Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Street Fighter Alpha Collection (+Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-24-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Janked from IGN.

January 24, 2006 - Capcom has announced that it will be bringing its "other" Street Fighter series to the PlayStation 2 this summer. Known as Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, the brand new compilation pack collects Street Fighter Alpha, Alpha 2, Alpha 2 Gold, and Alpha 3 together in a single set. To sweeten the pot even further, the company has also included the PlayStation / Saturn hit Pocket Fighter under its more formal name -- Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix.

All five games in the collection will share the same three gameplay options: Arcade, Versus, and Survival, and it has been confirmed that the titles involved will all be direct arcade ports.

Check back for additional details as they become available.
Old 01-24-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome! This is what I've been waiting for. I've always preferred the Alpha games for some reason.

Pocket Fighter was a fun game too .
Old 01-24-06, 09:18 PM
Mod Emeritus

This would be great with XBL and optimatch technology so you don't get smoked everytime. I'm assuming this is online though?
Old 01-24-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Sweet, i have the Anniversary Collection, and I think I would enjoy this even more since I really liked the Alpha series. And more importantly, Pocket Fighter
Old 01-25-06, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All five games in the collection will share the same three gameplay options: Arcade, Versus, and Survival, and it has been confirmed that the titles involved will all be direct arcade ports.
This is actually kind of a letdown if true -- the arcade version of Alpha 3 was missing a lot of stuff that was added to the console ports (mainly six additional characters). There was an arcade update featuring the extra characters from the home versions (Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper), but IGN doesn't list that as part of the lineup. I hope it's just a case of incomplete information because it wouldn't be a comprehensive collection if Capcom only gave us the original arcade Alpha 3.

Last edited by Dan Average; 01-25-06 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-25-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
This would be great with XBL and optimatch technology so you don't get smoked everytime. I'm assuming this is online though?
I did not check if there was an Xbox version in the pipes but it's possible. Most of the Capcom fighters have made it to Xbox but I think the PS2 versions usually come first. I seriously doubt the PS2 version will have online mode. Speaking of.. this will probably prompt me to get a PS2 adapter for my X-Arcade stick.
Old 01-25-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan Average
This is actually kind of a letdown if true -- the arcade version of Alpha 3 was missing a lot of stuff that was added to the console ports (mainly six additional characters). There was an arcade update featuring the extra characters from the home versions (Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper), but IGN doesn't list that as part of the lineup. I hope it's just a case of incomplete information because it wouldn't be a comprehensive collection if Capcom only gave us the original arcade Alpha 3.
Yeah, I thought about that too. If they're including Alpha 2 Gold it would be a glaring error for them to omit Alpha 3 Upper.

On a side note, Street Fighter Zero 3 was the first import PS1 game I ever bought.
Old 01-26-06, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
DAMN! First Anniversary Collection, and now this!? I am so excited, and this will save me so much in ebay fees buying Pocket Fighter for PS1. I think the only thing left for Capcom to do is to revive Rival Schools.
Old 01-26-06, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Great news!
Old 01-26-06, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would buy this for the 360 in a heartbeat purely for the Pocket Gem Fighter. I'm not even sure i would play the other games, but oh how i want Puzzle Fighter for the 360 playable online.
Old 01-26-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I would buy this for the 360 in a heartbeat purely for the Pocket Gem Fighter. I'm not even sure i would play the other games, but oh how i want Puzzle Fighter for the 360 playable online.
Super Gem Fighter (Pocket Fighter) is the fighting game with little kid versions of the Street Fighter cast. You're thinking about Puzzle Fighter (which uses the exact same graphics as Pocket Fighter.. good ol' Capcom).

There were some screenshots up at Magic Box and the Alpha 3 showed shots of Dramatic Battle. I don't think that was in the arcade version so at the very least it appears to be the home version of Alpha 3. There were only 3 more characters added from that to Upper.
Old 01-26-06, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I would say that it's a safe bet that we'll see this after what will be the huge success of SF2 on Live Arcade.
Old 05-25-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright, the import of this came in and I spent a couple of hour with it last night. First, the good news: Zero 3 Upper (with all the home version characters) is part of this! Basically you start with the five advertised games and as you beat each one in arcade mode, more stuff unlocks.

You start with:

Street Fighter Zero
Street Fighter Zero 2
Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha (SFA2 Gold in the US)
Street Fighter Zero 3
Pocket Fighter

I've unlocked:

Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha (..?)
Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper
Street Fighter Zero Hyper

Yes, Alpha 2 is an unlockable and yes, it is the English version of Zero 2 (I'm not sure what it'll be replaced with in the US version, I don't see them putting the Japanese version there instead). I'm not quite sure what the new version of Zero 2 Alpha is supposed to offer other than a differently colored title screen. I was thinking it was the home release that added Cammy but she's not there! Okay, about Zero 3 Upper, it's not called that on the title screen but when you look at a command list it DOES have the Upper logo. The problem here is that it has all the characters added form the home version of Zero 3 but none of the new characters added for the titular Upper version (Eagle, Maki and Yun), you can also pick from four character options before you pick your ISM in this version (which I haven't explored yet).

Zero Hyper is pretty much the Zero/Alpha version of Hyper Street Fighter II. You can pick from any character and then pick which version you want to play as (Zero, Zero 2, Zero 2 Alpha, Zero 3). This seems to be the main VERSUS mode of the game as there's no single player game.

I can't vouch if these are arcade perfect but I'm betting they are (I could tell a difference in Zero 2/3 from the PS1 versions I spent all my time with back in the day as far as animations at least). There are NO LOAD TIMES AT ALL once you pick a game! There is also a progressive scan mode, so if you turn the shitty graphics filter OFF and turn up the sharpness in the video options, you'll be in for a crispy RGB arcade monitor treat! Each game has Arcade, Versus, Survival, Training and Dramatic Battle modes (except for Pocket Fighter). Basically, if you love Alpha and have more patience than I do, this collection is so much more worth the $30 they're asking for it whenever it comes out here. My only complaint is why couldn't they just squeeze Eagle, Maki and Yun into what they claim is Zero 3 Upper? But overall, that's minor.

Oh, the Logitech wireless controller FAILS this game horribly.
Old 05-25-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Oh, the Logitech wireless controller FAILS this game horribly.
bout time someone agreed with me. the logitechs are horrible for street fighter, especially the xbox one.
Old 05-25-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
bout time someone agreed with me. the logitechs are horrible for street fighter, especially the xbox one.
Dude, the Logitech controller fails at a lot of things, it's just blatantly apparent in Street Fighter. I'm a man of air-tight precise controls and sometimes this thing drives me up the wall. I still use mine because, even with its flaws, it still manages to be a pretty good wireless solution. I really hope that there's some way the PS3 controller can be used on a PS2 since the PS1/PS2 controllers were interchangeable, after all.
Old 05-25-06, 02:30 PM
Suspended

Dude, the Logitech controller fails at a lot of things, it's just blatantly apparent in Street Fighter. I'm a man of air-tight precise controls and sometimes this thing drives me up the wall. I still use mine because, even with its flaws, it still manages to be a pretty good wireless solution. I really hope that there's some way the PS3 controller can be used on a PS2 since the PS1/PS2 controllers were interchangeable, after all.
I dont think that I would hold out hope for this one.
Old 05-25-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yea i know whatyou mean but just about everyone here says they run flawelessly and recommends them (kinda like DDD). wavebird and MC 360 controllers are the only ones to work well.
Old 05-25-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here are some vids!
game select screen
Zero 1 dramatic battle
Zero 2 Gold - dramatic battle
Zero 3 - dee jay's air slash
Zero 3 - version select screen
Zero 3 - parry demo

Parrying Ism
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-6wD5od5pw

This is going to be crazy good!
Old 05-25-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shit! How do you get that secret menu? What does it do?!

Parrying in Alpha 3?! *dies*
Old 05-25-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your answers are probably HERE!
Old 05-25-06, 04:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Does anyone remember Microsoft announcing Street Fighter for the 360 as a marketplace download, available in March 2006? Whatever happened to that?
Old 05-25-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Extra Options 1 - Go into options, highlight "Game Option" and hold down L1 and R1 and hit the circle button in any of the games.

Extra Options 2 - Go into options, highlight "Game Option" and hold down L2 and R2 and hit the circle button in any of the games.
Old 05-25-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Does anyone remember Microsoft announcing Street Fighter for the 360 as a marketplace download, available in March 2006? Whatever happened to that?
MS sent it back to Capcom to work on it some more. There were still lag issues that needed to be addressed.
Old 05-25-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Woo! COLOR EDIT MODE!

Time to create pink Ken with blue hair.
Old 06-14-06, 10:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I picked this one up today, and reading through this thread again, I'm glad I did. All that unlockable stuff is making me drool.

I played it a bit with WhoGirl and I used my Logitech, she used a standard DualShock. We seemed to beat each other about evenly. Against the computer I got whipped, though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.