Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Help school me in HDTV

Old 12-18-05, 10:57 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
rocketsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,500
Help school me in HDTV (update: Check out the one I purchased

Ok so I'm looking to get an HDTV. A few key points upfront... the big reason I'm deciding to get one now is because of the Xbox 360. Also my budget isn't the biggest. I don't need the biggest or best. In fact I think I've already decided on getting a CRT one. I've done some research on bestbuy.com. I'm getting a TV from them because I have gift cards from them i want to use. First question is what is the difference of a TV that is just "HD ready"? Do I have to purchase more stuff to actuallly get a HD reception, or to play my 360 with optimal display? Also should I assume that I want a TV that is 1080i, for both TV and Xbox360? Sorry if I'm asking a bunch of basic newbie q's, but I continually see people on this forum give great advice. Here are some links to some TV's I'm thinking of getting. Critique them at will.

TV 1

TV 2

These are just a few things I saw briefly. Thanks.

P.S. I have comcast digital cable up here in chicago. If that helps?

edit: mods I meant to post this in other. sorry, please move accordingly

Last edited by rocketsauce; 12-28-05 at 12:57 PM.
rocketsauce is offline  
Old 12-18-05, 11:31 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Posts: 8,785
HD ready means you can't get HD broadcast/input without an additional piece of hardware. For Xbox360, that would be the HD pack/component video cables. For television broadcast, that would be a HD receiver or OTA tuner. I personally would lean away from getting one that has a HD tuner built in, I got my HD box from my cable company for no add'l charge.

Most HDTVs support at least 480i, 480p and 1080i; if you can get one that is 720p as well, that should cover all your bases [I don't know if 1080p tvs are readily available yet]. But even if not, it should convert the signal to a compatible resolution. If Xbox360 games are actually 1080i, I would definitely go that route.
tonyc3742 is offline  
Old 12-18-05, 11:41 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 21,708
Originally Posted by dtcarson
I personally would lean away from getting one that has a HD tuner built in, I got my HD box from my cable company for no add'l charge.
You'll have a hard time finding a new HDTV without a tuner built in these days unless you're picking up something really small. I find mine pretty handy since my cable company only carries NBC, CBS, and one of the PBS affiliates in HD. With an antenna, I can pick up NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, the WB, and PBS in HD...sometimes even affiliates in completely different markets.

Originally Posted by dtcarson
I don't know if 1080p tvs are readily available yet
They are, but very few actually accept a 1080p input, and the 360 doesn't (currently, at least) support 1080p.
Adam Tyner is online now  
Old 12-18-05, 11:56 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
rocketsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,500
so is the only reason you say not to get an HD ready tv is because of the need of a tuner (which ill get from comcast)? is there quality issues or differences?
rocketsauce is offline  
Old 12-19-05, 12:00 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 21,708
Originally Posted by rocketsauce
so is the only reason you say not to get an HD ready tv is because of the need of a tuner (which ill get from comcast)? is there quality issues or differences?
If you're not going to use an antenna and will be using a set-top box exclusively, it doesn't make a difference if there's a tuner or not.

One question you might want to ask yourself is if you'll be using this TV primarily for gaming/HDTV/widescreen DVDs, or if you'll still be watching a lot of 4x3 stuff on it. If it's the former, you're better off with the second set since you'll have a larger widescreen viewing area.
Adam Tyner is online now  
Old 12-19-05, 02:51 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 1,040
I'd suggest checking out AVS Forum to research whatever tv you pick to make sure there aren't any inherent problems.
tenaciousdave is offline  
Old 12-19-05, 09:27 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
rocketsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,500
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
If you're not going to use an antenna and will be using a set-top box exclusively, it doesn't make a difference if there's a tuner or not.

One question you might want to ask yourself is if you'll be using this TV primarily for gaming/HDTV/widescreen DVDs, or if you'll still be watching a lot of 4x3 stuff on it. If it's the former, you're better off with the second set since you'll have a larger widescreen viewing area.
i am going to be using the TV for primarily TV and playing Xbox360
rocketsauce is offline  
Old 12-19-05, 10:13 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,576
I guess it depends how much you want to spend, and how much room you have. I'm seen some large RPTV for under $700 (not the best brands, but lots bigger). Best Buy also had a 27" Westinghouse LCD for $699 this week. I would look for 720p and 1080i also, since most cover that these days now. 1080p is not readily available and a bit too pricey as of now.
DJ_Longfellow is offline  
Old 12-19-05, 10:20 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
rocketsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,500
price is the biggest deal maker right now. I know im not going to get the best thig out there, but I don't want to buy soemthing that doesn't get the job done. If I buy a tv thta alredy has the HD tuner in it, does that mean i can get HD channels through my comcast digital cable without needing anything from them?
rocketsauce is offline  
Old 12-19-05, 10:22 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
rocketsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,500
I don't know what these terms are but which do I want, 1080i or 720p?
rocketsauce is offline  
Old 12-19-05, 10:22 AM
  #11  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Blu-Ray: We Don't Need No Stinkin' Petition
Posts: 6,677
If at all possible, get one with HDMI inputs. You never know when you are going to need it, and they are so much easier to deal with then components.
joshd2012 is offline  
Old 12-19-05, 11:00 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 21,708
Originally Posted by rocketsauce
I don't know what these terms are but which do I want, 1080i or 720p?
If you're getting a CRT set, you'll be getting 1080i. Some smaller CRTs will take 720p input, but the display will be at 1080i.
Adam Tyner is online now  
Old 12-19-05, 11:03 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,762
get tv2..... if you are still thinking of getting those
raven56706 is offline  
Old 12-19-05, 11:30 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Decatur, IN
Posts: 1,346
make sure its widescreen!!!! and most new HDs have HDMI or DVI on them for set top connections, along with the standard stuff like the RGBLR cable. as much as i love samsung tvs, i'd say go with tv 2 cause its widescreen!
BeanDip0001 is offline  
Old 12-19-05, 01:39 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 1,040
Originally Posted by joshd2012
If at all possible, get one with HDMI inputs. You never know when you are going to need it, and they are so much easier to deal with then components.
All signs are pointing to HDMI being needed to receive encrypted HD signals. I recommend getting an HDMI or at least DVI that supports HDCP capable display if you want to future proof the set.
tenaciousdave is offline  
Old 12-19-05, 01:48 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
rocketsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,500
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
If you're getting a CRT set, you'll be getting 1080i. Some smaller CRTs will take 720p input, but the display will be at 1080i.
because of price i am going to probably get a CRT
rocketsauce is offline  
Old 12-19-05, 08:18 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
rocketsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,500
for the price and all tv 2 seems to be the one to go with?
rocketsauce is offline  
Old 12-20-05, 07:40 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,576
Check around...you can probably get the 30" for close to the same price:
http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetail...Price&id=27397
DJ_Longfellow is offline  
Old 12-28-05, 12:02 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
rocketsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,500
Well I went to Best Buy with all my Xmas money in tow, and got myself an HDTV.

This is the TV I got.

Open box item only a little less than $700. Even has the built in tuner which i wasnt planning on affording. So when hooking up the TV to my Comcast digital cable DVR box, is it only truly Hi-Def if I use component cables, or will the RCA (white, yellow, red) one's work also?
rocketsauce is offline  
Old 12-28-05, 12:03 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 6,223
You must use component or DVI/HDMI cables to see the HD signals.
BigDave is offline  
Old 12-28-05, 12:18 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
rocketsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,500
that's what I thought
rocketsauce is offline  
Old 12-29-05, 09:31 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
rocketsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,500
well picked up the component cable from comcast before work (it was free!) and will hook it up tonight. is there that much of a difference between that and the red yellow white RCA cord? I was watching HD channels with the RCA and it did look a lot sharper, but I didn't think that was HD quality. (this is my first foray into HD so i wasn't sure)
rocketsauce is offline  
Old 12-29-05, 09:39 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,576
Component looks a LOT better. I'm assuming you have an HD receiver to hook up to your TV. I have a Comcast one, and I LOVE my HD channels. The 360 looks great too.
DJ_Longfellow is offline  
Old 12-29-05, 09:42 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
rocketsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,500
the TV has the tuner built in, does that make a difference in how i hook things up?
rocketsauce is offline  
Old 12-29-05, 09:46 AM
  #25  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Blu-Ray: We Don't Need No Stinkin' Petition
Posts: 6,677
Originally Posted by rocketsauce
the TV has the tuner built in, does that make a difference in how i hook things up?
That tuner is just for over-the-air HD channels.

Component cables are the only way to get high definition (if you don't have DVI or HDMI). S-video, composite, and RF don't support it.
joshd2012 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.