DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Do you have dysfunction gaming hands? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/455433-do-you-have-dysfunction-gaming-hands.html)

BeanDip0001 02-10-06 07:43 AM

Do you have dysfunction gaming hands?

Okay so I was talking to some guys the other day after class to see if they were picking up Call of Duty 2 for their 360s since I know they both already have it for PC since I game with them on the PC side all the time. One of my friends was like yeah I’m gonna get it after a few more paychecks. The other started bitching about how its too hard to control his guy with a controller and FPS should be only with a keyboard and mouse. Now mind you this kid can’t even make the guy in Halo2 run in a line so he sticks to Halo PC. Anyway we started calling him “retarded hands”. Now since I know everyone out here games with different systems and different types of games how many of you have retarded hands when it comes to using a game controller with a FPS?

Josh H 02-10-06 07:57 AM

Yes. I could never master the dual analog control scheme. I was ok at it, and beat Halo 1 and got pretty far in Halo 2, but it was always a struggle to get used to.

Luckily I don't much care for FPS anyway, so no loss for me.

PixyJunket 02-10-06 07:59 AM

I don't FPS much and while mouse is much better, I've never had an issue using an Xbox controller.

That being said.. I'm mildly excited to play an FPS using the new Nintendo controller.

BeanDip0001 02-10-06 08:01 AM

when i started to get ready for halo2 i had never used any control other than the last system i had snes. so i got an adapter for the xbox-pc so i could use an xbox control with my pc version of halo. i was really bad, but now i don't know what i was thinking trying to FPS with a keyboard and mouse. some games are just so cool either way like CoD2 i don't care but would rather have it on 360, but already have it for PC so it works.

kakihara1 02-10-06 09:21 AM

To me the analog controls seem natural, but it's funny to watch people who struggle with them :D

nemein 02-10-06 09:25 AM

ACtually I find the joysticks generally easier to use than keyboard/mouse/PC controlls. Even then though occasionally there are games where I just can't get my hands to do the right thing quick enough to get past a certain part of the game... getting old sucks :(

BeanDip0001 02-10-06 09:40 AM

yeah the only cool thing is old people have BIG TVs :) so um by the time i'm 30 i'm looking at what a 700000000" LCD or something.

Michael Corvin 02-10-06 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by kakihara1
To me the analog controls seem natural, but it's funny to watch people who struggle with them :D

Exactly. I couldn't imagine using a mouse and a keyboard. :shrug:

Josh H 02-10-06 10:37 AM

I'm even worse with the keyboard mouse set up. :D One of the big reasons I never got into PC gaming (aside from not liking FPS, RTS or american rpgs much).

I just like a D-pad or analog stick and a few buttons to push. The simpler the better.

tor_greg 02-10-06 11:05 AM

Why do you call it "retarded hands" when it's well documented that MANY MANY people have this problem? I mean, you act like it's a special case.

kakihara1 02-10-06 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by tor_greg
Why do you call it "retarded hands" when it's well documented that MANY MANY people have this problem? I mean, you act like it's a special case.

Yes many people do have this problem but still I believe it's the minority so it is a special case, I think we should start a foundation and raise money to fight this affliction, we'll have fund raisers and charity dinners the whole nine yards; we need to raise peoples awaresness.

G.A.R.H. Gamers Against Retard Hands ;)

squidget 02-10-06 11:21 AM

Hi my name is squidget & I have retarded hands.
I'm a console gamer at heart but when it came to FPS games I only played them on the pc until Halo 2. I try and I try and I just suck at it. I can get a few kills in but most are luck or the person wasn't paying attention. I just can't seem to turn around fast enough or aim properly while running.
I miss my WASD and mouse. :(

tor_greg 02-10-06 02:53 PM

I truly believe that it's the highest achievement of hand-eye coordination possible. It's like you have to partition your brain in two.

UAIOE 02-10-06 03:33 PM

I find the dual joystick to be less precise for my FPS aiming needs.

My left hand is also more comfortable because i can spread it out or lay it flat.

Supermallet 02-10-06 04:28 PM

I think it's just a symptom of what your major gaming is. I do all my gaming on consoles, so keyboard setups bother me. I can use them, but they're not intuitive. On the other hand, people who game on PCs get really frustrated with controllers.

BeanDip0001 02-10-06 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by tor_greg

Anyone with an I.Q. above 80 should be able to use a control, and I bet they can they're just so put off because the first time they pick it up they get their ass handed to them.

So yes I agree G.A.R.H. Gamers Against Retard Hands Taking Member Applications Now.

karnblack 02-10-06 06:12 PM

Even though I can use a dual analog controller on console FPS games I have never found a game where the controller was as fast and as accurate as a keyboard and mouse. It always felt like I was moving in molasses even after tweaking the settings.

BeanDip0001 02-10-06 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by karnblack
Even though I can use a dual analog controller on console FPS games I have never found a game where the controller was as fast and as accurate as a keyboard and mouse. It always felt like I was moving in molasses even after tweaking the settings.

accurate depending on what type of player you are i can agree with that, but as far as speed wise usually if the software guys did a good job the highest speed setting for a console is around midrange of what the pc game would be halo or even CoD2 are great examples of that.

fumanstan 02-10-06 08:14 PM

Keyboard and Mouse is more accurate then the current crop of controllers. I can see people not being used to one or the other and have their individual preferences, but I can't see the analog sticks on controllers offering more precision on an overall basis.

littlefuzzy 02-12-06 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
yeah the only cool thing is old people have BIG TVs :) so um by the time i'm 30 i'm looking at what a 700000000" LCD or something.

Well crap... Not only do I have retarded hands, but I'm freakin' OLD, too!!!
:sad:

outer-edge 02-12-06 07:50 PM

I played plenty of FPSs on the PC and did just fine, but also managed to pick up console FPS control easily. I've gotten pretty good with the console and think it is just a matter of practice. Not everyone will be fast and accurate, but I think anyone can learn to play one. I think PC is still more accurate, but I prefer to play FPSs on the console now for some reason.

BeanDip0001 02-14-06 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Keyboard and Mouse is more accurate then the current crop of controllers. I can see people not being used to one or the other and have their individual preferences, but I can't see the analog sticks on controllers offering more precision on an overall basis.

i don't so much think they're any more accurate, i think its the user of them. a friend of mine always tried that "accurate speach" until we played halo pc and i was using an xbox control, yeah he died...a lot. and i'm a hardcore pc gamer as well, but the xbox control just feels so natural. IMO.

kakihara1 02-14-06 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
i don't so much think they're any more accurate, i think its the user of them. a friend of mine always tried that "accurate speach" until we played halo pc and i was using an xbox control, yeah he died...a lot. and i'm a hardcore pc gamer as well, but the xbox control just feels so natural. IMO.

Agreed, and the guy is obsessed with HaloPC and thinks he's the greatest but after we easily raped him map after map using an xbox1 and 360 controller he was suddenly "tired of playing Halo" oh and we didn't really have any competition from anyone else entering the room either. I agree the best PC fps player is going to stomp the best controller user; but I think for everyone in between it's just a matter of personal preference.

But at least I can say that I'm able to use both.

BeanDip0001 02-14-06 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by kakihara1
Agreed, and the guy is obsessed with HaloPC and thinks he's the greatest but after we easily raped him map after map using an xbox1 and 360 controller he was suddenly "tired of playing Halo" oh and we didn't really have any competition from anyone else entering the room either. I agree the best PC fps player is going to stomp the best controller user; but I think for everyone in between it's just a matter of personal preference.

But at least I can say that I'm able to use both.

and i'm able to kill you kill you dead!!!!!

Giantrobo 02-14-06 11:23 AM

Analog controllers all the way. :up: I don't do PC games so controlling with a keyboard and mouse is "the Suck" to me.