Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One & Only "Trying To Get An Xbox Thread"

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-05, 11:50 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lopper
Woo-fucking-hoo!!

Stopped by Costco on a whim today (I know I said I was 'throwing in the towel' but I've been known to go exagerate from time to time) and low and behold I saw three pallets of 360s sitting on the floor -- one of them completely empty, one half way gone, and the other completely full. 102 units I was told.

I ran to the guy handing them out and he told me I needed a ticket from the person out front. I ran to the person out front and she told me to speak to the manager. I found the manager and he told me to show my card to the woman by the pallets and she'd give me the ticket. So, after jumping through a hoop or two, I finally got my bundle.

This really couldn't have happened on a better day. I'd just taken my last final for the semester last night (kicked its ass, by the way) and my gf has her class 'til 10:00 pm tonight, so I've got all day alone with me and my precious.

Now I'm trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing here at work and why I'm not at home setting this thing up.
Congrats you'll love it! Where is this located?
Old 12-13-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Congrats you'll love it! Where is this located?
Thanks!

I'm in Phoenix, and the Costco I went to is at 15th ave and Montebello, which is just south of Bethany Home Rd. at Spectrum (formerly Christown) Mall. Luckily, I work a stones throw away from there so getting through the doors as they opened was no problem.

At least this shows that the Arizona Costco's are finally getting them in, and it may be worth while to check the one up by you in Prescott Vallley, sracer.
Old 12-13-05, 12:01 PM

Thanks!

I'm in Phoenix, and the Costco I went to is at 15th ave and Montebello, which is just south of Bethany Home Rd. at Spectrum (formerly Christown) Mall. Luckily, I work a stones throw away from there so getting through the doors as they opened was no problem.

At least this shows that the Arizona Costco's are finally getting them in, and it may be worth while to check the one up by you in Prescott Vallley, sracer.
Did you get there when the doors opened for businesses or for people? I know outs opens a hour earlier for business members.
Old 12-13-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Is it illegal for an employer to NOT sell merchandise to a consumer? I'm assuming some Best Buy's are just holding stock until the 18th. I was just wondering if there was anything illegal on BestBuy's part.
They do it all the time to meet release dates for movies and whatnot...
Old 12-13-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by handle
Did you get there when the doors opened for businesses or for people? I know outs opens a hour earlier for business members.

For "people", I assume. It's strange though, their website says that the regular store hours are 11:00am - 8:00pm, and that they open at 10:00 am for business members. Today I decided to call just to confirm these hours and the recording said that they open at 10:00am for everyone. Go figure...

I got there at about 10:15 or so and managed to snag a bundle. They still had quite a few left on the pallets, and the people who'd received their tickets as they opened at 10:00 had already got their stuff and left. So it was basically just the late comers (i.e. me)that were getting their 360s when I was there.
Old 12-13-05, 12:10 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
They do it all the time to meet release dates for movies and whatnot...
But that's holding it in advance of the official release date.

The official release date for the 360 has come and gone. Therefore there is no real reason that Best Buy should hold onto stock.
Old 12-13-05, 12:11 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wish there were a costco near me
Old 12-13-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce
But that's holding it in advance of the official release date.

The official release date for the 360 has come and gone. Therefore there is no real reason that Best Buy should hold onto stock.
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I didn't think it was illegal, I was just curious. I'm just wondering if a customer could make a BIG enough fuss to get one. We already have proven that Best Buy's "bundle" is technically wrong. I can see CostCo seelign bundles, but if I JUST want a console, I should be able to buy it....blah blah...no big deal, just thinking out loud.

So, any luck in MI?
Old 12-13-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just don't understand why CostCos are getting hundreds in, and BB needs to save for 2 weeks in order to have 20 in stock. Is it the same number of units for each chain, just being divided among more BB stores?
Old 12-13-05, 12:16 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Best Buy seems to be playing a dangerous game. I know I've heard a number of people that know about them holding on to stock say they won't buy or shop at Best Buy for a 360 or any accessories/games. How true they stick to that is another matter.

Best Buy seems to be wanting to create another situation where people camp out and line up hoping that once they are in the store, even if they don't get a 360, they will buy other merchandise because its the holiday shopping season.
And I think it will backfire. Those people waiting for a system and not getting one will most likely leave pissed and not buy anything else. They will sell, for sure, but I would laugh so much if Best Buy's "artifical second launch" didn't move a single system off the floor because people are pissed at the way the launch was handled, and Best Buy's wanting to create a secondary launch day.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 12-13-05 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-13-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, hell.. I'm not really in "the market" for one... But I could always use a pizza slice for lunch. Off to costco!!!
Old 12-13-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pick one up for me, Y2K!
Old 12-13-05, 12:22 PM

Called my Costco and spoke with a manager. They said that San Diego will not be getting more shipments and that three of the stores had gotten shipments last week. So it *MAY* be over at Costco in San Diego
Old 12-13-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ditto
Old 12-13-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks lopper! After reading your post, I zipped over to Costco (literally only 2-3 minutes away). They didn't have any 360s but they did replenish their PS2 bundles... a double-pallet's worth.

I'm thinking that if the Phoenix area put theirs out today, then maybe the local store will put theirs out tomorrow.... even though they are sticking to their "no 360s until 6 weeks after Christmas" line.
Old 12-13-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce
Best Buy seems to be playing a dangerous game. I know I've heard a number of people that know about them holding on to stock say they won't buy or shop at Best Buy for a 360 or any accessories/games. How true they stick to that is another matter.

Best Buy seems to be wanting to create another situation where people camp out and line up hoping that once they are in the store, even if they don't get a 360, they will buy other merchandise because its the holiday shopping season.
And I think it will backfire. Those people waiting for a system and not getting one will most likely leave pissed and not buy anything else. They will sell, for sure, but I would laugh so much if Best Buy's "artifical second launch" didn't move a single system off the floor because people are pissed at the way the launch was handled, and Best Buy's wanting to create a secondary launch day.
i agree bestbuy is bad, but not near as bad as ebay. and on top of that what was with some best buy stores make you do an instore bundle that they were saying they were sorry for. nice to see they have hold of the ranks there. i don't know me and martin5 are planning on camping all night right at the fucking front door to get treesittys, but if i walk into the store to find out there are none for sale i'm gonna start killing people at random with Lappy486 melees to the face.
Old 12-13-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I didn't think it was illegal, I was just curious. I'm just wondering if a customer could make a BIG enough fuss to get one.
I wonder that too. I'm not the type of person to raise hell at someone, but I do know a family friend that does. She has no problems raising hell and getting what she wants 99% of the time when it comes to situations like this, and any other customer service related problems.
Old 12-13-05, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I wonder that too. I'm not the type of person to raise hell at someone, but I do know a family friend that does. She has no problems raising hell and getting what she wants 99% of the time when it comes to situations like this, and any other customer service related problems.

I have an ex girlfriend that is like that too. You don't want to know how many free meals we got at restaurants. Maybe she can help me out.
Old 12-13-05, 12:56 PM
Mod Emeritus

Anyone having any luck in Jersey, Tom's River area?
Old 12-13-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I'm all for the relaunch .

Personally, I think it's a great idea. Gather enough systems to where it's more than just pure luck of showing up at the right time, and then let people know they're available. I don't see the problem. It's largely a very fair deal.

Best Buy here handled the launch very well, there were no bundles, and the line started at 6:00 PM. The line was secured and nobody was allowed to cut unless the given space was already there (no squeezing extra people in, nearly single-file line).

There will be 36 premiums available this Sunday locally, I'll try to get one, if not, no big deal. Not like I'm having luck at any other places, at least this gives a wee bit of hope.
Old 12-13-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, they better put we have XX systems to sell at the Best Buy's. Thus, only 30 people will have to wait instead of more and people missing out again. I find this rather dumb honestly.
Old 12-13-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Best Buy I was at in Ohio did nothing to manage the line at all. I hope that the one by my house in IL actually does something to manage the line. If I have to stand outside all night only to find that a bunch of idiots let their friends in front of me and I get screwed I wont be happy.
Old 12-13-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrPink
The Best Buy I was at in Ohio did nothing to manage the line at all. I hope that the one by my house in IL actually does something to manage the line. If I have to stand outside all night only to find that a bunch of idiots let their friends in front of me and I get screwed I wont be happy.
which target were you talking about earlier?
Old 12-13-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigDave
Pick one up for me, Y2K!
Sorry, Dave.

Well... Here is the story from the N. Austin Costco...

1) That heater "dish" thing really freaks me out, especially cause it's like 70 degrees here, then 20 feet into the store I always get blasted with heat.

2) Man, the line at one-hour photo was scary. I thought at first they were using it to stage xbox sales, but it seemed to be all folks getting their "holiday cards" made with their pictures in them.

3) They had 24 at launch. Those didn't make it to the floor, as there were more than 24 folks in line outside waiting for them.

4) They have received 48 in a secondary shipment. Don't know exactly when, but she said they did put them out at opening, and that they were gone within the hour.

5) Standard answer about "won't get any more before Christmas", though she did admit that they weren't expecting the 48 they got either.

6) The pizza slize was kinda rubbery (the cheese actually) and mediocre. Shoulda gone with the sausage dog and soda for 50 cents less. The blonde next to me was smoking, well, she appeared to be for a moment, till she left with her drink back to "mom".

7) They sure were pushing the ultimate arcade thingy...
Old 12-13-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
I'm all for the relaunch .

Personally, I think it's a great idea. Gather enough systems to where it's more than just pure luck of showing up at the right time, and then let people know they're available. I don't see the problem. It's largely a very fair deal.

Best Buy here handled the launch very well, there were no bundles, and the line started at 6:00 PM. The line was secured and nobody was allowed to cut unless the given space was already there (no squeezing extra people in, nearly single-file line).

There will be 36 premiums available this Sunday locally, I'll try to get one, if not, no big deal. Not like I'm having luck at any other places, at least this gives a wee bit of hope.
How can the relaunch be a "great idea" when Best Buy will have about the same number of systems as they did at launch, and when Costco is getting at least that many (36) in their latest shipments and as high as 110 per store?

I'd say that there is MORE demand for 360s than there was at the launch. Not only by gamers, but by people who have no desire in the 360 other than to sell it for a profit on ebay. Things will get WORSE before they get better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.