Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Help me convince my wife to let me keep my Xbox 360

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

You guys.

I'll admit, I had no intention of selling it after I got it. Which is why I started this thread. But I have come to agree with her philosophy of getting what we can for it profit-wise. I am the kind of guy that sells my games if I don't play them for more then a week or so in a row. I figure that why not get what I can for them now, and buy them cheaper or on sale later.

The same thing applies with the Xbox 360. We agreed any profit made from it is put away and used for another 360 later. I am also keeping the media remote, and the play charge kit that I already have.

I won't miss it as much as I thought I would. I got caught up in the 360 frenzy, and that's why I wanted to keep it. I have to focus on work and school right now anyway.
Old 12-27-05, 02:37 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didnt see if you mentioned how long you've been married. I think I remember a newlywed that reminds me of you saying how cool his wife-to-be was with his hobbies. Id add that if she has this much sway over you early on in a relationship, you'll resent it down the road as the roots grow and deepen. She may tend to respect you less as well.
Old 12-27-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I didnt see if you mentioned how long you've been married. I think I remember a newlywed that reminds me of you saying how cool his wife-to-be was with his hobbies. Id add that if she has this much sway over you early on in a relationship, you'll resent it down the road as the roots grow and deepen. She may tend to respect you less as well.
Actually her sway is simple. Make more money, get more stuff. What I make now pays for some bills and such but she makes more than me. We've been married a year. She's not controlling (believe it or not) she just wants the best for me.

My last relationship, now that was controlling.
Old 12-27-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Clothes is a bad analogy for women since it's like food or water for them. I'd say if your wife came home with $550 (2 games + tax) cute crystal crap for the house.
How did you let your woman convince you that clothes were like food and water, clothes are a grayer area than games but I think you can still differentiate between necessity clothes and wanted clothes. I would be willing to bet most of the clothes our SO's buy are not out of necessity.
Old 12-27-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
...She's not controlling (believe it or not) she just wants the best for me.
...and she happens to know more about what's best for you than you do yourself? I guess based on the fact that you went out and bought a 360 and agreed with her that it wasn't the best move, she does.
Old 12-28-05, 09:23 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its a fine balance to be sure. Finding a good woman who can do things on her own and manage things shes put in charge of, but that wont wander into the overbearing mothering tendencies
Old 12-28-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer
...and she happens to know more about what's best for you than you do yourself? I guess based on the fact that you went out and bought a 360 and agreed with her that it wasn't the best move, she does.
She does actually. I don't go and spend money foolishly or anything, she just doesn't want me to get in the phase I was in before her which was work a little, spend alot, and sit on my ass all day with my free time, eating and sleeping when necessary.

She was more mad about me buying the 360 and then telling her out of the blue I was keeping it. I also told her before I got one that I could wait, there is no rush to get one, etc.

So yeah, it's all good. I just hope I can at least make what I paid for it. I don't care about a profit.
Old 12-28-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Its a fine balance to be sure. Finding a good woman who can do things on her own and manage things shes put in charge of, but that wont wander into the overbearing mothering tendencies

She told me when she first met me sometimes she felt like a mother to me and was tired of it.