DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Today's the day I retire my PS2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/447812-todays-day-i-retire-my-ps2.html)

cleaver 12-06-05 09:01 AM

Today's the day I retire my PS2

2 years ago this Saturday I cashed in my Best Buy warranty for the PS2 for the 2nd time, and as many of you that means I'm suddenly getting disc read errors and should return the PS2 to Best Buy. But unlike the previous 2 times I've had this little problem, I won't be replacing my PS2. So 5+ years since the launch of the PS2 (the only time I've camped out at launch) and after 10 years of Sony dominance I'm going to be without the Sony flagship for an extended period of time. My PSP will get me through many a long, lonely lunch, and my XBox 360 smiles at me from the shelf where my PS2 once was, but it won't be the same. Oh PS2, I didn't care that you had the worst launch lineup ever, or that the XBox was bigger and stronger. You showed me I could kill cops and civilians to relieve stress, that you didn't need a recognizable mascot to make a great platformer, that a next gen title didn't need to be a first person shooter, and that the console RPG genre is alive and kicking. My first DVD player, still the only system that's let me play games in DTS, I could lay you down or stand you up if we didn't have enough room. You slimmed down because some people said you were too fat but I loved you just the way you are. I said hurtful things sometimes like why can't you deliver a platformer like your daddy PSX delivered SOTN, why can't you make Tekken any better than your dad, and I asked if you and Cloud had a falling out, but I didn't mean it baby. We just need some time apart, hopefully no more than a year, before you're back on my shelf ready to devastate all. I promised myself I wouldn't cry... Miss you.

PixyJunket 12-06-05 09:07 AM

Hope you weren't looking forward to Kingdom Hearts II (or that "other" big RPG).

joshd2012 12-06-05 09:30 AM

One thing I could never do is give up my PS2. Too many great games coming out in 2006, let alone the ones I need to get caught up on for 2005.

Of course, I imagine you'll be picking up a PS3, so you'll have plenty of opportunity to catch up next fall.

I mourn your loss. :(

nodoubt 12-06-05 12:23 PM

my ps2 died halfway through GTA San Andreas. i said f it to getting a system twice in the same generation and ended up getting a xbox instead, which is good in a way. i'll probably wait for the ps3 or get a cheap ps2 when ps3 launches to play all the good games (DQ8!!).

DamingR 12-06-05 01:18 PM

I disconnected mine over the summer. Can't stand the graphics on a HDTV. Yes, I have component cables. :)

Joe Molotov 12-06-05 01:22 PM

Wow...that's so touching. That makes me want to not play my PS2 for at least a week, in your honor. :(

*goes back to playing Dragon Quest VIII*

The Franchise 12-06-05 04:27 PM

Either I treat my console with kid gloves (not really) or I've been really lucky. My PS1 still works laying flat in the correct orientation. Never had any issues with my PS2 playing vertical or horizontal. Zero disc read issues, problems with orientation, overheating anything. I use a surge protector for all my electronics but that's it really. Guess I've been lucky.

For those of your that have a fat PS2 (not the svelte model) I highly recommend the Hdloader. Not for stealing games, but it makes them load waaaay faster and puts less stress on your laser if that sort of thing concerns you. I have like 20 games I bought on there (Onimusha 3, San Andreas, Virtua Tennis, etc etc).

nickdawgy 12-06-05 04:33 PM

I'll be thinking of you when I play Dragon Quest VIII, Wild Arms Alter Code F, and Guitar Hero :(

;)

The Franchise 12-06-05 04:46 PM

The way you guys talk about DQVIII makes me want to get it but I'm scared. I don't have enough time as it is!!!

Chris_D 12-06-05 04:52 PM

I've got 2 PS2s and neither have had a problem. No plans for retirement here.

nickdawgy 12-06-05 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Franchise
The way you guys talk about DQVIII makes me want to get it but I'm scared. I don't have enough time as it is!!!

It's $39.99 this week at Circuit City, so now is the time to get it.

Jtnguyen12 12-06-05 10:11 PM

It's $30 if you can get CC pricematch with BB $10 off $30 coupon ......checkout cheapassgamer for more information. (Pricematch coupon at CC is very YMMV)

Draven 12-06-05 11:28 PM

Couldn't do it - that would mean no Guitar Hero, Rise of the Kasai, Sly Cooper, God of War, Rachet and Clank or Shadow of the Colossus.

I've played my PS2 more in the last 6 months than I did since I got it 3 or 4 years ago.

Josh H 12-07-05 08:42 AM

That sucks, and I don't blame you for holding out, especially with the PS3 less than a year around. All the great games coming out now will be $20 then and you can pick them up at launch since most consoles only have 1 or 2 games worth playing at launch.

DJ_Longfellow 12-07-05 08:47 AM

I retired mine as soon as I got an XBOX. I think I kept it plugged in for a while for some GTAIII action, then XBOX got it and it was all over. My brother actually has my PS2. Now my XBOX is retired in favor of the 360. So, I basically have two consoles not being used (I really don't think my bro' used the Ps2 much)

Doug Schiller 12-07-05 08:57 AM

I can't stand the PS2 grx on a HDTV also, but that doesn't mean I'm going to pass up on MGS3:S, Resident Evil 4, or classic Tony Hawk.
I have 2 PS2s (one slim, one HDD) and it still gets plenty of use.

I also have the other consoles, including a 360, but PS2 isn't going anywhere.

kakihara1 12-07-05 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I retired mine as soon as I got an XBOX. I think I kept it plugged in for a while for some GTAIII action, then XBOX got it and it was all over. My brother actually has my PS2. Now my XBOX is retired in favor of the 360. So, I basically have two consoles not being used (I really don't think my bro' used the Ps2 much)

yeah man mine's been retired for over two years for the most part. The last game I bought was Tekken 5 though and it didn't get much play, before going back into retirement. The system looks like complete ass on my HDTV.

Xander 12-07-05 11:00 AM

That sucks. :( I've had mine forever now and have had no problems with it. Cracked it out for KH and GTA:SA, then it sat in obscurity while Halo 2 took over my video gaming life. Just cracked it out again for Guitar Hero, and am looking forward to KH2. Also, Shadow of the Colossus looks cool. Dammit Draven, I forgot to borrow God of War from you! Ah well. More time for Guitar Hero. :)

Outlaw 12-07-05 05:53 PM

Have fun living without Dragon Quest VIII, Kingdom Hearts 2, Final Fantasy XII, Guitar Hero, Katamari, Disgaea 2, God of War sequel, on and on. I could never get rid of my PS2, not with DQVIII played every day in my system and KH2 on the horizon :). They're so cheap compared to next gen, you might as well just get another one. I have a new slimline and never had any sort of problems.

darkside 12-07-05 07:31 PM

The PS2 is the only one of all my many consoles that I have had major issues with. I never had a console fail on me from 1979 until the year 2001 about 9 months after buying a launch PS2. I tried again in 2002 and that console failed again 8-9 months later. So I really think there were some major bad batches out there. It definitely sucks, but it really seems like the new slim line consoles have eliminated all the disc read errors. I had a weird controller glich with mine, but that was pretty much a fluke and I still ended up getting $90 for it when I sold it so it wasn't a total loss. With Dragon Warrior VIII, FFXII and many other solid games out or on the way I think the PS2 is still worth owning and I may bury my frustration and give it a fourth try when the consoles finally drop to $99 hopefully next year.

I'm definitely angry with Sony because I think there were some real problems with a large portion of the early PS2s that they ignored longer than they should, but gaming is about the software not the hardware and the PS2 does have an excellent line up and what seems to be a fairly sturdy new version. So for $99 plus whatever a good extended warranty will cost I'm seriously considering giving it a try again when the price drops. There is just too much good software out there to miss out on and I would rather focus on enjoying all the great current gen stuff at a discount than pay a premium for the next gen stuff that right now doesn't seem much of an improvement in gaming at all.

nickdawgy 12-07-05 09:09 PM

My PS2 won't be retired until I get a PS3 ;)

joshd2012 12-08-05 07:30 AM

Why must every thread on PS2 end up being about how their PS2 broke? That is not the point of this thread, so stop thread crapping!

PixyJunket 12-08-05 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Why must every thread on PS2 end up being about how their PS2 broke? That is not the point of this thread, so stop thread crapping!

Um.. yes it is. Didn't you read the OP? It's his THIRD time with a dead PS2.

joshd2012 12-08-05 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Um.. yes it is. Didn't you read the OP? It's his THIRD time with a dead PS2.

And there are people who posted saying that they have had no problem with their PS2 at all (including me).

If it looks like user error, and sounds like user error...

Edit: And I'm not saying that the PS2's original design didn't have problems. The fan blew air across the lens which caused dust to get on the lens. That would not kill the console, though, and only required you to open it up and clean off the lens. A dirty lens is not a dead console.

PixyJunket 12-08-05 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by joshd2012
And there are people who posted saying that they have had no problem with their PS2 at all (including me).

If it looks like user error, and sounds like user error...

Spin that press baby, spin it! :lol:

Look, I've never had an issue with my PS2 and I've opened it up a dozen times, installed a bad modchip, desoldered it and eventually but a good one in.. I'm a prime candidate for a faulty PS2 but it's still working beautifully and I love it to death. That doesn't make me blind to the fact that during my goofing off days at the local non-chain game store people were bringing PS2s in EVERY single day for repair. To insinuate that it's a user error.. well those are some MIGHTY FINE rose-colored glasses you've got.. mighty fine indeed.