Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dirk is back: Dragon's Lair III!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-04, 12:59 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dirk is back: Dragon's Lair III!

Heh - well, this was unexpected. . . .

We have some exciting news for you -- an all-new Dragon's Lair is now available! Dirk the Daring, the brave yet bumbling knight, is ready to venture back into the Lair in this all-new adventure! Dragon's Lair 3 features new State-of-the-Art Toon shaded 3D characters with gameplay like the original arcade release.

A free fully-playable one scene demo from the game is available at www.digitalleisure.com/downloadstext.html

Dragon's Lair 3 is available for PC CD-ROM and DVDVideo/PS2/Xbox and features:

* New, State-of-the-Art graphics with Toon Shading technology.
* All the excitement of the original, with new levels, and characters.
* Three new Bonus Scenes, playable after defeating the Evil Wizard.
* Forty-three Levels and Nine exciting Boss Battles await you!
* Relive the arcade experience with this All-New Adventure.

The DVD version also includes an Art Gallery with never before seen images from Don Bluth Studios and the complete Christopher Stone Dragon's Lair soundtrack.

The PC version is available now at GameStop locations and both versions are available from our web site at www.digitalleisure.com/order.html

Thank you,

The Digital Leisure Team.
The demo is just one level - not very much to judge by at all. But it seems pretty dead on to the original, the same sounds, the same 'style' - just tricked out with pretty graphics instead of hand drawn animation. And it's cheap - only 30 bucks (and probably less from the right places).
Old 12-01-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Judging from the demo, this is quite literally nothing more than a remake of Dragon's Lair 3D, with all the real-time 3D converted to pre-rendered movies and the semi-free-roaming gameplay converted to the traditional DL on-rails system. I guess I can see why they wouldn't use traditional animation -- it's expensive, after all -- but if you're going to use pre-rendered 3D, shouldn't it at least look better than real-time 3D? This is just sad, really.
Old 12-01-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Digital Leisure has been milking this franchise for a lot already. No surprises here.
Old 12-02-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Just got Dragon's Lair 3D this weekend. Great game.....
Old 12-02-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seriously did anyone truly enjoy Dragon's Lair back in day? Why release a sequel? They were like choose your own adventure games where you had 1/4 of a second to press in a direction and watch another cut scene.
Old 12-02-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts
I was "that guy" who could get through the whole game for $1.00 (at $.50 a credit). There was a spot in the game where you would die no matter what the heck you did if you got there on one credit. I've never met anyone able to do it on just 1 credit.. It's like the joystick on the game shut off and even though you went a direction it would say you didn't. Nice.
Old 12-02-04, 05:12 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by The Franchise
Seriously did anyone truly enjoy Dragon's Lair back in day?
The big question I have for you before I answer that is: how old are you?

The reason I ask is because back in Them Olden Days, you have to remember; we'd never seen anything like Dragons Lair before. Remember in '84 ('82?) when it came out, video games were mostly Pac Man and Galaga - 256 colors, pretty crappy sound, 2D graphics, pretty low rez stuff. Along comes Dragons Lair - a game that DARES to charge 50 cents - with cool stereo and amazing graphics. Crowds - huge crowds - would gather around the machine in the arcades, so many deep that most arcade owners had to put a second monitor on top running the action.

It was a paradigm shift, on several levels.

If you're a youngster, I could see where most of the impact would be lost on you. Under the harsh light of gaming today, Dragon's Lair's luster would fade. Quaint, but ultimately boring. But it was still quite the breakthrough in its day.

I myself wasn't so much a Dragons Lair fan - although I did sink my fair share of quarters into the machine during my day. I was more of a Space Ace fan. Hell - getting the DVD version, I find that I could mostly beat the game still, 20 years later.
Old 12-02-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong

The reason I ask is because back in Them Olden Days, you have to remember; we'd never seen anything like Dragons Lair before. Remember in '84 ('82?) when it came out, video games were mostly Pac Man and Galaga - 256 colors, pretty crappy sound, 2D graphics, pretty low rez stuff. Along comes Dragons Lair - a game that DARES to charge 50 cents - with cool stereo and amazing graphics. Crowds - huge crowds - would gather around the machine in the arcades, so many deep that most arcade owners had to put a second monitor on top running the action.

It was a paradigm shift, on several levels.

If you're a youngster, I could see where most of the impact would be lost on you. Under the harsh light of gaming today, Dragon's Lair's luster would fade. Quaint, but ultimately boring. But it was still quite the breakthrough in its day.

I myself wasn't so much a Dragons Lair fan - although I did sink my fair share of quarters into the machine during my day. I was more of a Space Ace fan. Hell - getting the DVD version, I find that I could mostly beat the game still, 20 years later.
I remember it well. I was a watcher. I found the game to be not worth my money. But I would watch for awhile and enjoy the cartoon, then go back to Gorf (which was old by that time, but I liked it) or some other game.
Old 12-03-04, 06:32 AM

I was eight and I remember it well because it scared the CRAP out me of. I had wandered off at a friend's Bday party at Chuck-E-Cheese (back in the day when these places were dark and mysterious). I plopped in my coins and the next thing I knew I was dying and horrible graphic (to an 8 yr old) deaths!
Good times!!!!!!! Now I play it all the time at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk (which has a TON of 80’s games).

Wasn't there a similar Laser Disc cartoon game called Cobra Command?
Old 12-03-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I was 7 or 8 at the time (I'm 27 now) and remember being ooohed and aaahed by the graphics but I also remember playing it and realizing I had no control over the game except for a fraction of a second. It wasn't fun even back then.

The first games I really enjoyed at the arcades include: Operation Wolf, STUN Runner (that was great on the Lynx), Turbo Outrun, Space Harrier, Afterburner, and Golden Axe.

Older games like PacMan and what not I played on my Atari.

edit: There was a Sega "Hologram" game that came out in the early 90's that was much cooler than Dragon's Lair and a bit more controllable. Anyone know the name of it? You played as a time travelling cowboy I think
Old 12-03-04, 11:03 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by sho kosugi
Wasn't there a similar Laser Disc cartoon game called Cobra Command?
That would be correct:

Yeah I was 7 or 8 at the time (I'm 27 now) and remember being ooohed and aaahed by the graphics but I also remember playing it and realizing I had no control over the game except for a fraction of a second. It wasn't fun even back then.
I guess I was more of a sucker for the bells and whistles as a teenager. Of course my favorite laser game was Cliff Hanger - or otherwise known in Japan as Castle of Cagliostro.

edit: There was a Sega "Hologram" game that came out in the early 90's that was much cooler than Dragon's Lair and a bit more controllable. Anyone know the name of it? You played as a time travelling cowboy I think
That would be Time Travler from 91 (Of which I *SWEAR* came out earlier than that. Goes to show the memory cheats)

Old 12-04-04, 12:23 PM

Time Traveler!! I was a little bit older when that game came out but I stilled loved it.

What was the game like Dragon's Lair(in graphics) but you used a trackball(I think), and you could store your information on the game to pick up where you stopped playing? I think I remember this correctly?
Old 12-04-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Space Ace?

Anyway - this new Dragon's Lair 3 doesn't do much for me. Think I'll pass.
Old 12-04-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by junkie
Time Traveler!! I was a little bit older when that game came out but I stilled loved it.

What was the game like Dragon's Lair(in graphics) but you used a trackball(I think), and you could store your information on the game to pick up where you stopped playing? I think I remember this correctly?
Don Quixote?
Old 12-04-04, 07:37 PM

it wasn't Space Ace or Don Quixote...I remember something about an orb??
Old 12-05-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ahh, laser disc games!

I also remember another where you control a boy (no it's not Space Ace - I'm quite familiar with that one).
Right from the beginning I remember running and having to select an alley to the left or right.
Next, you have these guys in what looks like a yellow cab trying to shoot you.

That's all I remember other than the presentation was anime-like with the way the cartoon characters were drawn...big eyes, small noses.

Anyone remember this one?
Old 12-05-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by junkie

I don't recall that part of Time Traveler and loved the game. Actually I beat it more then once at the arcade> Time Traveler's big thing is you get those orbs, and you can stop and rewind time right before you died if you timed it right..

I bought it on dvd, but it did't work well with my dvd player and just gave it away.. Not that good either when it's not 3-D.
Old 12-08-04, 02:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by junkie
That would probably be this game - Thayer's Quest:

It had a keyboard instead of a joystick and you could save your progress as you go. It was pretty progressive as far as arcade games go.

Originally Posted by Centurion
I also remember another where you control a boy (no it's not Space Ace - I'm quite familiar with that one). Right from the beginning I remember running and having to select an alley to the left or right. Next, you have these guys in what looks like a yellow cab trying to shoot you.

That's all I remember other than the presentation was anime-like with the way the cartoon characters were drawn...big eyes, small noses.

Anyone remember this one?
Boy - at best guess, I'd say that it was Cliff Hanger (AKA Lupin the III: Castle of Cagliostro), tho I cant say for sure. Does this ring any bells:

Last edited by El-Kabong; 12-08-04 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-08-04, 02:33 AM

Maybe it's not related but anyone remember a game that was sprite base but was intercut with live action footage. Something with space or invaders in the title. It had you on a plane or ship shooting down aliens over land and as you pass over a city or town it had live action people re-act to the fighting happening over them.

This link can help people track down other laser base arcade games.

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/

Update: After looking around the site a bit I found the game it's "Us vs. Them"
I only ever saw this game once in my life I wish I could play it again.

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/...ges/usthem.asp

Last edited by MaDJoE; 12-08-04 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-18-06, 01:39 PM

My Animated, Working Tributes to 'Space Ace' and 'Dragons Lair'

I too, grew up with these incredible animated toon games...and as a cartoonist, I used to imagine how cool it would be to make a game like that!
Well, personal PCs have made it possible for me!

I attempted to create a 'sequel game' (fully animated) to 'Space Ace' a few years back...(it actually worked great!) until the folks at Don Bluth stepped in...

SPACE ACE- KIMBERLY'S QUEST

Soo, I decided to do a complete PARODY of these wonderful laserdisc games...by combining 'Dragons Lair' with FOX TVs 'Family Guy'!

Family Guy's CHICKENS LAIR

...Anyway, thought you would get a kick out of seeing what I have come up with so far...lemme know what ya think!...

Kevin Karstens
[email protected]
Old 01-18-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by The Franchise
Seriously did anyone truly enjoy Dragon's Lair back in day? Why release a sequel? They were like choose your own adventure games where you had 1/4 of a second to press in a direction and watch another cut scene.
Somebody hadn't honed their reaction time & reflexes yet.

Count me as a watcher as well.
Old 01-18-06, 11:59 PM
Cool New Member

karcreat,

nice animation. Peter makes an awesome Dirk, keep up the nice work.