Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Best DYNASTY WARRIORS game?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Best DYNASTY WARRIORS game?

So I am thinking about finally buying a Dynasty Warriors game for either my PS2 or Xbox. Just wondering what everything thinks is the overall best, or what they would recommend.

Thanks!
Old 11-28-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
To me, although they haven't progressed all that much since DW2, the latest is usually the best (so that would be DW 5). I've played them all on PS2, and while I'm sure the Xbox one is a little prettier, it also doesn't have the option of "expansion packs."

Samurai Warriors is also quite decent if you prefer Japanese Samurai and Ninjas to Chinese warriors (it's on par with DW4).
Old 11-28-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My favourite is probably DW3 on xbox. I'm not sure if it's just because it's the first one I played, but it just has a meatier feel than 4 or 5. The difficulty level is about right too. On 4/5 I found it went from too easy to silly hard depending what difficulty you picked.

As an alternative, for some reason I find Samurai Warriors (played on PS2) to have a really good feel to it. Can't quite put my finger on it. Also the character sprites are a bit nicer than the DW games. The main thing I didn't like is the castle bits, where you effectively fight indoors and go through level after level. But the outside maps are good. If it wasn't for the castle levels I'd probably rate this as the best "DW" game.

The worst is DW4, it just has a really light weight feel to it, the guys die too easily and yet you don't really seem to be hitting all that hard. DW5 improves on this a bit, but I still prefer the feel of DW3 or SW. I haven't played DW1 or 2.
Old 11-29-05, 10:09 AM

I havent played DW5 (and unless it gets pretty cheap probably wont) but I am a big fan of Samurai Warriors. I wish they had given it a less lame title, but hey I guess Sengoku Jidai or somesuch wouldnt fly over here. For a brief period of time I couldnt get enough of these games and was playing them so much I swear I started to see sprites of spearmen charging at me when I would close my eyes. Now that ive got a ridiculous tv (60" lcd) I should give one of those games a spin sometime...
Old 11-29-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Ah, I forgot about those cursed castle levels that they introduced in 4 (and which are also in Samurai Warriors). But is 3 really that good? Better than 5? It's the one game I didn't buy.

BTW, 1 was pretty much a fighting game for PS1, and has little relation gameplay-wise to the rest of them.

Also, the PSP version stinks. Haven't played the GBA version, though.
Old 11-29-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's kind of hard to say, I think I may be biased as DW3 was my first DW. Still, I really miss the super long "endurance" missions from 3.. Some of the really tough missions in 3 could take up to 2 hours. However in DW4 they seemed to replace this with a stack more missions but really short. This was such that the big missions are about 1/2 hr, while some of the smaller missions are as short as 5 minutes! DW5 is also like this.

I guess for this reason, the DW3 maps feel like they have more character to me, partly because there's a lot less of them.

One good thing about DW5 is the in mission saves.
Old 11-29-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
DW3 all the way. When I had a PS2 I flat out wore that game out. Tons of fun especially if you're in the beat-em-up mood. Lots of characters to unlock and some of the battles are not easy.

Kenny J.
Old 11-30-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Thanks for all the input.

Probably will try and check out a copy of DW3 for either Xbox or PS2.
Old 12-01-05, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Thanks for all the input.

Probably will try and check out a copy of DW3 for either Xbox or PS2.
Hopefully you can find it dirt cheap somewhere. Also once you get tired of it I'd recommend chasing up Samurai Warriors. Even though it is effectively very similar gameplay I found enough was different to make it fresh for me.