Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

the most advanced looking graphics yet

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya know.. I don't think I'll ever get excited about graphics like this. They make me yawn to be honest. Video games have always been an escape to fantasy for me and thusly I'm more apt to be excited about fantasy settings. Show me what a cell-shaded game will look like 2-3 generations from now. I don't care how detailed they can make a still image of a "human" that looks more creepy than it does real.
Old 12-20-05, 09:11 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope they can create something better than cel-shading, at first it was impressive to me but now I don't get excited for it at all. I'd like to see a cartoon game look absolutely flat and more cartoonish.
Old 12-20-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
That first picture suffers from a severe case of Uncanny Valley.

I'd rather see advances done in gameplay...
Old 12-20-05, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
THANK YOU!

I've been burning to find out the term for that seeing as I've brought the theory up a few times here.
Old 12-20-05, 09:55 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by The Bus

I'd rather see advances done in gameplay...

Do you mean like holodeck? That'd be cool. Paging kvrdave.
Old 12-20-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember hearing about Uncanny Valley. So, Simone will never be possible then?
Old 12-20-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no problem with graphics evolving to the point where you can just about have, or just have, photo-realistic graphics. It isn't like every single game will go that route, and we'll always have developers who put out games with a more traditional look, stylized look, and all of that. I think it's be pretty cool to have games like this, especially survival horror games.

I will say that all games with that look that have any killing of humans in it, should not be played by children at all. I know I wouldn't let any kids that I know play any games like that.

I also think that this evolution in gaming goes hand in hand with the gamers. Many of us started playing games at a very young age. I started with the Atari when I was very young. It was a very basic system and the industry was very young just like many others, and myself. We all got a bit older and the NES was born, then on and on with the SNES, Genesis, PSX, and now to where we are now. The number of gamers right now who are 25+ is amazing, and it all comes down to the fact that we've been playing these games all along, and I'd be willing to bet that quite a few of the people that started off very young, will be with the industry for most, if not all, of their lifetime.

So yeah, I think it's just natural for games to evolve like this. Many years down the road, if that's all that we saw then yeah I'd be pissed, but that will not happen, especially as we see the the younger people who grew up with the industry breaking into the business.

I really don't care what happens as long as we still get solid gameplay, and we see gameplay advanced as well. I think we'll be seeing some awesome gameplay elements over the next five years. We've already seen a lot over the past few years, new ways to play and all of that, and I think that's going to continue on a much larger scale.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 12-20-05 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-20-05, 04:52 PM

Yeah, what Brent said. All games will not be ultra-realistic. There will still be the Ico's, Okami's and other such games. The difference will be that these developers will have virtually no boundaries. Shadow of the Colossus without pop-in or stuttering frame rates anyone? As far as ultra realism, I want a badass NBA game that looks like that.
Old 12-20-05, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
I think sporting games should strive for photorealism in every possible way, in fact I think Project gotham 3 is almost there, but for all other games I would still like to maintain that video game look to them.