DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The One and Only Animal Crossing: Wild World DS Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/447338-one-only-animal-crossing-wild-world-ds-thread.html)

jediwicz 12-01-05 05:15 PM

The One and Only Animal Crossing: Wild World DS Thread

gonintendo.com is reporting phenomenal Japanese sales for this title.

By all accounts, Nintendogs was a HUGELY successful game. Nintendogs sold 168,000 in its first week alone. Definitely not too shabby for Nintendo’s touch screen portable. Not too shabby that is, until Animal Crossing: Wild World came along.

Animal Crossing: Wild World managed to sell 325,466 copies in it’s first week of release. That is nearly double the amount of first week sales for Nintendogs. Animal Crossing: Wild World also boosted the sales of the DS itself, brining a weekly total to over 160,000.

The promise of this game was the reason I wanted a DS a year ago. Can't wait.

fujishig 12-01-05 05:20 PM

It got some pretty disappointing reviews from the crew at EGM, though most were lamenting that it was too similar to the first one without many significant changes, and with most of the best items missing (ie: NES games). Still, I can't wait either! This is the only reason I got my wife a DS, and will be the first game I buy two copies of... one for each of us.

I do wonder why they never made a sequel on the Gamecube though... how hard would that have been?

wildcatlh 12-01-05 05:27 PM

"Too similar to the original" is a good thing. I was hoping they wouldn't change much. Even with the NES games gone, it's more than worth it.

I really can't wait to play this. It's the main reason I purchased a DS in the first place.

jediwicz 12-01-05 06:25 PM

EGM did lowball the game. Famitsu gave it 10/10/10/9 for a score of 39/40. Not to shabby. Then again Famitsu gave Nintendogs a 40 and EGM lowballed it. Reviews schmuckviews.

gimmepilotwings 12-02-05 09:11 AM

Gotta love Fry's and their $24.99 day of release prices. I plan on picking this up, as well as 24 S4 if it is ~$35.

fujishig 12-02-05 11:20 AM

? The latest Fry's ad (see DVD Bargains forum) has Animal Crossing for 35...

gimmepilotwings 12-02-05 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
? The latest Fry's ad (see DVD Bargains forum) has Animal Crossing for 35...

I have never paid full MSRP for a major game release at Fry's on release day.

I have purchased Mario Kart, Castlevania, Nintendogs, etc for $24.99. I do not have definite proof that it will be $24.99, but I am confident that it will be. I will doublecheck the daily ad Tuesday.

fujishig 12-02-05 11:50 AM

Yeah, but the Fry's ad already has it projected for Tuesday at full price. For instance, Fry's did not have a sale on the new Mario and Luigi DS game, which has also been at full price. None of the 360 games have been discounted. They also tend to discount less during the holidays, for whatever reason.

Since Fry's is about 2 minutes from work, I hope you're right (I bought all three of those games you mentioned at Fry's too), but I'm doubtful. Other deals include the 10 dollar off 30 coupon at Best Buy if you got the Xbox360 promo disk, the usual 5 dollars off gamercards, and next week's $10 gift card when you buy two games 30 or above.

gimmepilotwings 12-02-05 12:19 PM

Well, if it is not discounted there. I may wait until X-Mas or after to pick up this title.

Supermallet 12-02-05 02:27 PM

I can't wait for this. At work we're getting an extra employee discount starting the 9th, so I'm definitely picking up Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing DS.

Ralph Wiggum 12-02-05 02:29 PM

As much as I'm dying for this game, I'll wait until a sale hits - I've got enough stuff to keep me occupied in the meantime.

(EGM's criticism is hilarious considering the source.)

PrincessT 12-03-05 06:37 PM

I am counting down the days on this one. Absolutely cannot wait.

Regarding things that were left out, yes, it is pretty sad that the Nintendo games won't be in there. But worse yet for those without access to a wifi connection is the loss of trading codes. Hopefully every part of the country has McDonald's or Starbucks or Panera Bread complete with free wifi hotspots, so they can just go there and trade items online.

Gizmo 12-04-05 02:23 AM

Just got news that there will only be ONE shipment of this game before Christmas...so if you want it, BUY IT. Otherwise you may have to wait 2-4 weeks for restock (much like Nintendogs which was sold out at most places, or only had the chihuahua edition)

jeffdsmith 12-04-05 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum

(EGM's criticism is hilarious considering the source.)

Exactly what I was thinking. :lol:

edstein 12-04-05 10:17 AM

Would this game be good for a 5 year old?

DamingR 12-04-05 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by edstein
Would this game be good for a 5 year old?

I don't think so. It's pretty complicated.

Supermallet 12-04-05 12:05 PM

For those who don't have a wireless router:

Nintendo makes a USB plug-in for your computer that allows you to register 5 DS machines to that plug-in, and you can use the wi-fi capabilities of the games with it. It's only $35 or so. Pretty neat. I'm thinking of doing that instead of buying a wireless router.

Eric D. 12-04-05 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
For those who don't have a wireless router:

Nintendo makes a USB plug-in for your computer that allows you to register 5 DS machines to that plug-in, and you can use the wi-fi capabilities of the games with it. It's only $35 or so. Pretty neat. I'm thinking of doing that instead of buying a wireless router.

It's only for PC's though. No Macs :(. I would love to get one since the wi-fi does not seem to work in my apartment here in Chicago, yet it works fine back at home in CT.

Ralph Wiggum 12-04-05 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Just got news that there will only be ONE shipment of this game before Christmas...so if you want it, BUY IT. Otherwise you may have to wait 2-4 weeks for restock (much like Nintendogs which was sold out at most places, or only had the chihuahua edition)

Thanks for the heads-up. I guess my life disappears tomorrow after all.

Thunderball 12-04-05 06:25 PM

There is a large crew of people(myself included) who have found that a wieless access point that is compatible with the DS is a much better deal then the dongle Nintendo is selling.

Here is a step by step way to do it, and the cards that are compatible.

http://www.nolentabner.com/DS_WiFi2.html

nintendo wants $435 + shipping for theirs, I got a compatible card for $22 shipped from Newegg.

Ralph Wiggum 12-04-05 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderball
nintendo wants $435 + shipping for theirs

Bastards!

Gizmo 12-04-05 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderball
There is a large crew of people(myself included) who have found that a wieless access point that is compatible with the DS is a much better deal then the dongle Nintendo is selling.

Here is a step by step way to do it, and the cards that are compatible.

http://www.nolentabner.com/DS_WiFi2.html

nintendo wants $435 + shipping for theirs, I got a compatible card for $22 shipped from Newegg.

$435?!?! Nintendo are bastards!

Thunderball 12-05-05 01:44 AM

I meant $35. Whoops. I'll leave the typo so people dont' think you guys are wacky :)

Supermallet 12-05-05 04:06 AM

Yeah, I was going to say, it only said $35 when I looked at it. :lol:

fujishig 12-05-05 07:45 AM

Finally saw the commercial on TV (they were advertising it during WWE Smackdown?). man is it more creepy than cute. I know Nintendo America's going for this live action stuff, but I wish they just made cartoon commercials or something.