Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Thats not really the PS2 in those BLACK videos on IGN right?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Thats not really the PS2 in those BLACK videos on IGN right?

Old 02-16-06, 02:07 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
New video preview here:

http://gametrailers.com/player.php?id=9372&type=mov

This game is looking better all the time.
Agreed.
Old 02-20-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I received a preview copy of the xbox version and played it for a few hours. I was surprized to see the use live action cut scenes. They were very well done, but I couldn't skip them.
The graphics are amazing. Everything is destrucable. You can take down the tops of buildings with the rocket launcher. In fact what made me realize the detail that went into the destruction this game offer is when I sent a rocket flying into a building with a few snipers in the windows and the explosion blasted out all the windows in on that floor and the ones above and below and the snipers came flying out with all the glass and debris.
The second level, set in a forrest, with enemy camps spread out is a sneak in silence mission that can easy turn into a heavy assult on a border crossing- if the user wants. I'm sure there is a a way to sneak across the border undetected.

I like the destructions, weapons and visual effects (bluring and so forth).
I didn't much like the AI, which seem dumb at times.
Nor the obvious placement of explosive items... The enemies seem to have created all their barracades out of explosive barrels.

Its a shame this isn't multiplayer. I really hope they think about release a multiplayer only version.
Old 02-20-06, 09:45 PM
Suspended

Looks kick ass, this will be copped.
Old 02-20-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Played it all weekend for Xbox. Pretty sure I'm on the last mission because it is hard as hell. Anyway it is a pretty good game. Pure shooter though. Kill all the enemies and its on to the next level.

Everything in the game is destructable and will show some sort of bullet damage. There are a lot of guns from handguns to serious assault rifles. M203 rocket launchers etc. There are also tons of land mines and gas barrels and other explosive surroundings.

Somethings I hate are the level length. Levels are looooong and take about 40 min to beat each. Checkpoints are few and far between and if you die you have to start all over again at the beginning of the checkpoint. Also enemies are tough. If you are lucky enough you can kill them in one head shot depending on the accuracy of the weapon. But most times you will be pumping 20 to 30 rounds in each enemy to bring them down. Luckily there are tons of ammo and health packs laying around after you kill an enemy. At least on normal there is.

The storyline is blah. I still really don't know what the hell is going on. Your character is being interrogated by some government prick about the missions you've done and they have little chats before the mission starts. The plot is really confusing though. Anyway it's a pretty fun game.

Not sure it lives up to all the hype though.
Old 02-20-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
I also had some time with the XB version, though not as much as you.

From what I've seen:

Pros:
Great sense of action - pure adrenaline-pumping action.
Great score
Solid, if a tad simplistic, level design
Excellent effects and silky smooth framerate
Long Missions

Cons:
Lackluster textures
Not-so-hot AI (at least on regular)
Between the epic battles, the game feels oddly generic

Good game though, definitely worth $40. Would love to see what they could do with a higher budget and a little more planning time, the ideas are all there, and when they're on - they're fantastic. Not a Must Own or AAA title by any means, but a good, solid shooter with some memorable moments... though this could all change in the later levels.
Old 02-21-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any chance that we get an xbox360 patch for this title any time soon?
Old 02-21-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, that looks sweet
Old 02-21-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
Still need to know if I should pick this up for the PS2 over the Xbox (usually my prefered console for multi-system ports and FPS's). A couple of reviews are out, but I haven't seen any head-to-heads yet.
Old 02-23-06, 02:10 AM

Looks like an awesome looking 6 hour game with NO multi for $40

Im in. Now a days the shorter the game the better chance of replayablilty it has for me.

Anyone know of any deals or freebies that might come with this? How about, how long till its on sale for $30? I say 3-4 weeks

Last edited by Ravenous; 02-23-06 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-23-06, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Anyone know of any deals or freebies that might come with this? How about, how long till its on sale for $30? I say 3-4 weeks
Fry's tends to put EA games on sale the moment they're released (Fight Night is $29.99 now for the PS2, Xbox and PSP). I'd certainly expect this at that price by next weekend.
Old 02-23-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts
Reviews seemed a bit mixed. IGN gave it a great review, but Gamespot gave it a pretty low score saying that the lack of multiplayer and the fact that it's only about a 6 hour game makes it not worth the money. Sounds like the gameplay, graphics, and especially sound are all well done, you just don't get much for your money.
Old 02-24-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
I've been looking forward to this game for a while. I don't always want a game that makes me think hard. I do that all day at work. I want a game that lets me blow stuff up! Hopefully there's some cheats that will make me indestructable, and I can just rip through everything in a rage!
Old 02-24-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Still need to know if I should pick this up for the PS2 over the Xbox (usually my prefered console for multi-system ports and FPS's). A couple of reviews are out, but I haven't seen any head-to-heads yet.
Gamespot has the little "BEST" icon next to the Xbox version.
Old 02-24-06, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

gametrailers.com has a video review posted now that has a lot of gameplay footage. People might want to check that out if they're on the fence about picking up the game.
Old 02-25-06, 10:41 PM
Suspended

A 6 fucking hour game??? WTF, I was all hyped for this to release, and now all I am going to get is a 6 hour game. Shit, mise will stay with Resident Evil 4 now and wait for something better to drop.
Old 02-26-06, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by animalmystic
A 6 fucking hour game??? WTF, I was all hyped for this to release, and now all I am going to get is a 6 hour game. Shit, mise will stay with Resident Evil 4 now and wait for something better to drop.

You think you are going to beat every mission on the first try or what?
Old 02-26-06, 02:43 AM

I'll say the same thing about this that I said about The Chronicles Of Riddick and Stubbs : Sounds like a terrific rental. That's a great way to expierence a short game and save a lot of money.
Old 02-26-06, 12:37 PM

I read an article where the makers of this game have been pleading with Microsoft to make the game backwards compatible with the Xbox 360. I don't know how you make a PS2 game backwards compatible with Xbox 360. Microsoft has said no. Good for them. The X360 already has enough half-assed ports. Make a Black 2 for the 360, build it from the ground up, and give us at least 12-15 hours of gameplay. Plus give us multiplayer. That would be the way to do it.

Didn't Criterion do this game?
Old 02-26-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Terrell
I read an article where the makers of this game have been pleading with Microsoft to make the game backwards compatible with the Xbox 360. I don't know how you make a PS2 game backwards compatible with Xbox 360. Microsoft has said no. Good for them. The X360 already has enough half-assed ports. Make a Black 2 for the 360, build it from the ground up, and give us at least 12-15 hours of gameplay. Plus give us multiplayer. That would be the way to do it.

If I buy it, I guess I'll get the PS2 version then.
Old 02-26-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell

Easy, you make the Xbox version Backwards compatable, not the PS2 version.

And yeah, Criterion did this game, and you can tell it's them while playing it (weird but true).

If I buy it, I guess I'll get the PS2 version then.
Choose by which controller you like better, they're pretty much identical.
Old 02-26-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All games that come out for the xbox from now on should be 360 compatible, IMO.
Old 02-26-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Choose by which controller you like better, they're pretty much identical.
I moved my Xbox out of my main family room setup, so if I wanted to play the Xbox version it would be on a 27" LCD with no surround sound.

If they are identical though, I don't mind the PS2 controller.
Old 02-28-06, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't know if this was posted yet, but if you didn't pre-order you can have the BFG as well.... here's the code:

5SQQ-STHA-ZFFV-7XEV

It was posted on joystiq.com
Old 02-28-06, 01:36 PM

What the hell is the BFG?

I want this game but with all the complaints, it looks like itll be easy to find used. I may just wait for that.
Old 02-28-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ravenous
What the hell is the BFG?

I want this game but with all the complaints, it looks like itll be easy to find used. I may just wait for that.

I'm guessing it stands for "Big F******g Gun".

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.