Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Free Live Gold weekend announced

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Free Live Gold weekend announced

REDMOND, Wash. — March 10, 2006 — Microsoft Corp. today announced the first Free Xbox Live® Gold Weekend, presented courtesy of Verizon. From March 31 through April 2, Xbox 360™ gamers are invited to connect to Xbox Live and enjoy an action-packed weekend of multiplayer gaming in a community of 2 million players, free of charge.

The Verizon-sponsored Free Xbox Live Gold Weekend will feature 72 hours of nonstop events, constituting the largest programming effort of online Xbox® multiplayer games ever. Events will include the following:

· A 72-hour multiplayer schedule of the most exciting games on Xbox 360

· Xbox Live Arcade leaderboard tournaments

· Xbox Live Play and Win contests

· Xbox Live veterans hosting new gamers on Xbox Live

In addition, the exclusive Verizon One Million Microsoft Points giveaway offers gamers the chance to win points to purchase the latest Xbox Live Marketplace digital downloadable content, including Xbox Live Arcade titles and the hottest game and entertainment content, while supplies last.

“This blend of technology — Xbox 360 and a Verizon broadband connection — gives gamers the best possible online experience,” said Jerri DeVard, senior vice president of national marketing and brand management for Verizon. “We think that providing gamers with exposure to this amazing service combination will change the way they view their Xbox 360 and gaming in general. Verizon is proud to deliver the first-ever Free Xbox Live Gold Weekend.”

Xbox Live momentum has accelerated since Xbox 360 was launched, with more than half of all Xbox 360 owners connecting with the online games and entertainment service, which boasts a worldwide community of more than 2 million members.

Verizon provides high-speed broadband connections to more than 5.1 million American households, providing digital subscriber line (DSL) access at various speeds and even faster access services using the company’s all-fiber-optic FiOS Internet service, available at downstream speeds up to 5 megabits per second (Mbps), 15 Mbps and 30 Mbps.

“The Verizon sponsorship is a gaming platform first, demonstrating that online gaming through Xbox Live is a proven form of mainstream entertainment,” said Peter Moore, corporate vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft. “We commend Verizon for providing Xbox 360 gamers with the opportunity to play exciting new games with or against anyone, anywhere, for free.”

Additional details about the Verizon-sponsored Free Xbox Live Gold Weekend events can be found online at http://www.xbox.com/livegoldweekend.
Old 03-10-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who else thinks that on these Free Gold weekends it would be better just to stay away from live all together? I can only imagine the number of pre teen loudmouths will go up exponentially in those few days.
Old 03-10-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, it could be a crazy weekend...or one to stick to arcade games. You can practice your geo wars!
Old 03-10-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I'll definately play people on my friends lists only on that weekend.
Old 03-10-06, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
yeah, it could be a crazy weekend...or one to stick to arcade games. You can practice your geo wars!
You're right and I can also check out the other Arcade titles I wanted to try, Zuma, Koloki X, Marble Blasters. sounds good to me
Old 03-10-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think they're going to let you DL the games for Free Martin, they're just letting the losers, er... people who don't play on Live, play for free. AKA every modder in the history of the universe on Halo 2 for one very special weekend.
Old 03-10-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1
You're right and I can also check out the other Arcade titles I wanted to try, Zuma, Koloki X, Marble Blasters. sounds good to me
Can't you get the demo with Silver?

(Note: You have to pay for the full game regardless of whether you have XBL Silver or Gold).
Old 03-10-06, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by DamingR
I don't think they're going to let you DL the games for Free Martin, they're just letting the losers, er... people who don't play on Live, play for free. AKA every modder in the history of the universe on Halo 2 for one very special weekend.
No what I mean is that I'll download the demos and actually check the games out, I haven't played any arcade games besides GeoWars, and I love those types of games; but with the weekend being let every asshole with an internet connection come ruin my good time weekend I'll get to try them.
Old 03-11-06, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by kakihara1
Who else thinks that on these Free Gold weekends it would be better just to stay away from live all together? I can only imagine the number of pre teen loudmouths will go up exponentially in those few days.
Granted I have only been back in the Halo mix for a few days now, but I still have yet to play a game where there was not any smart ass dick spouting off at the mouth cuz he just killed me or won the f'n game. Hell, even when I have won I have to listen to their shit.

For some reason I do not think that these weekends can add to the number of assholes on live. I think that there are allready on it.