Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Help me convince my wife that I deserve a GBA Micro for Chirstmas

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-18-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife is dead set against getting me a GBA Micro for Christmas.

We already have a GBA Indigo and a GBA SP NES Classic.

She has taken over the ownership of the GBA SP and plays it everynight as a means of falling asleep... so I never get to play it at night (either that or she hands me the old GBA with the flip light... and I ain't playing that) and the GBA Player on the GameCube is out of the question.

Plus, I'm traveling to a few conferences this Spring (one trip is to London/Paris) and would love to have a GBA to play on the plane, in the hotel or anywhere I choose... but if I take the GBA SP, she'll be stuck at home with the old one.

Plus, she's pregnant (due in March) and she plays it to pass the time and I know she'll play it a lot more once the baby comes... and to top that off, I've been getting up with the kids every morning and getting them off to school and getting their lunches and all that good fatherly stuff.

The only thing I've asked for is a Silver GBA Micro with the black faceplate. She's impressed with the brightness of the new screen and even asked me if I wanted a new GPA SP instead, but I'm wanting the small form factor of the Micro (and the geek factor).

What more can I do?
Old 12-18-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's only $89.99 now at places like EB so its only a $10 difference. I can tell you I have both the micro and new SP for some dumb reason and I use the micro 90% of the time. The controls are better in my opinion because they are raised more and spread out better plus the micro is made of metal so its very durable. That combined with the size makes it a perfect device to always have in a pocket for a quick game.

The only real downside is no support for older GB and GBC games so if you still have a lot of those you may want the SP instead. Outside of that the micro can pretty much do everything else, but you do need the adaptor to use regular GBA cables or the GameCube cable.

The micro screen is also the brightest of any handheld I've used and slightly better than the new SP screen and is actually very playable outdoors unlike the DS that has a fairly dim screen by comparison.

I don't know. That is really all I can think of as both the micro and SP are pretty good handhelds. You might push that the micro is a limited edition and may be hard to find in a few months. I don't know for sure if they are selling well enough for that to be true but what the heck you can try it.
Old 12-19-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just tell her you're fine with not buying a GBA Micro, and you promise you won't buy one.

Then go buy a DS.
Old 12-19-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but I'd need a pair of cargo pants to wear so I've got a pocket big enough so I could take it with me.
Old 12-19-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tell her you'll leave unless she buys you one.

I usually get what I want when I threaten my Wife.
Old 12-19-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Setzer
I usually get what I want when I threaten my Wife.
Not a chance.
Old 12-19-05, 01:04 AM
Mod Emeritus

I'm with your wife, don't get one. Total waste. Get a DS if you don't have one instead ($100 at Target).
Old 12-19-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
I'm with your wife, don't get one. Total waste. Get a DS if you don't have one instead ($100 at Target).
Absolutely. That is, unless you've got a huge library of GB/GBC games you must play on your new system. The DS is a steal at that price and opens the door for many more great, innovative games.
Old 12-19-05, 08:58 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by pinata242
Absolutely. That is, unless you've got a huge library of GB/GBC games you must play on your new system. The DS is a steal at that price and opens the door for many more great, innovative games.
The Micro doesn't play GB/GBC games either.
Old 12-19-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No? I didn't know that. Well nevermind then, get the DS.
Old 12-19-05, 08:59 AM
Retired

Yep, I'd go DS as well. Nearly as good of a screen and will let you play the outstanding lineup of DS games in addtion to all the GBA games.
Old 12-19-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally got a chance to play a Micro and it's much cooler "in person," so to speak, definite cool geek/gadget factor and the biggest impression on me was that text in games was still easily readable (the demo unit had one of the Pokémon games in it). I'm pretty sure the OP is schooled on the DS and seems set on the Micro for his own reasons. I don't know your wife but it sounds to me like she's pulling your chain and is probably keeping a Micro hidden for a Christmas surprise. I can't see why she'd be so adamant at denying such a simple request.
Old 12-19-05, 09:20 AM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I don't know your wife but it sounds to me like she's pulling your chain and is probably keeping a Micro hidden for a Christmas surprise.
That's exactly what I thought. My wife has a horrible time buying stuff for me, so if she hears me contimplating a purchase near Christmas time, she gives me reasons why I shouldn't get it and then buys me one. Just chill until after the 25th, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 12-19-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just some facts:
  • I have no interest what so ever in the DS (call me kookie).
  • I'm really picky with my GBA games and buy maybe one every three to four months (but I have about two dozen GBA games floating around the house).
  • For her its the principle of spending so much on one thing, when she'd rather get me alot of little things.
  • I only have handful of GB games (never had a GBC) and with the release of the Dr. Mario/Puzzle League on GBA, I could toss all my GB games now. Besides, if I really wanted to play them, I could just use the GB Player or borrow my [wife's] GBA.

Maybe I should start a PayPal donation page to raise the funds to get one of these wonderful DS things y'all are so giddy about.

Plus, I'm a twit and have been watching the credit card purchases online. I know, I know, a watched pot never boils.
Old 12-19-05, 12:07 PM
Banned by request

The Micro is okay. The two clear advantages are the small size and the bright screen. But really, for what you get, you might as well go for another SP, if you're adamant about not having a DS. They're on sale at a lot of places right now, and there are a lot of good deals to find. And the screen is almost as bright as the micro.

And you say you're not interested in a DS now, but trust me, as soon as you give it a chance, before you know it, you'll have two in the house, and multiple copies of Mario Kart and Animal Crossing.
Old 12-19-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Goldberg74

What more can I do?
Pleasure her every night until Christmas?
Old 12-19-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

okay get a DS with mariokart that way you can wifi against the rest of the dvdtalkers here!

just tell your wife, look i love you, but do you really want everyone to make fun of me because you wouldn't get me the red ds with mariokart that can play all our GBA games and all the DS games. come on all the guys from DVD talk want me to have a DS so i can play mariokart with them.

and if that doesn't work just be all james bondish and sneak one in or charm her into getting you one. come on now this is dvdtalk you should have seen some movies you could take pointers from.
Old 12-19-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahem... I do not want a DS. I want a Micro. Thank you.
Old 12-19-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The title of this thread makes me very, very sad for you.
Old 12-19-05, 02:00 PM
Suspended

You're a man, right? You provide income to the family, it sounds like? That's why I"m confused by the phrase "help me convince my wife".
Old 12-19-05, 02:25 PM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Pleasure her every night until Christmas?
Alternatively you could just let her go to sleep each night until Christmas. Whichever you think will work best.
Old 12-19-05, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by videophile
Alternatively you could just let her go to sleep each night until Christmas. Whichever you think will work best.
Old 12-19-05, 07:02 PM

OK here's the plan.

1) Buy yourself a Micro or DS or whatever before christmas but DON"T OPEN IT.
2) If it turns out your wife did get you a Micro, then you can just return the one you bought. If she didn't, then you've got it for yourself.

If anything the Micro is so small that you could just fit it in your pocket, she might not ever know you have it.
Old 12-19-05, 07:05 PM
Banned by request

But the case for it is huge for a portable system. It's got a big plastic front that shows off the different faceplates packaged with it. It's packaged like a big action figure, basically.
Old 12-19-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Outlaw
OK here's the plan.

1) Buy yourself a Micro or DS or whatever before christmas but DON"T OPEN IT.
2) If it turns out your wife did get you a Micro, then you can just return the one you bought. If she didn't, then you've got it for yourself.

If anything the Micro is so small that you could just fit it in your pocket, she might not ever know you have it.
Good idea.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.