whatever they are called? You know, that never ending onslaught of baddies that you keep going down and down down through and get wicked rewards?

5) No mention of Gannon? I guess the pig needed a break.

6) I'm going to stick to my comment that while fighting the bosses was cool and the tricks with the stylus were great, the difficulty wasn't that hard ('cept for a few). Overall, the bosses seemed weak to me. It was nice to not have that seemly impossible frustration while fighting them, but once you find their rhythm (and with a few potions), I would whoop them on the first or second fight. But the coolness factor of the bosses and the battles outweighed the easiness.

Cool game though. I'd give it a 9/10 and solidly recommend it to everyone who is a Zelda fan.

Now I think I'll finally start Twilight Princess. I've had it since May, but haven't played it yet.
Old 10-17-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Now I think I'll finally start Twilight Princess. I've had it since May, but haven't played it yet.
Oh dang, you are in for a treat. Twilight Princess was a really good adventure.
Old 10-17-07, 09:45 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I think my boat's up to six stamina, through a combination of demon parts and shell parts.

Question about the ice palace:
Spoiler:
I'm at the part where you string a tightrope across two posts and there are two eyes on the wall above you. But every time I shoot an arrow at either eye, the eyes close. What's the trick here?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.