Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Plasma Screens and Console Gaming

Old 10-23-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
How old is your set?
Less than a year.

Gromit - what's the name of this break-in disc?
Old 10-23-06, 01:24 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gromit
but I ran a break-in disc on my new plasma for 100 hours and once again, I have NO burn-in issues.
Please tell me you didnt play a bright white image on your screen for 100 hours
Old 10-23-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Less than a year.

Gromit - what's the name of this break-in disc?
NM - found one here - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6230381
Old 10-23-06, 01:57 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I want to keep this out of the HT forum if possible but isnt the problem of 'burn in' caused by the plasma screen (millions of chambers that contain a glowing gas) 'dimming' like a light bulb in uneven portions? If so, why would anyone feel good about burning their screen over such an extended period--the end result will be an overall dimmer screen no?

There are no ghosted images because its been burned evenly?
Old 10-23-06, 02:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
wait, who was the guy (infidel?) who JUST bought a brand new DLP and had to tweak his setup because the 'rainbow effect' was driving him nuts? Also theres no ghosting in the LCD displays--they're pretty nice for gaming rear projection or flat panel--they're the technology that Microsoft used in all their 360 displays.
I don't know which TV was bought or what processing modes were being used, so I can't comment on that particular TV. From what I've read on AVS, almost all (by which I mean I haven't read one report yet) 2007 DLPs have no game lag. However, the more video processing modes you enable, the higher the chance of lag. And RBE is something that will always be present on DLP, but only certain people see it.

As for LCD, I can see ghosting and other bad effects even on the 360 sets. To me it's a very weak technology.
Old 10-23-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
I vaguely remember the AVS thread in question. It was one of the newest Mits DLPs. The thread started ended up returning the set because he couldn't stand the RBE. He said it was most noticeable while watching Gladiator.
Old 10-23-06, 10:32 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

its more noticible with some movies more than others. Like black & white action scenes. The opening for 'van helsing' is reportedly unwatchable on some sets.
Old 10-23-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
I sometimes notice RBE but not all the time. It comes and goes for me and at times I won't notice for the longest time until suddenly, there it is. But it doesn't really bother me all that much. Although I haven't watched the openning of Van Helsing on DLP. I assume that Sin City must be a real nightmare, then.
Old 10-24-06, 01:13 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I vaguely remember the AVS thread in question. It was one of the newest Mits DLPs. The thread started ended up returning the set because he couldn't stand the RBE. He said it was most noticeable while watching Gladiator.
Okay, I know which thread you're referring to now. The OP did return the set due to RBE.

While RBE is something inherent in all DLP technologies, it's not something everyone can see. Even if you have two people watching the same scene on the same set at the same time, it's unlikely that both will be able to see the RBE. Apparently it has to do with the way each person's eyes scans the TV for information. There's an optometrist on AVS who posted in that particular thread about RBE. He said that some people continually scan the entire screen for information, with their eyes darting back and forth across the screen, and they're most prone to seeing RBE. Others watch a certain portion of the screen for a time, then another, then another. These are far less likely to see RBE. Also, RBE can be affected by lighting conditions. The OP said he could not see any RBE on any DLP set until he got the set home.

So I would not say RBE is a reason to avoid DLP technology altogether. If you see it when you get the set home, clearly you should exchange it. But chances are, you won't see it. As for gaming, many people in that thread said none of the new Mits DLPs had any problem with gaming lag.
Old 10-24-06, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to keep this out of the HT forum if possible but isnt the problem of 'burn in' caused by the plasma screen (millions of chambers that contain a glowing gas) 'dimming' like a light bulb in uneven portions? If so, why would anyone feel good about burning their screen over such an extended period--the end result will be an overall dimmer screen no?

There are no ghosted images because its been burned evenly?
It's just a way to age the display to get past the first 100 hours, which is generally perceived as the most critical for a new plasma (Panasonic says 100-1000 hours but I'm not running the disc for 1000 hours). With a stated half-brightness threshold of 60,000 hours, I figured 100 hours wasn't a big concern.

The break-in disc displays a solid screen, changing colors every 30 seconds. It goes through several shades of whites, grays, blues, reds, etc.

I'm not saying the break-in disc is the reason I've had no burn-in though. Actually I'd say it's more due to my lowered brightness and contrast settings. It looks better and it's better for the display.
Old 10-24-06, 10:30 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Okay, I know which thread you're referring to now. The OP did return the set due to RBE. (this happened with the one of the newer generation DLPs too)

While RBE is something inherent in all DLP technologies...The OP said he could not see any RBE on any DLP set until he got the set home.
You never know when it will make a movie difficult to watch for you or a guest at your home. So if you have someone over to watch a movie and she says "why are the edges flickering on everything"? you can say "its your eyes, not my expensive new tv" lol

If its bad enough that he had to return the damn thing I say its not worth the risk. I entertain many people at my home theater, I cant hope that everyone who watches my TV will have such poor eyesight (or perhaps some nice lazy eyes that dont 'move'?) that they dont notice the inherent RBE.

So I would not say RBE is a reason to avoid DLP technology altogether.
Sure if you never plan on having people over to watch a movie with you.
Old 10-24-06, 10:38 AM
Retired

Meh. I'm going to buy whatever looks good to my eyes. I couldn't give a shit less what my friends think of it. If they don't like it they can stop coming over to watch movies and buy their own set up.

That said, RBE does worry me when thinking about a DLP, but they do look the best in stores to me aside from Plasmas, which are way to expensive still for a large set.

LCDs I just can't stand they way stuff looks on them (mainly not doing true blacks). They have gotten better, but still annoys me when I check them out.
Old 10-24-06, 10:59 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

You just have to pick what you can best live with. They all suck in one way or another.

Im sticking with SD display until they get it perfect.
Old 10-24-06, 01:21 PM
Retired

Yeah, I'm in not hurry to buy either. Can't really afford it now, and would rather wait until I get done with school, move again and get settled in a bit somewhere.
Old 10-24-06, 07:38 PM
Banned by request

You never know when it will make a movie difficult to watch for you or a guest at your home. So if you have someone over to watch a movie and she says "why are the edges flickering on everything"? you can say "its your eyes, not my expensive new tv" lol

If its bad enough that he had to return the damn thing I say its not worth the risk. I entertain many people at my home theater, I cant hope that everyone who watches my TV will have such poor eyesight (or perhaps some nice lazy eyes that dont 'move'?) that they dont notice the inherent RBE.

I can't agree with you there. My HT is for me. I don't give a damn if someone else can see RBE, they didn't pay for my TV.