DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Must-have games for PSP newbie? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/449006-must-have-games-psp-newbie.html)

DvdGene 12-16-05 10:40 AM

Must-have games for PSP newbie?

I recently bought a PSP. Can anybody recommend the best games for the PSP.

I browsed amazon, and I'm considering:
Medievil
SOCOM
Burnout
Battlefront 2
NBA Live 2006

Any thoughts?

DvdGene

PixyJunket 12-16-05 10:43 AM

That depends on what you like. Lumines and GTA seems to be the top two.

There's also a PSP thread that's several pages long that you can find info about all the games in.

Setzer 12-16-05 10:47 AM

If you like Golf then I would recommend picking up Hot Shots Golf. Well worth the $30 or $40.

BravesMG 12-16-05 11:38 AM

I am now currently addicted to the new Smackdown Vs. Raw 2006 game. It is unbelievable how close it is to the PS2 version, if you're into wrestling games. I have even been impressed with the load times, I heard they were horrible but they're only barely longer than the PS2 load times from my experience.

jeffdsmith 12-16-05 11:45 AM

Lumines - Duh.
Hot Shots Golf - Fun.
Burnout - Awesome.

I would avoid Medievil, I felt is was way short of its console counterpart, and not the usual "It's portable so its okay" kind of way.

joshd2012 12-16-05 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Setzer
If you like Golf then I would recommend picking up Hot Shots Golf. Well worth the $30 or $40.

If you don't like Golf, I would still recommend picking it up. I'm not a fan at all, but the game is insanely fun.

Lumines is an automatic, and so is GTA:LCS if you like GTA. I still enjoy the occassional turn on WipeOut: Pure - the game is a very good racer.

Decker 12-16-05 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
Lumines - Duh.
Hot Shots Golf - Fun.
Burnout - Awesome.

Those three are must-haves. You won't be disappointed. I really like X-Men Legends 2. It looks fantastic and plays very well; fun for short-burst hack & slash. And though it's not without issues, GTA is really a remarkable achievement and is always good for some fun sandbox play even if some of the missions are frustrating.

DJ_Longfellow 12-16-05 12:25 PM

Hot Shots Golf is fun
Virtua Tennis is a GOOD tennis game
Burnout - Best Racing game
GTA - Mine is still sealed (since I like my emulators and haven't really gotten around to it)
Untold Legends is a fun hack-n-slash RPGish game. (A sequel is coming eventually)
NBA Live 06 is average at best....I feel they haven't made a GOOD portable sports game yet (the MAJOR sports that is).

Gallant Pig 12-16-05 12:50 PM

How do you do homebrew + Virtua?

ryuryu2949 12-16-05 02:44 PM

My top 5:

1- Burnout Legends
2- Hot Shots Golf
3- X-Men
4- NBA Live 06 (I actually really like it, and online play has been very smooth)
5- Lumines

Gallant Pig 12-16-05 03:10 PM

what firmware is Burnout?

ryuryu2949 12-16-05 06:13 PM

I have a 1.50 (and use a WAB changer for some 2.0 games). If you have a similar unit, I believe you can play every game currently released EXCEPT GTA: LCS, NBA 06 (the Sony one, not EA Sports) and SOCOM. So basically each game with initials (j/k).

But Burnout will work with 1.50.

Ralph Wiggum 12-16-05 09:03 PM

Lumines is fantastic.

Link_182 12-16-05 10:39 PM

I think everyone agrees that Lumines is amazing.

I wasn't too crazy about Live. It plays alright, but I couldn't get into it, with the lack of a franchise mode. I got bored with it, cause I felt I had nothing to shoot for, other than the occasional online game (when I was close to a hot spot).

Smackdown vs. Raw is great fun, and makes a good pick up and play game. When you've got 10 minutes to play, you can load up a quick match.

Burnout is a MUST. I can't stop playing it despite having GTA, X-Men, Harry Potter, and NFS:Most Wanted sitting there waiting to be played. I should have just bought Burnout and Lumines and nothing else, cause those games take up 90% of my game time lately.

jl22 12-18-05 09:25 PM

Virtua Tennis is extremely addicting and very good.

devilshalo 12-19-05 12:36 AM

So...

What does a PSP n00b NEED to do (to the PSP)?

The Franchise 12-19-05 10:15 AM

I have Burnout, Virtua Tennis, and Lumines. Burnout is a technical achievement for a handlheld game. Absolutely amazing!