Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Call of Cthulu

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Call of Cthulu

Anyone play Call of Cthulu for xbox. My friend at work was mentioning it. It is a survivor horror game but he says it is not like your traditional RE or SH horror game. He said he has been playing it for a few days and he dosent have a weapon yet, just running and hiding from monsters.

Anyone here play it?
Old 01-08-06, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i picked it up at mediaplay for 40% off. havent had a chance to get to it yet, but ive seen a number of positive reviews as well as being rated fairly well in IGN's best of 2005 piece. (either in the most surprising or most original area)
Old 01-08-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really dug it. It's a horror game in the purest sense (in that it's not an action game with horror elements). You do eventually get a weapon, but if you try to go at it like Doom 3, you're going to get taken down quick.

I posted some of my early impressions of the game here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=442948

I got sidetracked with Dragon Quest VIII and I still haven't gotten around to beating it yet, but I do intend to come back to it soon.
Old 01-08-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
From what I've done so far, according to the completion tracker, it was around 30% done before I got a weapon. Then you get a whole bunch at once. At the same time however, it's more development up to then, but the atmospherics are really good. It's based a lot on the Chaosium Mythos tabletop RPG with the sanity system. In a videogame, it comes across a little like Eternal Darkness with the freaky effects and stuff, but it definitely fits the theme. Pulse (vibration) quickens, breathing gets shorter, vision blurs.

Right now I'm stuck on the truck escape. I can't figure out how to survive to the end. Even with not taking too many hits from the enemies and shooting them back, I take damage just riding in the truck and can't heal fast enough.
Old 01-09-06, 12:08 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I bought this on Xbox, because I'm a huge Lovecraft fan. It's good, and some of the gameplay mechanics are fantastic. It's definitely not like Resident Evil.
Old 01-09-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Wow, I had read some really bad revies so I had passed it up. But if you guys are diggin it perhaps I'll pick it up....
Old 01-09-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Everywhere I looked it has received great reviews. The average seemed to be about 8/10 or higher.
Old 01-09-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Right now I'm stuck on the truck escape. I can't figure out how to survive to the end. Even with not taking too many hits from the enemies and shooting them back, I take damage just riding in the truck and can't heal fast enough.
Yeah, that part's pretty tough. It takes a little luck and a little trial-and-error to get through that.
Old 01-11-06, 10:22 PM

Wow, this game sounds awesome. I wanted to rent it, but it's not available at Blockbuster. Guess I have to buy it.
Old 01-12-06, 05:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Notorious
Wow, this game sounds awesome. I wanted to rent it, but it's not available at Blockbuster. Guess I have to buy it.

If you have a Hollywood Video around try that, I know my local one had a copy and in general they seem to have a better selection than BB.
Old 01-12-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gamespot had quite an interesting review of it, but Edge slammed it. I'm still intrigued enough that I would pick it up if I ever saw it cheap.