Recommend some adventure games!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-18-06, 10:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey ya'll...

I was looking to get back into adventure games. A very long time ago, I got into adventure games like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Maniac Mansion, the Leisure Suit Larry games and others. Can anyone recommend some newer games that are in that same vein? It seems like all the games now are strategy and "action."
Old 02-18-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love a good adventure game. That's one of my favorite genres. The genre's not what once was, but there are still some great adventure games that have come out or are coming out in the future.

IMO, the best recent ones have been Benoit Sokal's Syberia and Syberia 2. Together, they tell the story of Kate Walker and her trip through the Europe and into the Russian wilderness looking for Hans Voralberg who is in turn looking for a mythical land of Syberia where he believes the last of the Mammoth's live. The story is sparse, but it has a lot of atmosphere, some fantastic graphics and art design, and a packs a pretty solid emotional punch.

There's also The Longest Journey. It's a few years old now, but it's a great fantasy adventure game. The sequel is coming out this year and it looks great, so you might want to check out TLJ now.

The Broken Sword series is also pretty good. It's about an regular American guy who seems to get caught up in one international conspiracy after another. The first two were both standard 2D point-and-click adventures, although they went 3D in their most recent one, Broken Sword: Sleeping Dragon. There were some people who didn't like the switch, but I still thought it was good.

Indigo Prophecy is an interesting game that you may want to rent (it's on the Xbox, PS2, and PC). It some good concepts, but it's hard to recommend with reservations. It starts off with a great murder mystery plot with a twist, but it has a lot of "Simon Says" type sequences that may turn you off if you're looking for a straight adventure game. Also, the story begins unraveling about halfway through. Still, it's a nice experiment in how the videogame format can be used to deliver a mature and cinematic experience.

And speaking of mature and cinematic, they're a little bit older, but check out the Gabriel Knight series. The three games were released in '92, '95, and '99, but they are all well worth seeking out if you're looking for a good story, especially one with a supernatural slant. The first game has Gabriel in New Orleans researching a voodoo cult, the second takes place in Germany and involves werewolves, and the third is Rennes-le-Château, supposed home of the Holy Grail, and involves vampires. These games do an excellent job of mixing real places and real history with legends and myths. They're must plays for any interested in adventure games.
Old 02-19-06, 12:10 AM
Banned

Thanks for the recommendations.

Although Nintendo satisfied my need for "fighting" games when I was younger, I loved the idea of talking to people and asking questions, picking up items and using them to get from one place to the next. I'm assuming all of these games are like that?
Old 02-19-06, 01:16 AM

Although not exactly new, LucasArts' Grim Fandango remains the pinnacle for me (and for a lot of folks) in PC adventure games. The Monkey Island series is also very good; I believe Escape from Monkey Island is the most recent (and controls similar to Fandango).

I'm not sure if these games are among the "others" you have already played through. Happy Hunting!

Last edited by lawyer goodwill; 02-19-06 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-19-06, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the genre is kinda dead, but If you can get a working copy of the dig, or amazon: guardians of eden, those were about as exhilirating as Indiana jones was.

Beyond Good and Evil is a great adventure game.

System shock 2 and Deus Ex may also be up your alley
Old 02-19-06, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the Broken Sword series as well. Also on the DS I think both Trace Memory and Phoenix Wright are great. Phoenix Wright is very linear but I enjoyed the humour and the cases kept me guessing.

If you don't mind a bit of action, the Silent Hill series is amazingly atmospheric and suspenseful. SH2 is probably the best of them. SH2 is available on xbox, ps2, and PC.

Maybe I'm a sucker but I liked Shenmue on the DC also . Shenmue 2 is available on xbox. Also Sega have a new adventure / action game coming up with is has been mentioned as the japanese answer to GTA. Looks pretty cool but can't remember the name off the top of my head.
Old 02-20-06, 09:24 PM

I'm no expert when it comes to adventure games. So take my suggestion for what it's worth. I really enjoyed playing Still Life. Some of the puzzles were easy, but towards the end, they really became difficult. It could be because I rarely play adventure games.

The puzzle where you had to bake some cookies gave me a real problem. The recipe you had to use to beat the puzzle would have made the cookies taste like total crap if they were made in real life.

Overall, I just liked the story of the game. It felt like I was involved in a murder/mystery movie.
Old 02-22-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
IMO, the best recent ones have been Benoit Sokal's Syberia and Syberia 2.
I have to disagree. I'm a huge adventure fan from the earliest days of the genre, and I found Syberia to be utterly dull, and completely lacking a compelling story. When a glitch caused me to become stuck in the background 3/4 of the way through the game with no way to "escape," I shut it off and never went back.
Old 02-22-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you can find them, I'd highly recommend Sam & Max Hit the Road, the entire Monkey Island series, Day of the Tentacle (sequel to Maniac Mansion), and the Space Quest series.
Old 02-22-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't forget Kings and Space Quest series.
Old 02-22-06, 07:55 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tenaciousdave
If you can find them, I'd highly recommend Sam & Max Hit the Road, the entire Monkey Island series, Day of the Tentacle (sequel to Maniac Mansion), and the Space Quest series.
Could not agree more! The entire Monkey Island series is fantastic. I would add Full Throttle and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis to the list as well. You really can't go wrong with any of the old Lucasarts adventure games.

Though I have not played any of them yet, I understand that the Simon the Sorcerer series is also good. Oh, and here's a good one that I played a LONG time ago on a Commodore64: Mickey's Space Adventure (as in Mickey Mouse). I am not sure if it is available for PC, but it is good though obviously targeted at younger gamers. It's educational too.

It sucks that the adventure genre is basically dead. They are my favorite, but I guess they just don't appeal to today's gamers.

A couple more: Out of this World (old SNES game that may have been on PC) and the Adventures of Willy Beamish.
Old 02-22-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're still working on the Sam and Max sequel.

http://www.telltalegames.com/sam_and_max
Old 03-06-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov

There's also The Longest Journey. It's a few years old now, but it's a great fantasy adventure game. The sequel is coming out this year and it looks great, so you might want to check out TLJ now.
I just saw a promo for the second game in that series and...wow! That alone made me go and seek information on the first one which also looks gorgeous. I've never played an adventure game before, but this series has my total interest.
Old 03-06-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Thanks for the recommendations.

Although Nintendo satisfied my need for "fighting" games when I was younger, I loved the idea of talking to people and asking questions, picking up items and using them to get from one place to the next. I'm assuming all of these games are like that?
I don't know if you have a DS, but Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney fits that description like a glove. Although it might be nigh impossible to find.

Last edited by pinata242; 03-07-06 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-06-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shadow of the Colossus.

= J
Old 03-06-06, 08:51 PM

Oregon Trail