DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Broke my leg, looking for something to pass the time. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/447897-broke-my-leg-looking-something-pass-time.html)

CKMorpheus 12-06-05 06:20 PM

Broke my leg, looking for something to pass the time.

I have about 350 dollars to spend on something to pass the time whilist in bed. I'm primarily a PC gamer, but seeing as how I have to keep my leg elevated, prolonged play on the PC is not viable. Most of my time is spent laying in bed. I've been playing my girlfriends Game Boy Advance SP, but she only has a few Zelda, Pokemon, and Mario games.

As fun as they are for a while, the screen gives me a headache, and the games just aren't up to the graphic quality, nor do they seem as FULL as most games I play. I've been looking at perhaps getting a PSP and maybe GTA: Liberty City stories. Or maybe a Nintendo DS and Super Mario DS and Mario Kart DS... My question really is... what do you prefer? Or maybe I should get a console and a wireless remote?

The house I'm staying in has wireless internet, and I from what I understand both handheld systems access Wi-Fi, right? To what extent do they have internet access? Can I surf the internet with a PSP from my bed? Can I plug my iPod into the PSP?

Pros? Cons? What should I do to pass these next few months of recovery?

Eric D. 12-06-05 06:27 PM

Sorry to hear about your leg man, that sucks. It sounds like you want something more then just a gaming system, because you mention internet, ipod, ect. In that case go with the PSP. However although the PSP's graphics are better then the DS, there are not too many good games out for it. The DS on the other hand has loads of great games out now. So I guess it all boils down to what you really want, content or extras.

BeanDip0001 12-06-05 06:27 PM

dude get windows MCE 2005 and the wireless keyboard that microsoft put out. you can play games like CoD2 and the like from bed its awesome. not to mention the nice PVR media center is.

otherwise i would say a ds with mario kart and wifi so awesome.

or a 360 not that you'd be able to find one, but if you've got an HDTV the graphics on the 360 are on the same if not higher field than my X800XT

joshd2012 12-06-05 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
As fun as they are for a while, the screen gives me a headache, and the games just aren't up to the graphic quality, nor do they seem as FULL as most games I play. I've been looking at perhaps getting a PSP and maybe GTA: Liberty City stories. Or maybe a Nintendo DS and Super Mario DS and Mario Kart DS... My question really is... what do you prefer? Or maybe I should get a console and a wireless remote?

The house I'm staying in has wireless internet, and I from what I understand both handheld systems access Wi-Fi, right? To what extent do they have internet access? Can I surf the internet with a PSP from my bed? Can I plug my iPod into the PSP?

Pros? Cons? What should I do to pass these next few months of recovery?

Sorry to hear about your situation. I've bolded some key statements you made to help your decision.

You definitely need a portable unit. If you are looking for graphics and gameplay more on par with what you are used to, that would be a PSP. You mention "full" games, which is more on par with games you will see on the PSP (being that many are console ports or console inspired games). Also, you can surf the web via the PSPs web browser. You won't beable to plug your iPod into the PSP, but you can put your MP3's on the PSP and play them.

Also, in your situation you might appreciate having some movies. The PSP can do this too (not knowing your TV situation).

For long gameplay, I would definitely recommend GTA:LCS. If you tell me what kind of games you like to play on the PC, I can recommend some for the PSP.

fumanstan 12-06-05 09:12 PM

Do you have access to a PC monitor or TV nearby? If so, relaxing on your bed or a couch with your leg propped up and picking up a Gamecube seems like it would be a good way to pass the time.

Chris_D 12-06-05 09:30 PM

Hmm assuming you have access to an easy to view tv from bed then I would definitely just get a ps2 or xbox and a few cheap classic games. A controller is definitely easier to use from bed than a keyboard and mouse. By an extra extension cable if you need the reach. The only problem I guess is changing games if its hard to get up from bed. In this case maybe situate the console unit next to your bed (with game discs handy) and buy a video and sound extension cables to reach to the tv.

I'd avoid the PSP because of the cost (more than a ps2) and lack of decent games with depth. The ds has some more interesting games but holding the console and using the touch screen from bed will tire your hands much faster than using a console controller would.

Michael Corvin 12-06-05 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Sorry to hear about your situation. I've bolded some key statements you made to help your decision.

You definitely need a portable unit. If you are looking for graphics and gameplay more on par with what you are used to, that would be a PSP. You mention "full" games, which is more on par with games you will see on the PSP (being that many are console ports or console inspired games). Also, you can surf the web via the PSPs web browser. You won't beable to plug your iPod into the PSP, but you can put your MP3's on the PSP and play them.

Also, in your situation you might appreciate having some movies. The PSP can do this too (not knowing your TV situation).

For long gameplay, I would definitely recommend GTA:LCS. If you tell me what kind of games you like to play on the PC, I can recommend some for the PSP.

I always find it funny when I get halfway through a post and know who the poster is without looking. A sony guy pimping out the PSP? Never! :lol: j/k. Based on your post Josh does make some good points, but for the money you have you could get an Xbox/PS2/Gamecube and have access to some killer libraries on each, all with a ton of sub $20 titles. All three offer a wireless solution, Nintendo's first party, and Logitech for the other two. Not to mention the games on these systems will blow away anything on a handheld size and graphics wise. Also with that kind of money you could throw in a wireless adapter and an Xbox live kit.

So I have to point to:

As fun as they are for a while, the screen gives me a headache
in your post. What makes you think a PSP or DS won't do the same thing? Even with a 4" screen the PSP isn't very large. So I'd go with a console.

joshd2012 12-07-05 07:31 AM

My only thoughts about the TV would be that it would have to be infront of his bed, and elevated in order to be viewable for long periods of time. That can sometimes be more expensive/more of an effort than dealing with a portable unit.

PixyJunket 12-07-05 07:38 AM

If the GBA screen gives you a headache I don't see the PSP or DS screen being any better in that regard. If you're primarily a PC gamer you could probably get an Xbox with a wireless controller and have access to literally hundreds of FPS games, most at bargain bin prices. Fable and Morrowind III if you're into PC RPGs and there's some great racing games too.. again.. if you've got $350 to spend you can get the Xbox, a wireless controller and about 5 good games.

DJ_Longfellow 12-07-05 07:42 AM

Yeah, I would rather have a console. Save up a few more pennies and get a 360 ;)

the PSP is a nice system, I own one, but I don't play it unless I'm travelling. So, I still have GTA:LCS sealed! (I don't want to give up my homebrew). There are a few good games though, Burnout, GTA a few new RPG's. Nothing TOO great, but it does give you some nice features. Internet Browser built in when upgraded.

PixyJunket 12-07-05 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Yeah, I would rather have a console. Save up a few more pennies and get a 360 ;)

His leg will be healed by the time he can get one. :lol:

story 12-07-05 09:06 AM

$350 and you're stuck in bed looking for something to do...

Shouldn't this be in the adult forum? ;)

Seriously, read. Take this time in your life to read a handful of books. Tell me what you like, and I will gladly give you recommendations.

AndyCleveland 12-07-05 09:12 AM

pick up a used gamecube for like $30-50. that gives you $300 to spend on games, and most used games can be had for $5-20.

the most enjoyable Cube experience i had was with Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door... it's RPG-ish (i HATE rpg's by the way), but its very easy to play with enough challenge for an adult- the platforming is a lot of fun.

Other recomendations:
Mario Kart: DD
Mario Golf
Eternal Darkness

i dont know if i liked Zelda enough to fully reccomend it, i only played about 8 hours in. but for $350, you could probably get a gamecube and about 15 good games.

jdpatri 12-07-05 12:11 PM

DS and Animal Crossing!

I really don't see why there's any confusion.

AndyCleveland 12-07-05 01:00 PM

small screens give him headaches, but i will say the DS does have a bigger screen... and "Mario & Luigi: Partners in time" is great.

maingon 12-07-05 01:39 PM

i would say psp and grand theft auto, its fantastic and plays like the ps2 games nothing watered down. plus you can access the web. Lumines, x-men legends with online play is great.

Michael Corvin 12-07-05 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by jdpatri
I really don't see why there's any confusion.

The only confusion is where he mentioned he gets headaches b/c of the small screen yet everyone keeps recommending the PSP & DS. :shrug: Doesn't make sense to me.

CKMorpheus 12-07-05 03:43 PM

For now I picked up 24: Season 4 to pass a few days by while my girlfriend is at school (she's taking care of me). But I'll probably get an XBox and then ask for a PSP for the holidays. Definately looking at GTA: LCS for PSP, as well as Burnout. I love the Burnout series, does the PSP version live up to the rest of them? For GTA: LCS, is it just GTA3 on the PSP, because from what I understand it takes place in Liberty City. Does it incorperate the features from the future titles, such as blowing out tires and such?

I love all sorts of games. I broke my leg actually, on the way to buying an XBox 360, fell off my skateboard on the way to Best Buy (my car is in the shop otherwise I would've driven there).

DRG 12-07-05 03:55 PM

For GTA: LCS, is it just GTA3 on the PSP, because from what I understand it takes place in Liberty City. Does it incorperate the features from the future titles, such as blowing out tires and such?

It's the same city (with some minor alterations) but the game is all new. Different characters (with some returning ones too), all new missions, and a lot of new types of side missions. You CAN shoot out tires. Other features that weren't in GTA3: it has motorcycles, changing outfits, buildings you can enter, among others. You can't swim, however, and there are no flying vehicles without a glitch or cheat.

Darknite39 12-07-05 07:06 PM

I broke my leg actually, on the way to buying an XBox 360, fell off my skateboard on the way to Best Buy (my car is in the shop otherwise I would've driven there).

Kidding?

Cedrock 12-07-05 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by dogmatica
$350 and you're stuck in bed looking for something to do...

Shouldn't this be in the adult forum? ;)

Seriously, read. Take this time in your life to read a handful of books. Tell me what you like, and I will gladly give you recommendations.

Hahaaha nice. But this is video game talk (the enemy of book talk) game recommendations only :eyebrow: . I say halo 2 it up, just released some new playlists, you'll be talking to all kinds of people, and after you purchase everything you'll have about $100 if you shop correctly
or you can take both our advice and get halo 2 + read the halo 2 manual hehe

joshd2012 12-08-05 07:33 AM

Do you plan on getting a 360? If so, I would not get an Xbox (at least until they show they are willing to support backwards compatability).

story 12-08-05 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cedrock
Hahaaha nice. But this is video game talk (the enemy of book talk) game recommendations only :eyebrow:

Ah, I didn't realize. I just click "New Posts" and go to what looks interesting. Hm. Well. Er. ...Read game manuals?

ChrisKnudsen 12-10-05 05:18 PM

I 2nd the Gamecube. Get a $100 cube new with 2 controllers and Mario Party 7 and get a bunch of new software that is cheap and be good to go.

superman69 12-14-05 11:41 PM

so whatd you go with?