Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Who here buys UMD movies for the PSP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
I.... Sony has a knack for staying the course with their proprietary media formats. Not that they are all successful, but that some of them hang around much longer than they should (eg. mini-disc)....
As the proud owner of a DVD / SACD player, I tend to disagree with you there.
I do agree that the UMD was a weird idea for a format. I couldn't imagine spending $20 even once for a movie I could only watch on a PSP, let alone buying a library of them. The only time I'm going to have 2 hrs of untierrupted time to stare at my PSP screen is if I'mm on an airplane -- and I already onw a portable DVD player for that.
With 1 GB cards being so cheap, it makes perfect sense to go that route with the dvds I already own. I'm suprised that Sony claims it "illegal" to rip DVDs onto a memory stick. If they didn't want people to do that, why market a "Gigapack"?
Old 02-17-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joshd2012
UMDs are encoded at 720x480, same as a DVD.
Did not know that one. I know the compression is better with H.264 AVC, but I had know idea it was good enough to get 2 hours of video to look that good on a 1.8GB disc at 720X480 resolution. Granted it will have more artifacts than standard DVDs spread over 4+ GBs, but at that resolution it should be very watchable on a standard TV and I doubt the artifacts will be that bad.

Definitely interested in a TV adaptor now.
Old 02-17-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm suprised that Sony claims it "illegal" to rip DVDs onto a memory stick. If they didn't want people to do that, why market a "Gigapack"?
This is not just a Sony issue, but they are one of the bigger offenders since they have their hands in selling memory sticks and DVD-Rs along with movies and music. It sickens me that these companies want to make money selling DVD burners and discs and 2GB storage cards, but then cry about piracy. Stop selling people the tools to rip you off if it bothers you so much. Sony sells software to convert video but doesn't understand why people would rather copy their own movies to memory stick instead of paying $20 for a UMD? Mindboggling to me.

I will say one thing, I have no problem buying UMDs at a price I think is fair, but I don't see myself wanting to buy digital downloads from Sony Connect that I can't resell if I don't like and that Sony can dictate when, where and how I watch. I definitely haven't been tempted even once to buy a video from iTunes. Seems a waste of money to me and a much bigger rip off than UMD movies.
Old 03-20-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I only have the (free) Spiderman 2 disk. Because the disk is always spinning when playing one of these, isn't battery life limited to around 2 hours anyway? OAR is not preserved, no extras, and to my knowledge, no way to save your place if you want to take the disk out and put it back in later.

I've cut down on even my DVD purchases, because I won't rewatch most of the stuff I initially want to buy. No way I'm starting up with UMDs.
Ok, I went back on my word and bought my first UMD last week. Family Guy Season 1 and 2, despite the crappy packaging, included all the episodes (not just the pilot), the commentaries and features and such from the DVD release, and is something I'd actually watch random episodes of in a portable format more than once. Plus it was 29.99 at bestbuy (it may be a misprice, but it's been that price, even online, for a while now). Sure, the DVD set can be had for cheaper on sale, and I could've burned it to a memory stick, blahblahblah, but it does show that at the right pricepoint and with intact features, even I'll buy this format.
Old 03-21-06, 10:14 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I picked up the two Harry Potter UMDs that were recently released, I think Goblet of Fire was $16.99 at Target, and Sorcerer's Stone was $14.99 at Wal-Mart. A bit expensive, but since Warner is considering dropping support of the UMD format, I thought I'd do my duty as a good consumer and pick these up. That and at over 2 1/2 hours each in length, they would never fit on a 1GB memory card.
Old 03-21-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by PerryD
I picked up the two Harry Potter UMDs that were recently released, I think Goblet of Fire was $16.99 at Target, and Sorcerer's Stone was $14.99 at Wal-Mart. A bit expensive, but since Warner is considering dropping support of the UMD format, I thought I'd do my duty as a good consumer and pick these up.
Way to take one for the team!

That and at over 2 1/2 hours each in length, they would never fit on a 1GB memory card.
Sure they would... and they'd be in surprisingly good quality too. I encode video for my portable devices: smartphone, Pocket PC, etc. at about 80MB/hour of video. With a 1GB memory card, you could encode at nearly 200MB/hour... that would look just fine on the PSP.

But whatever helps you justify purchasing UMD discs, more power to you!
Old 03-21-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no trouble fitting a 2 hour movie at high quality AVC on 1GB, however, I have also picked up quite a few UMD movies when I can find them under $10. Its easier than hassling with a conversion and many of the titles I have picked up are fun and rewatchable so I have no trouble buying them if the price is cheap enough.
Old 03-21-06, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit expensive, but since Warner is considering dropping support of the UMD format, I thought I'd do my duty as a good consumer and pick these up.

Dropping support all together or just being more selective as to what titles to release?
Old 03-21-06, 03:04 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by mrmagoo
Dropping support all together or just being more selective as to what titles to release?
I'm just going by the press release on the previous page, namely this quote:

"We are re-evaluating our position on any future releases at this time," said Jeff Baker, Warner senior VP and general manager of theatrical catalog. "We're looking at this on a case-by-case basis. We're disappointed with consumer demand at this time."
Old 03-21-06, 03:12 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by sracer
With a 1GB memory card, you could encode at nearly 200MB/hour... that would look just fine on the PSP.
I suppose I should play around with the settings on PSP Video 9. With the settings that I'm using, I get about 400MB/hour.

Another drawback of encoding your own videos is the lack of subtitles. I would love to be able to encode Howl's Moving Castle with the Japanese track and English subtitles, but I don't know how to do it.
Old 03-21-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I suppose I should play around with the settings on PSP Video 9. With the settings that I'm using, I get about 400MB/hour.

Another drawback of encoding your own videos is the lack of subtitles. I would love to be able to encode Howl's Moving Castle with the Japanese track and English subtitles, but I don't know how to do it.
You have to rip it to an mpg with the Japanese audio stream and the right subtitle stream, and then encode it. At least, that's how I've done it in the past.
Old 03-22-06, 03:45 AM
Banned

is there an official list with all the titles available and scheduled release dates? i hate scrolling through all the titles on amazon or DDD. somewhere out there is a list.
Old 03-22-06, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by UKingdom
is there an official list with all the titles available and scheduled release dates? i hate scrolling through all the titles on amazon or DDD. somewhere out there is a list.
I don't think is an official list but the Digital Bits list is pretty good.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...umdreleaselist
Old 03-22-06, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by UKingdom

I used to use this, but lately it has not been getting updated like it used to.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/oldsit...sp-release.htm
Old 03-23-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
You and me both.
me three. UMD rentals I could understand, rent a few and go on vacation and you have something to watch on the plane, if it rains at your destination, etc.
but own?
Old 03-23-06, 11:00 PM

I have grabbed a few on sale, but only have watched them on plane trips...which are few and far between. A pawn shop me has them sealed for $8 -10...not bad, I s'pose.
Old 03-25-06, 01:42 AM

I can only think of a few things I would want. If they ever put AD on UMD, I'd be all over it. I could see getting Chapelle season 1 for the right price too.
Old 03-27-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Chapelle Season 1 (the one that's currently out on UMD) is only a best-of... I think it has maybe 5 or 6 episodes. Just a warning.

I still think Family Guy Season 1/2 is a decent deal for 29.99...
Old 03-30-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Looks like the writing on the wall for UMD. Sony might actually have to market the gaming system on their games.

Originally Posted by Cinescape
The Hollywood Reporter reports that the flow of movies on the proprietary Universal Media Disc has slowed to a "mere trickle."

HR notes "at least two major studios have completely stopped releasing movies on UMD, while others are either toying with the idea or drastically cutting back."

Some reports indicate stores like Wal-Mart might completely stop selling UMDs.
Only viewable line from HR without a subscription:
Originally Posted by HollywoodReporter
Exactly a year after Sony launched it in the U.S., the PlayStation Portable's days as a hand-held movie-viewing device might be numbered.
Old 03-30-06, 09:07 AM
Banned

It was bound to happen. Unless Sony can jump-start sales, by adding a home player and/or a cheaper portable player, then UMD video is dead. Memory Sticks have taken over!
Old 03-30-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by joshd2012
It was bound to happen. Unless Sony can jump-start sales, by adding a home player and/or a cheaper portable player, then UMD video is dead. Memory Sticks have taken over!
I think that the announcement of the demise of UMD is a bit premature. I can't think of a Sony-created proprietary media format that Sony abandoned...or at least didn't stick with until the bitter end. UMD is still in its infancy in that regard.

Before Sony abandons UMD (if they do), they'll first equip their Vaio PCs with UMD-readable drives/software, include UMD playback in their standalone DVD and Blu-Ray players, and support UMD playback on the PS3.
Old 03-30-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great news! Let's bring on the games now.
Old 03-30-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
It's one thing to continue to produce blank media and hardware for a dead format like MiniDisc and another thing when you rely on other studios to provide content. Once the studios drop out it is a goner. They could still release sporadic Sony titles, but what retailer is going to keep shelf space for something that doesn't sell when they can use that space for something that will?
Old 03-30-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

YEah, no more UMD movies hopefully. Maybe if they could sell them for $5 or so...but that's about it.
Old 03-30-06, 11:18 AM

gamesindustry.biz
Daily Update
30/03/2006

Sony is keen to remind people, at every possible juncture, that the PlayStation Portable isn't just a videogames console. Movies, music, photos and web browsing are all part of the offering as well, and every communication to emanate from the Sony mothership - be it press releases, official statements, or the huge marketing campaigns being run for the device - is pitched to ensure that we never forget that.

No amount of marketing can rescue a fundamentally bad idea, however - and for all Sony's efforts at promoting it, we have to confess to an almost complete lack of surprise when the Hollywood Reporter this week revealed that both Universal Studios and Paramount Pictures were dropping out of releasing movies on the PSP's Universal Media Disc, while 20th Century Fox, Buena Vista and even Sony Pictures are scaling back releases on the format.

If that's not the first bell of UMD's funeral peal ringing its sonorous note, then perhaps this is - retail watchers are reporting that the format is gradually losing shelf space at key locations, and giant US retail chain Wal-Mart is rumoured to be about to drop UMD entirely from its shelves. Anonymous movie executives quoted by the Hollywood Reporter pulled no punches - "sales are near zilch," one stated, while another said that "no one's even breaking even on [UMD]."

Right now, there are probably a lot of people within Sony trying to work out exactly what went wrong - but from the perspective of consumers and the wider industry, it's easy to pinpoint what the problem with UMD is. It's a bad answer to a question nobody was asking; a poorly conceived format that nobody wanted, but which Sony foisted on the market without giving the remotest thought to how it would fit with consumers' existing pattern of media usage and consumption. Under-specified, over-priced and far too late to market to be of any real interest, it's the movie format that nobody wanted.

Comparisons will inevitably be made with MiniDisc, but those comparisons are unfair - unfair to MD, that is. While the MD format never had legs among consumers in the west, the platform still has widespread acceptance as a recording format and is used extensively by audio professionals and amateurs alike; not the market Sony might have dreamed of, but a worthy niche. MD's hopes of being picked up as a de facto standard for consumer audio were largely destroyed by the fact that it didn't offer big enough benefits over CD for the average consumer, while early adopters were keenly aware of MP3 players being on the horizon. Squeezed between these two juggernauts, MD popped out of existence in the consumer space.

UMD, unlike MD, has no useful application outside of being a format for games and movies on the PSP; when the movies side of that application disappears, UMD will simply be a proprietary game format, much like GameCube discs are. Like MD, it too is failing to catch the interest of the early adopter market because of the existence of the far superior digital formats around the corner - even now, anyone with a little technical savvy can convert their own DVDs or other movies into a format that can be played off a PSP Memory Stick - but on the other side, there's no established format it's fighting against. What it's fighting against on a mass-market level is pure apathy.

It's certainly true that nobody asked for or wanted a disc format for portable movie playback. Why on earth would anyone want to pay the price of a DVD just in order to get a lower resolution version of the movie that can only be played back on one device, when you could just buy the DVD and rip the content to watch on the PSP as well as owning a full-scale version to watch at home? However, in the mass market, there's still a big question over whether anyone has even asked for any kind of player for watching movies on the go. Portable video is not the same as portable audio; unlike the passive experience of listening to audio on the move, video is an invasive, attention-grabbing activity which simply doesn't fit into the lifestyles of very many people. Where it does fit, it's in the form of bite sized chunks - TV episodes, news broadcasts, even sports highlights or music videos - which are far better delivered digitally over a network than on a static disc.

Of course, Sony has a solution for that too, and we expect that digital delivery of video content to PSP is going to be a big market in future; the platform isn't about to stop being a video player just because UMD dies a death. However, millions of pounds have been pumped into bringing UMD to life, and then keeping it on life support - and both Sony and its partners need to think hard about the kind of outdated, foolish thinking that has brought us to this juncture. The crux, we suspect, is the comment we made above about buying a DVD and ripping it to a digital format to use on your PSP; an action which seems perfectly natural and normal to the majority of consumers, just like copying a CD to tape to listen to in your car used to be, but which fills media companies with horror.

These companies don't believe that consumers should be allowed to do as they please with the media they buy. In their world, if you buy a DVD, you should then have to buy the same film again on UMD to watch it on your PSP; buy it again from the iTunes store to watch it on your iPod video, or from your carrier to watch a clip of it on your mobile phone. You should pay again for the HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disc to see a high definition version. If you buy a music CD, the music company dreams of you having to buy it again to listen to it on your portable player, and again once more to have a sample from it on your mobile phone. After all, most people had to replace their tapes when CD arrived, or their VHS cassettes when DVD came along; why should it be any different now, they'll reason.

The reason it's different now - the reason that the media companies are barking up the wrong tree entirely, and that Sony sank millions into a video format that floats with all the grace of a breeze block - is that when these companies pressed CDs and DVDs into the hands of consumers, they were giving us digital formats, replacing the analogue formats of old. Digital data doesn't wear out or stretch; it's endlessly flexible, and can be repurposed to play in a host of different formats and devices. We don't need UMDs, because we can make portable movies from our DVDs; and those we don't own on DVD, we'd rather acquire online instead of paying full price for a single-purpose medium (I say "acquire" deliberately, because while I'd love to say "buy", the movie studios haven't actually come up with a convincing way for people to pay for movies online yet, so most people will continue to acquire them in other ways, just as they did with MP3s).

So, the death of UMD is just another crossroads what promises to be a tedious and drawn-out war over consumer rights in the digital age, but it's a clear message to the studios and the hardware manufacturers, at least. Consumers don't want your single-purpose, proprietary formats; they don't want to be sold the same product over and over again in different boxes; and they sure as hell don't want the media companies to try and dictate what the market will look like. Consumer demand will dictate that; it always has, and as Sony has found out very expensively over the last year, it always will. The question now is whether the Japanese giant can avoid exactly the same pitfalls with Blu-Ray - and, perhaps, whether the ferocious battle between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is going to turn out to be a pointless one for both sides, as consumers increasingly look away from physical disc formats for their media, leaving the dinosaurs to duke it out over a market nobody really cares about any more.

Chris

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.