Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

PC Gaming questions from a newbie gamer

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-02-05, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about getting into PC gaming as opposed to console gaming and had a few questions.

1. Is online gaming typically free? For FPS, RPGs and Sports games?
2. What kind of controller do you recommend? Do I need a mouse or #pad?
3. What would you consider to be a necessary computer setup for some of the newer games? I have a Toshiba Satelite laptop with: Pentium 4 CPU 3.06GHz, 3.07GHz, 448 MB of Ram with a ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 Graphics.
Is that a good enough setup? I'm not going to upgrade my system, so if it's not...screw it.
4. What is an MMOM RPG? (I think its called MMOM)

Some of the games I want to check out are: Half Life 1/2, Call of Duty 1/2,Star Wars Knights of the Republic 1/2, the NASCAR Game, and maybe a Role Playing Game.

I've been a life time console gamer with basically being a sports gamer since the days of the Genesis came to an end. Now I want to try something new. Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited by Lee Harvey Oswald; 12-02-05 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-02-05, 09:42 PM

1. It fully depends on the Game. Most single player games have a FREE online multiplayer option (Think Halflife that also has multiple online modes: Counterstrike, Day of Defeat, etc..). That being said, there are some games that are purely online and have a subscription fee (StarWars Galaxies, WOW, etc..) The bottom line is that there are many free online PC games and mods out there.

2. If you are playing FPS type games, a mouse and keyboard are the way to go. It might take a little getting use to but the outcome is worth it. If your playing flight sims, get a decent flight stick and if you want to go the pad route, there are plenty of good options. My favorite option is using my Xbox controller with a USB converter. The converter cost me about $10.00 a couple years ago, it came with a driver and also configurations for a number of good games. (you can find these on Ebay amoung other places).

3. Gaming on a laptop isn't the best PC option but your system is pretty good. You will need to spend a few more bucks on Memory/RAM (you have half a gig...go to a full gig of Memory). The main issue is your graphics card. I am not that familiar with mobil Radeons but it should run most games. There are a few sites out there that have comparison results on graphics cards (www.tomshardware.com). Wish I new more about the Radeon 9000.

4. Massively Multiplayer Online Game (MMOG).

BTW...looking at the games you are interested in. You should be fine with what you have.

BTW...I play everything and own all of the consoles (even old ones) and PC gaming is my favorite. THere are so many possibilites, mods and community. The downside is the cost. It can get a little costly.

Hope this is helpful.
Bose
Old 12-02-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1. Most multiplayer games are free. Sports games, FPS, and realtime strategy games are almost always free. The exception to this is massive online roleplaying games such as Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft ect have a monthly fee of $10-15.

2. It depends on the game. Most will work fine with the mouse and keyboard, with RTS and FPS working very well. Sports, fighting and "platformer" games are often better with a gamepad. This has become more common as games are "ported" between the PC and the console, so the interface is designed for a pad. If your heavily into racing or flight sims then you might want a joystick or racing wheel.

3. Your CPU is fine and the memory is passable, but I'm afraid you video card won't cut it for the latest and greatest games. I have a similar system with an ATI 8500, which is very similar to your card. I couldn't handle FEAR and some of the other latest games, even at the lowest settings it was too choppy. Doom3, Far Cry, and Half-life 2 are the latest games I would say were playable at the lowest settings.

It will play Half life 1 with high settings fine, 2 will be playable at reduced settings, same with Call of Duty. both KOTOR should run ok. There are a lot of great older games that you will be able to play fine and should be able to find on the cheap.

4. MMORPG Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games

Last edited by wmansir; 12-02-05 at 09:58 PM.