RIP: Xbox 360 just died

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

RIP: Xbox 360 just died

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a joke. You drop 400 big on a system and they can't even give you a full year for warranty? That is utter BS. It's like they knew there was going to be a significant failure rate at the outset so they put a short warranty on it so you would have to shell out another 400 in 6 months.
Old 03-07-06, 10:26 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by llars
What a joke. You drop 400 big on a system and they can't even give you a full year for warranty? That is utter BS. It's like they knew there was going to be a significant failure rate at the outset so they put a short warranty on it so you would have to shell out another 400 in 6 months.
...Same with Sony. Sony had MAJOR problems with the PS2, still does. Enough to the fact that a lawsuit was filed and Sony had to repair PS2s for free regardless of where and when they were purchased. Atleast Microsoft is doing it for free and VERY fast.

Nintendo offers a 1 year warranty on all hardware. However having a Nintendo system break is like having a working launch PS2 system...
Old 03-07-06, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sony, MS, and Nintendo aside, what hardware manufactures offer more then 90 days warranty these days?

I know toshiba TV's have a 1 year, is that standard on TV's?
Old 03-07-06, 11:30 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
Sony, MS, and Nintendo aside, what hardware manufactures offer more then 90 days warranty these days?

I know toshiba TV's have a 1 year, is that standard on TV's?
Very few places. People expect things to last forever. That $20 blender, if it breaks in 4 years, you BETTER get you're money back from Wal-Mart!
Old 03-08-06, 12:32 AM

I am not asking for a 10 year warranty, but one year should be a minumum. Check out Costco's return policy. They will give a refund after the manufacturers warranty period.
Old 03-08-06, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Ah, , if my PS2 dies I'll be buying another.. I've been inside of it too many times.
Sounds like you're talking about your girlfriend.
Old 03-08-06, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Since this seems to be a problem for launch day people, could it be narrowed down to a specific store's supply?

The people that are having issues, where did you buy your 360?
Best Buy on launch day via internet sale as a preferred Reward Zone member.
Old 03-08-06, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Nintendo offers a 1 year warranty on all hardware. However having a Nintendo system break is like having a working launch PS2 system...

Nintendo has done the 1 year warranty thing for a long time and Sony started doing it as well with the PStwo and PSP. Kind of wish Microsoft did it as well, but it seems they are still willing to fix stuff out of warranty.
Old 03-08-06, 07:09 AM
Banned

...Same with Sony. Sony had MAJOR problems with the PS2, still does.
I wasn't aware the slim model had any functional problems at all. Care to eloborate?

Enough to the fact that a lawsuit was filed and Sony had to repair PS2s for free regardless of where and when they were purchased.
Oh yeah, the lawsuit. How is that going? I mean, its been a few years since that was filed, has it hit a court room yet?

Guess that makes me the luckiest man in the world.
Old 03-08-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine took less than a week to get back when I sent it off.
Old 03-13-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Mine started acting weird last week and I am waiting for the return box to arrive today. My problem was brand new and I stumped the two MS CSRs I talked to; although one had never heard of a city named after a state, I guess he remembered once I named off KC and NYC as well. I will say MS has great customer service, aside from one kid (an American) not knowing 3 cities sharing their state's name.

I threw in GRAW after not playing the 360 in about a week and a half. I was just in the beginning of training when it jumps to the dashboard and kicks out the CD tray. I close the tray and begin to play again, after about 2 minutes of play same thing. I turn it off and unplug it and try again, same thing, except now I can not close the tray by either the on screen comand or the button on the tray, and the power button is constantly flashing green. I call MS and he thinks it is GRAW, okay I go to play some Tiger. I am selecting a song to play when it occurs again. Flashing and no resonce from the tray. I call MS again and he says he is shipping a return box. I stated on the phone I am glad it happened today (Thursday and not a week from today, he ask why, and I say because a week from today it will be 91 days since I purchased. He said not to go on the 90 days, that it is a roulette with actual warranties. He said my warranty was valid until 6/21/06, instead of 03/15/06. He stated he has seen them as short as April and as long as November.

I will be picking up an extended warranty, but where would be the best place? MS, Best Buy, Circuit? MS will ship you the box and you can send in only the box. BB I think wants you to send in all parts, but I do not want to loose my HD. Are they all the same price?
Old 03-13-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i would get the MS warranty because 1) it's unlimited (best buy and CC's warranties now only cover that particular product with that serial number, so after yours breaks you have to pay another $30 or whatever for a new warranty 2) Best Buy and CC probably won't have a replacement in-stock anyways (as i saw some lady screaming about last time i was there and 3) if you xbox dies under the initial warranty and you have MS "fix" it with a new 360, BB and CC might pull some shady crap and not cover that one if it actually breaks during the extended warranty phase.
Old 03-13-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I see that the 360 extended warranty card says "mail in within 10 days of purchase." Anyone know if they will accept them after that? I mean, I bought mine right before Christmas, so the 90 days is rapidly approaching. I filled it out and sent it in, but left the purchase day blank. They should be able to find that out from the system serial # (which I registered).
Old 03-13-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by achau9598
I see that the 360 extended warranty card says "mail in within 10 days of purchase." Anyone know if they will accept them after that? I mean, I bought mine right before Christmas, so the 90 days is rapidly approaching. I filled it out and sent it in, but left the purchase day blank. They should be able to find that out from the system serial # (which I registered).
I waited over a month to send my card in and they had no problems with that.
Old 03-13-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Wow, I was just in Gamestop and this guy was returning his 360 premium with a Gamestop extended warranty. He said it was freezing up and the little lights on the controllers were acting up. He also said that all his friends were giving shit for buying the Extended Warranty but he was glad he still bought it. I guess it worked out for him right...

The SUCKASS thing...or at least I thought it was SUCKASS...was that the GAMESTOP clerk made him buy a new ExtWarr for the new 360. That's bullshit. I can't remember but is this a common practice? I figured the exchanged unit would, or at least SHOULD be covered under the original warranty. Am I wrong about this?

Also, when the clerk was inspecting the system he said the guy had a "First Generation unit". Huh? Theyr'e already on to a new batch of units? I know I was gonna wait a few "generations" until some kinks got worked out but I didn't know they were already into a new gen. Anyone know anything about this?
Old 03-13-06, 02:11 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

There have been 4 build dates, that I know of so far.
The launch units had a build date of 10/25/05 or around there.
I've seen build dates with 12/13/05, 1/13/05 and 1/31/05 or similar. Dates might not be exact.
The later build dates seem to have fixed issues in the launch units.
Old 03-13-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Vryce
There have been 4 build dates, that I know of so far.
The launch units had a build date of 10/25/05 or around there.
I've seen build dates with 12/13/05, 1/13/05 and 1/31/05 or similar. Dates might not be exact.
The later build dates seem to have fixed issues in the launch units.

Ooooh, that's cool. I didn't know that. Thanks!
Old 03-13-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
The SUCKASS thing...or at least I thought it was SUCKASS...was that the GAMESTOP clerk made him buy a new ExtWarr for the new 360. That's bullshit. I can't remember but is this a common practice? I figured the exchanged unit would, or at least SHOULD be covered under the original warranty. Am I wrong about this?
I think that is pretty standard, unfortunately.
Old 03-13-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

:
now it is common practice. A few years ago, it wasn't. That's wh yif youre going to buy a warranty, buy it from Microsoft....there's is the only one that carries over. Or maybe if you bought it from Costco you won't even need a warranty since they have a great return policy, you just have to hope they have a replacement in stock

the real shitty part for that guy you saw at gamestop is he wasted whatever money he spent on the original gamestop warranty because his machine was/is still covered under MSFT's original warranty. I wouldn't be surprised if gamestop sent his unit back to MSFT, had it fixed for free and will sell it as used for $350.

Last edited by DVDKrayzie; 03-13-06 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-13-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...Same with Sony. Sony had MAJOR problems with the PS2, still does. Enough to the fact that a lawsuit was filed and Sony had to repair PS2s for free regardless of where and when they were purchased. Atleast Microsoft is doing it for free and VERY fast.

Actually you know what? You're right. I've owned 17 PS2's since launch. Everytime it breaks I buy a new one. I can't get enough. In fact Sony really only has a tenth of it's reported 100M install base since every PS2, sorry POS2, owner has bought at least ten consoles since they break so often. In fact I think I'm going to go buy one on the way home in case the 2 I have at home break this afternoon for no good reason.

Oh and honestly, you can't think filing a law suit legitimizes anything. People will sue over anything!
Old 03-13-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Call MS to see how long your warranty actually is, their CSR told me that the 90 day thing is not 100% correct. My warranty, according to MS customer service, is til June '06, which would be 7 months for me. He said it varies by the unit. He also said you have until the day the warranty ends to get the extended warranty, so I have until June.
Old 03-13-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It seems strange to me that the warranty would not carry over. If you bought a two year service plan, then that two years should be just that two years, regardless if you have to use it or not. If this were to happen to me, I would fight it. Them saying you need to buy a new service plan is bullshit, and probably illegal.
Old 03-13-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

to answer the question: i purchased my original system on 1/3/06 from Best Buy. It had a build date of 12/15/05. My replacement has a build date of 1/26/06. What's odd is that most if not all of the brokens systems i've heard of have been premiums. Could this just be because those are selling better so we're more likely to hear about issues with them?
Old 03-13-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joshd2012
Oh yeah, the lawsuit. How is that going? I mean, its been a few years since that was filed, has it hit a court room yet?
It was settled last year. Anyone effected could make a claim here. However, its probably too late now. http://www.ps2settlement.com/Index.htm

Last edited by darkside; 03-13-06 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-13-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Planning to get 360 since I played Ghost Recon at Best Buy and it was awesome! Should I wait a couple of months before getting a 360, so the problems will be fixed?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.