Reload this Page >

Nintendo gets honest with themselves...

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-18-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

joystiq spotted this in NY @ the Nintendo World Store.

Throw in a copy of GoldenEye and/or Halo and you have the previous 8 years of college gaming market covered.
Old 01-18-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it were Super Smash Bros. Melee, then I'd have to have one.
Old 01-18-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WHERE CAN I GET THOSE?!

Mario Party and alcohol is mainstay with my friends and I.
Old 01-18-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I think it has more to do with the fact of the name "Party" and it is a shot glass.
Old 01-18-06, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
WHERE CAN I GET THOSE?!

Mario Party and alcohol is mainstay with my friends and I.
Did you see what I wrote above the picture?
Old 01-18-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
Did you see what I wrote above the picture?
Yes, but I'm in Texas. Their physical store is in New York.

I've seen Nintendo-made shot glasses for Donkey Konga as well on eBay. Maybe these will end up there as well.
Old 01-18-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I emailed my friend suggesting he pick up Mario Party 7 this weekend and he agreed as long as I matched the price of the game in liquor.
Old 01-18-06, 05:45 PM

lol .

The ultimate drinking game now has officially licensed drinking gear.
Old 01-18-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the Donkey Konga shot glass. Those were promo items given out to retail employees. My Nintendo rep normally gets me lots of nice goodies throughout the year (mugs, water bottles, calendars, stationary).
Old 01-18-06, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I love my shot glass.

my buddy who is a Nintendo rep mailed me one of these a couple weeks before X-mas. now only if Nintendo would make a Mario Kart one
Old 01-19-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone know the price? Any fellow DVD talkers live in or going to NY?
Old 01-19-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish they'd offer some of the Nintendo World exclusive stuff online.
Old 01-19-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I emailed my friend suggesting he pick up Mario Party 7 this weekend and he agreed as long as I matched the price of the game in liquor.
Unfortunately, MP7 isn't really that fun IMO. It is VERY slow and can be very annoying at times (moving you all the way back to start, stealing all your points, etc.). You will be plenty drunk before a match is halfway over.
Old 01-19-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Unfortunately, MP7 isn't really that fun IMO. It is VERY slow and can be very annoying at times (moving you all the way back to start, stealing all your points, etc.). You will be plenty drunk before a match is halfway over.
That doesn't sound much different than any other MP.
Old 01-19-06, 03:13 PM
Retired

I haven't played it, but most of the reviews said MP7 wasn't up to the series par for various reasons.

Though some of it could just be reviewers getting sick of playing pretty much the same game every year for nearly a decade.
Old 01-19-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not a big fan of MP7.
Old 01-19-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I haven't played it, but most of the reviews said MP7 wasn't up to the series par for various reasons.

Though some of it could just be reviewers getting sick of playing pretty much the same game every year for nearly a decade.
Yeah but those same reviewers give 10s to Madden every single year and there's definitely more to each new Mario Party than a new Madden (though I agree that one a year seems a bit excessive, especially at full price). Plus it's more-or-less a non-gamer type game and the kids who write for EGM or IGN probably would never know how to review it in that context.
Old 01-19-06, 03:35 PM
Retired

Yeah but those same reviewers give 10s to Madden every single year and there's definitely more to each new Mario Party than a new Madden (though I agree that one a year seems a bit excessive, especially at full price).
Sports games just get a free pass as they're a different beast. They are tons of gamers that own a console ONLY to play the sports games annually. So they don't really hold the lack of innovation as accountable in the sports genre.

Plus it's more-or-less a non-gamer type game and the kids who write for EGM or IGN probably would never know how to review it in that context.
That I don't agree with as the earlier games in the series got excellent reviews in EGM and IGN and most all review sources as being fantastic party games that anyone could play.

I think the lack of innovation is just getting to be overkill with the annual sequels and reviewers are getting a little sick of the series.
Old 01-19-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CreatureX
Does anyone know the price? Any fellow DVD talkers live in or going to NY?
I had no idea there was a Nintendo store here. I have to go. I'll look for these and post the price.
Old 01-19-06, 04:29 PM

I played the 8 player mode quite a bit over the holiday with my cousins. It's a blast, you really have to use teamwork on some of the games. It was fun because it was the only game where we could all play at the same time. Have not tried the single player at all though.
Old 01-19-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So the 8-player mode is good? How does it work? I was guessing that it would be 8 people on the board, 4 to a mini-game. That's the biggest attraction to us this year.. since there's such a huge "lack of innovation" in the title otherwise. I can easily get 6-8 player games rolling on the weekends so we're all looking forward to it, especially since people won't have to wait-out games for their turn.
Old 01-19-06, 07:38 PM

We mostly played the "Deluxe Cruise" mode, its pretty much mini-game after minigame, if your team wins one, you get an Ice Block which will help lead you across the water and to the trophy. Things go pretty quick this way.

You actually share a controller with your partner, and that makes it lot more interesting. One person will use the analog stick and L button, the other person will use the C-stick to move and the "R" button. It works really well this way and it is very playable, the games themselves aren't overly complicated but can require a bit of skill at times. You will all play the minigames at the same time (meaning there are 8 people on screen at once). There are some games where you will have to work together with your partner to win such as passing a baton and running across a narrow stretch to get a crystal. And there others where it is an 8-player free for all, the one that comes to mind is one that resembled bumper balls. There's a microphone too for microphone games but we didn't get a chance to play that because they forgot it when they came over.

There were some funny parts where I was teamed up with someone who really sucked, but to her credit she hasn't been playing games as long as I have (which is my entire life pretty much). You really end up talking to each other and communicating to try and win the games or help each other out. And of course the yelling and screaming at the TV that is synonomous with Mario Party, at least in the group I play with, it's totally crazy when we play.

Last edited by Outlaw; 01-19-06 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-22-06, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do games ever repeat from other Mario Parties? Those shotglasses are sweet, though.
Old 01-22-06, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love it.

My friends and I spent much of 2 summers ago, playing MP4 and 5 drinking our asses off.

As for Mp7, I agree with everyone else, its the worst of the games I've played thus far. It almost feels like the game is cheating to win. I've never felt that way about an MP5 game thus far.