Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One & Only "Trying To Get An Xbox Thread"

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Sorry, Dave.
Well then no Mrs. BigDave photos from Disney World.

At least you have a chance in Austin. There are too many college kids here for me to stand a chance.
Old 12-13-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigDave
Well then no Mrs. BigDave photos from Disney World.

At least you have a chance in Austin. There are too many college kids here for me to stand a chance.
Uh..... I think there are more college kids here. And probably with more disposable $$$.

Fine, make me hax0r your site for the pics.
Old 12-13-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You got me there, damn t-sips and t-shirt sips. Y'all have more store selection though.
Old 12-13-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rocketsauce
which target were you talking about earlier?

The one in Northbrook. I live in the NW suburbs and couldn't make it to Irving Park.

I'm hoping some of the other Targets around me get some tomorrow.
Old 12-13-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i went to the one at harlem irving park mall. and they didn't have any
Old 12-13-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Is Best Buy advertising this re-launch? We don't get the paper but I was at Best Buy this past Sunday and picked up the ad - not an Xbox 360 system in sight.

I think I might get up and swing by the local store an hour or so before to opens this Sunday, just to see how it looks, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 12-13-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
i went to the one at harlem irving park mall. and they didn't have any
They were supposed to have some this morning although I'm sure they went very quickly. I have learned that you have to go in to the Electronics area to see if they have them. When you call the lady that answers the phone doesn't always know if they came in.
Old 12-13-05, 02:57 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Draven
Is Best Buy advertising this re-launch? We don't get the paper but I was at Best Buy this past Sunday and picked up the ad - not an Xbox 360 system in sight.

I think I might get up and swing by the local store an hour or so before to opens this Sunday, just to see how it looks, but I'm not holding my breath.
Dude you should have totally picked one up at CostCo. That bundle was hot.
Old 12-13-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I went into Costco here in Torrance CA.

"This warehouse isn't getting any until April 2006."
Old 12-13-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just went to my Costco and they said " whats an xbox 360"
Old 12-13-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo

I believe that all/most Costcos are trying to avoid people camping out for 360s so they aren't disclosing when they expect their next shipments.
Old 12-13-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
Just went to my Costco and they said " whats an xbox 360"
That has to be the best response since launch.
Old 12-13-05, 03:57 PM
Cool New Member

Best Buy CANADA will have a minimum 30 units per store. so i dont know why this wouldn't apply for Americans too.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/dept.a...EN&catid=23393
Old 12-13-05, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

Thanks for the info - looks like i'll pass on stopping by this store tonight to check out the Xbox 360 status.
Old 12-13-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
How can the relaunch be a "great idea" when Best Buy will have about the same number of systems as they did at launch, and when Costco is getting at least that many (36) in their latest shipments and as high as 110 per store?

I'd say that there is MORE demand for 360s than there was at the launch. Not only by gamers, but by people who have no desire in the 360 other than to sell it for a profit on ebay. Things will get WORSE before they get better.
Easy, it is in no way Best Buy's fault they haven't gotten more 360s to sell and Costco has - Best Buy has a LOT more stores to stock, I'm sure if they were able to get 50 or 60 a week to each of their stores, they would have put them out on the floor from the get go. It is, in my opinion, far better to sell 40 of them in one morning than a handful of them here and there. Sure, it'll be chaotic, but it's far less irritating. And it helps lessen the Ebay problem slightly - all the people I see early mornings at the stores scouting the 5 or 6 that may arrive are all admitted ebay hounds. With 40 of em available, at least there's a solid chance of actual gamers getting one.

They also mention specifically to not treat it as anything special, so yes, it will be something of a madhouse when Sunday rolls around. That, I mildly disagree with, but then if it hadn't been leaked all over the Internet, nobody would know or care til Sunday morning rolled around and the Ad came out.

But alas, it's just an opinion. The "getting up at 7:00 am to check Walmart, Target, and all the other stores" was getting old.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-13-05 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-13-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I stopped by the Costco near me and a supervisor said they haven't had any since November 12th. I said the system didn't even come out until the 22nd, and he says well that's what I meant.

So I asked when the next shipment is due, and he says not for awhile we won't be getting any anytime soon. I asked why other Costco's are getting them, and he said it all depends on what their orders are.
Old 12-13-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm torn, if I find one I'm not sure if I'd buy it. On the one hand, I've had a blast playing PD0 online over at my brother's house but really other than that and a passing interest in Quake 4 and Condemned, there aren't many games for this that really jump out at me right now. On the other hand, my birthday is Friday and between that an Christmas I should be getting some decent cash, plus I have 0% interest for a 15 months on my credit card for Purchases made through 12/31/05 (already took advantage of that to buy the new tires my car was going to need in the not too distant future). So I'm really wishy washy. I could always return it if I decide to not keep it (that or sell to a DVDTalker who is searching for one) so I guess I probably would give it a try. Oddly enough the biggest reason I want one is because I sold my regular XBox and had a real hankering to drink beer and play Halo the other night
Old 12-13-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Uh..... I think there are more college kids here. And probably with more disposable $$$.
thus began the dvdtalk video game forum longhorn v. aggie throwdown ...

hook 'em.
Old 12-13-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
It is, in my opinion, far better to sell 40 of them in one morning than a handful of them here and there. Sure, it'll be chaotic, but it's far less irritating. And it helps lessen the Ebay problem slightly - all the people I see early mornings at the stores scouting the 5 or 6 that may arrive are all admitted ebay hounds. With 40 of em available, at least there's a solid chance of actual gamers getting one.
What will stop the ebay hounds from camping out with a dozen of their friends to get all 40 of them? IMHO, it's better for BB to just trickle them out, because it keeps people coming back day after day. I mean, when I was searching for the PS2, I was there every morning until I got one, and inevitably I'd buy something on some of those trips. If I knew they were holding them for another launch, I'd avoid them. It'll be interesting to see if they have a better system in place for the campers this time around.
Old 12-13-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
he said it all depends on what their orders are.
"we here at this particular Costco felt it wasn't necessary to our business model to keep more Xbox 360's in stock. Let all those other stores fill their shelves with flash in the pan doo hickeys. But come here when you need all of your gallon of condiment needs fulfilled."
Old 12-13-05, 05:30 PM
Cool New Member

Hey, those Gamestop bundles say they're available to ship within 24 hours once you add one to your cart. That implies that they're in stock right now.

For those that missed out on the first bundle, here's your chance.
Old 12-13-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Dude you should have totally picked one up at CostCo. That bundle was hot.
Considering that I would be signing up for a Costco card for the 360 and the 360 only (we're Sam's members already, one right down the street from us.) and the closest Costco is probably a good half-hour/45 minutes away, I couldn't justify it

Plus we've got a new baby due any day now so it would have felt like an even bigger waste.

That said, I sat on the online Costco membership application page for quite a while
Old 12-13-05, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by snart
Hey, those Gamestop bundles say they're available to ship within 24 hours once you add one to your cart. That implies that they're in stock right now.

For those that missed out on the first bundle, here's your chance.
I don't think bundle adds up to $99 worth of stuff. It semems closer to $890 to me. But it looks in stock and it's a way to get one before X-mas.
Old 12-13-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
What will stop the ebay hounds from camping out with a dozen of their friends to get all 40 of them? IMHO, it's better for BB to just trickle them out, because it keeps people coming back day after day. I mean, when I was searching for the PS2, I was there every morning until I got one, and inevitably I'd buy something on some of those trips. If I knew they were holding them for another launch, I'd avoid them. It'll be interesting to see if they have a better system in place for the campers this time around.
It actually gives a chance to the others, there's always 5 people at the openings every morning ready to snatch em up (same few, every damn morning, always gloating about how much they got for their launch consoles), I don't see it being a huge difference, but with 4 times that, others at least have a chance. Nothing is stopping a ton from camping out front the night prior, I just don't really expect to see it (this is much less a re-launch than them just putting them in stores and advertising that they have a "minimum of 20". No rat race to the cash registers, though a possible stampede to the consoles.) And I do actually prefer it over the trickle.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-13-05 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-13-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow those gamestop bundles are too rich for my blood.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.