Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Heroes of Might and Magic V

Old 12-26-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Heroes of Might and Magic V

Anyone else excited about this? I loved 2 and 3, never did try out 4, but I think it didn't get great reviews. Ubisoft is putting it out now, since New World crumbled, so maybe they'll be able to resurrect the series. I was trying to find a cheap place to buy 4 today, and found you can preorder 5 from amazon for only $19.99. Not sure if that's a price mistake or what, but if you're a HOMM freak, I'd jump on it!

Looks nice!
Old 12-26-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I might consider trying it out. I was a fan of Might and Magic, mostly the RPGs, but they drove that into the ground with some failed promises and poor decisions. I enjoyed the Heroes series to a point, but then discovered Age of Wonders, which was much better in my opinion. I noticed Heroes take quite a few ideas from AoW as well. I doubt I'll see a new AoW game, so if the developers now behind Heroes can make it good, I'll give it a try.
Old 12-26-05, 09:53 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

I loved HOMM 1 and 2. Liked 3, hated 4, and pre-ordered 5 for 19.99!

Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 12-26-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

HoMM 3 was my favorite of the series and one of the best, most addicting games I have ever played. Not to say the first two weren't as addicting, its just 3 improved on many things and had better multiplayer capabilities than 1 & 2 did. HoMM 4 wasn't as bad as some people make it out to be but it still doesn't come anywhere close to the quality of the first three games. I think 4 could have been so much better if the development team had been given more time. 3DO was hurting and they needed to get their top 2 games out on store shelves hoping it would dig them out of the hole they were in. It didn't work and Heroes IV suffered because of it.

Since UBI Soft bought the rights to the Might and Magic series I've been paying close attention to the upcoming game. It seems the Design team is trying to stay true to the gameplay that made this series great but also try and integrate it with a 3D engine. From the movies and screen shots I've seen the game looks fantastic! I tried my best to get in on Beta but it didn't happen. For me, this is the first BIG game to get in 2006!
Old 12-27-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i remember having a might and magic game for my computer a long time ago and it was a blast, i'll pre-order this at amazon it looks awesome.
Old 12-27-05, 11:14 AM

Heroes 2 is still one of my favorite games ever. Heroes 3 did add a lot of new features and enhancements, but the storybook-style graphics & feel of HoMM2 gave the game a certain unique charm that I missed in HoMM3. Man...I loved those bright colors I'll take Bela Lugosi-style vampires over Nosferatu any day!

I missed out on Heroes IV, but I am tentatively looking forward to the 5th one. I may go for this pre-order.
Old 12-27-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn I thought this thread was about M&M V for a second.
Any new turn based game would be welcome.
I remember creating a petition for HOMM I asking them to make the dragon more fearsome. (at the time he was barney purple)
2 and 3 were big improvements, but I think they broke it when they added the elemental towns.
4 had some great units with unique abilities, and I loved the hero level-up system, but every game became about wars of attrition and moving supply lines, so I lost interest quickly
Old 12-27-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ordered.
Count me in with 'loved 3/hated 4'. The new developers have tweaked the game world a bit, hopefully the feel will be more like 3 than 4.
I like Ubisoft as well, so hope that bodes well.
Old 12-28-05, 12:58 AM

On second thought, I may hold off on buying this until they come out with the Platinum edition, containing the inevitable half-dozen expansion packs.

This thread has made me want to reinstall HoMM 2 & 3, though. There are a lot of fan-made scenarios out there.
Old 12-28-05, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

HOMM3 = AWESOME
HOMM4 = OK

HOMM5 = pre-ordered on the Target deal (dunno if it goes through). Still, with Battle for Middle Earth 2 coming out, and Civilization 4 eating up my time, I dunno how much time for HOMM5 I will have.
Old 01-17-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cancelled.

"Greetings from Target.com.

We regret to inform you of an error that has resulted in the display of
incorrect pricing of the video game
"Heroes of Might & Magic 5" you have ordered. Regrettably, we are unable
to offer this item for the incorrect
price. The correct price is $49.99. We have canceled your order for this
item. Please accept our sincerest
apology for this error. If you would like to order this item at the
correct price, please feel free to visit
our Web site and reorder.

Despite our best efforts, a small number of items on our site are
occasionally mis-priced. We do, however, verify
prices as part of our shipping procedures. If we discover that an item's
correct price is higher than our stated
price, we will, at our discretion, either contact you for instructions
before shipping or cancel your order and
notify you of such cancellation. This policy is posted in the Help section
of our Web site.

Again our apology for any inconvenience this has caused you. Thank you for
being our valued guest."

Granted, the possibility exists to lose lots of money, but while e-tailing is convenient for the consumer, it also puts a lot more power in the hands of the etailer. Price changes, cancelled orders, billing before shipping, challenging or impossible return procedures....

Guess I'll be looking for it elsewhere. 49.99 is a reasonably big chunk of change, I'll wait for reviews, specs, a demo, and sales. 19.99 is quite a reasonable price for a 'blind buy', especially when I loved 3, but thought IV was pure drudgery, and this would be a coin toss.
Old 01-17-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Same here. I noticed this deal got picked up at Fat Wallet, so I'm sure it got way more exposure than if just a few people here ordered it. Oh well
Old 01-18-06, 04:25 AM

I got the same e-mail....I knew they'd catch it sooner or later but thought maybe they would honor the price to those who had already pre-ordered. Guess not.

For those who want to try before they buy, there will be an open beta on the 19th. I don't have any more details than that. Just keep checking the official forums!

LINK
Old 01-18-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Setzer
I got the same e-mail....I knew they'd catch it sooner or later but thought maybe they would honor the price to those who had already pre-ordered. Guess not.

For those who want to try before they buy, there will be an open beta on the 19th. I don't have any more details than that. Just keep checking the official forums!

LINK
=( on the cancellation.

But thanks for the heads-up on the beta!! I'm hesitant to buy this since Ubi's last purchased property (Lunar) they made into suckfest.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 01-18-06 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-18-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Played HOMM 1,2, and 3 about as much as you could ever get out of those games and loved every minute. HOMM 4 left a bad taste in my mouth and was reluctant to further invest in the series. I won't jump on this one (HOMM 5), but I am keeping my fingers crossed for positive reviews.
Old 01-19-06, 01:03 PM

I can't get to the official forums from work. What's the word on the open beta?
Old 01-19-06, 01:55 PM

It's been delayed for a short period of time....they said they will announce a new date in a few hours and the new date wouldn't be that far off, not talking weeks but a few days. I'm guessing Monday but we'll see. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-20-06, 12:08 PM

Open Beta changed to Monday at 6pm(UK time) -- From the official forums.
Old 01-20-06, 08:58 PM

Great, thanks. I've been playing a little Heroes 3 for old times' sake, and I'd love to try this game out.
Old 01-23-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Open Beta starts now:

SAN FRANCISCO - January 23rd, 2006 – Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, is pleased to announce the opening of the Heroes of Might and Magic V beta test on Monday, January 23rd at 10 a.m. Pacific Standard Time.

Gamers interested in beta testing Heroes of Might and Magic V can visit the official website www.mightandmagic.com for more information and a link to the application page.

Developed by a seasoned team at Nival Interactive (Blitzkrieg, Silent Storm, Etherlords), Heroes of Might and Magic V is scheduled on PC end of March 2006.
Old 01-23-06, 01:15 PM

Yah, there's a catch tho...in order to get in you gotta be a subscriber to GameSpy, at least for the first 3 days. Apparently open beta is exclusively to GameSpy customers from Jan. 23rd-26th, then it's open to everyone else. So, if you have a GameSpy account go to the link below to get in on beta now....

LINK