Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only "Trying To Get An Xbox Thread" (merged with BB thread)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One & Only "Trying To Get An Xbox Thread" (merged with BB thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-05, 11:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 17th? No. That'd be Saturday. I'd say the evening of the 16th.
Old 12-09-05, 11:50 PM
Li

I thought Best Buys were holding any units they received from now until the 18th? Assuming they received any before then, wouldn't those numbers just represent what they're receiving the 16th? I guess no one really knows...

Last edited by Li; 12-10-05 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-10-05, 12:06 AM
Mod Emeritus

Dude I'm saying people will line up Friday night and camp out all weekend for this.
Old 12-10-05, 12:08 AM
Li

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Dude I'm saying people will line up Friday night and camp out all weekend for this.
Uh, yeah, I got that out of your message. Was there something I said that made you believe otherwise?
Old 12-10-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
A buddy just made me sick. He said on release day he was in a Walmart in a small suburb outside of OKC at 2:30am and they announced on the PA that they had 360s if anyone wanted one. He just had a baby and has no time to play so he was not interested. I guess when I hear of Walmart getting some I will have to hit the one by his house.
Old 12-10-05, 12:28 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Li
Uh, yeah, I got that out of your message. Was there something I said that made you believe otherwise?
Oh sorry, I thought your message about holding Xboxen was a reply to me, like you thought I was saying people would be lining up on the 16th to try and get them on the 16th.
Old 12-10-05, 12:29 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Cusm
A buddy just made me sick. He said on release day he was in a Walmart in a small suburb outside of OKC at 2:30am and they announced on the PA that they had 360s if anyone wanted one. He just had a baby and has no time to play so he was not interested. I guess when I hear of Walmart getting some I will have to hit the one by his house.
Exactly, right place at the right time. Who's going to be in a Walmart outside of OKC at 2:30AM fer chrissakes?
Old 12-10-05, 12:30 AM
Li

Oh sorry, I thought your message about holding Xboxen was a reply to me, like you thought I was saying people would be lining up on the 16th to try and get them on the 16th.
Oh, no, not at all. It was more of a comment about those supposed number of units stores are going to have.
Old 12-10-05, 12:32 AM
Mod Emeritus

The list seems to make sense if you look at the stores getting extras (however I can't believe the Maplewood one in the Cities is getting more than the Richfield one!).

I'm not sure if it's real or not, but if you are the first in line, it won't matter.
Old 12-10-05, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is there a difference in waiting in line for 24+ hours and paying $1200 for a $400 system on ebay? I really want one, but these 2 options seem insane. Most hear talk about how stupid people are for paying 2-5x the cost of the system, yet the idea of waiting 20+ hours in line in the middle of November/December is not so bad, almost treated like a badge of honor.

This is not meant to flame anyone that is going to stand in line, or pay inflated ebay prices.
Old 12-10-05, 12:40 AM
Li

Is there a difference in waiting in line for 24+ hours and paying $1200 for a $400 system on ebay? I really want one, but these 2 options seem insane. Most hear talk about how stupid people are for paying 2-5x the cost of the system, yet the idea of waiting 20+ hours in line in the middle of November/December is not so bad, almost treated like a badge of honor.

This is not meant to flame anyone that is going to stand in line, or pay inflated ebay prices.

I guess it depends what you believe is more valuable, your time or your money? If someone's crazy enough to wait for that long in the cold for something they really want, they have my respect.
Old 12-10-05, 12:40 AM
Mod Emeritus

Well if you are young, the line thing isn't a huge deal. Plus you live in OK, what's it like 30 degrees out? Good enough! I heard lots of people enjoyed the line thing (bring mini DVDs, IPODs, PSPs, DS's, etc) the last time out, just make sure your ass is in the front or you could go home empty handed.
Old 12-10-05, 12:44 AM

I refuse to stand in line for more than 2 hours. It will most likely be about 10 degrees around the 18th. I had pneumonia once and really don't want to get it again. Hopefully between now and then they will pop up online somewhere. Otherwise I will show up at 6am on the 18th and take my chance.
Old 12-10-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well if you are young, the line thing isn't a huge deal. Plus you live in OK, what's it like 30 degrees out?
Well the last few days it has been in the teens and going into the negatives overnight, while no Manitoba, pretty freaking cold.
Old 12-10-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Well if you are young, the line thing isn't a huge deal. Plus you live in OK, what's it like 30 degrees out? Good enough! I heard lots of people enjoyed the line thing (bring mini DVDs, IPODs, PSPs, DS's, etc) the last time out, just make sure your ass is in the front or you could go home empty handed.
Exactly. Also make sure that you know exactly how the store is going to handle the distribution of systems. That is key!

I stood on line for 3 hours at Costco, only to get skunked out of a 360 by 1 person. (I was 15th in line) Not only did Costco NOT have a civilized procedure (it was a mad dash after the doors open) but employees were pulling bundles off the pallet for themselves as soon as the doors were opening. They had 24 on the pallet, and if all was square, I would've gotten one then. Luckily a friend of mine who was 3rd in line was there with his wife (both bought one) felt bad that I didn't get one and sold me his 2nd one.

In contrast, Best Buy (love 'em or hate 'em) had a great process for launch day as well as Black Friday. I was 22nd on line on Black Friday (12:45a) for the Toshiba notebook. At 4am employees asked what we were waiting for, and handed out glossy number sheets (1 for each item they had)... if you had the sheet, you were guaranteed a system.

Although I'm firmly planted in "middle age", waiting on lines was a lot of fun. I don't know if I could muster up one more "camp out" for the 18th. I don't know if "camp out" is the right phrase for what I did, the longest that I was on line was only for about 5 hours.

If you haven't ever waited that long on line for a hot item, you gotta try it at least once.
Old 12-10-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Well the last few days it has been in the teens and going into the negatives overnight, while no Manitoba, pretty freaking cold.
Yeah, that IS pretty cold... but they're doing great things with hunting gear these days. Just stop by the local Walmart and pick up enough extra layers to make yourself a human cocoon. (reasonably inexpensive too)

If it stays that cold, then consider regularly monitoring the line to see when it forms. The line may not form until sometime Saturday. But in warmer areas, I can definitely see lines forming on Friday 16th on late afternoon.
Old 12-10-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Yeah, can't believe the Richfield store isn't getting more than any other store in the country.

I might take a shot at the Apple Valley location on the morning of the 18th, but I'm not camping out again. 4 hours outside Best Buy on Black Friday was more than enough for me.
Old 12-10-05, 10:39 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On launch day, I waited 10.5 hours for the 360. The only reason I did so, was because it was in the inside of a wal-mart.

The store had chairs set up in the exact number of systems they had. If you were sitting in a seat, you had a system guarenteed. They had people counting everyone every couple hours and telling people what number they were. So, people knew where they were at in line.

A little bit before midnight, they handed out cards with your number and core or prem. Once you got your number, you went to the register they told you and gave them the card. They gave you a system and you pay. Easy and a really nice system.

People brought laptops, psps, DS, etc to pass the time. Walmart gave everyone bottles of water through out the night. At a couple points, they gave everyone a donught. And a few hours before launch, they gave everyone a piece of cake from a huge 360 cake the employees had baked for the launch.

It really was a organized launch. Except for a few issues I noted in the past that could have been handled better.

If it had been out in the cold, I dont think I would have waited. But as it was inside, and handled well and such, it made the wait much easier.
Old 12-10-05, 11:08 AM
Li

The more I've been outside the last few days the crazier the idea of sitting out it in seems. I'm not sure I can blieve anyone would be insane enough to sit in it for more than 12 hours, though people can suprise you sometimes.

Last edited by Li; 12-10-05 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-10-05, 12:07 PM

Just got back from the Costcos in Houston, TX. The Bunker Hill Location did not have any XBOX 360's come in. The Willowbrook location had 48 as of 10:00 this morning. I picked one up about 11:30 and there were about 15 or so left.
Old 12-10-05, 12:21 PM

This is my first post I believe. Love this website so I am only telling you. Returned from the Costco in Santa Clarita, CA and got my 360 this morning. They had the manager standing at the entrance with a stack of yellow slips to get your xbox. He still had tons left. They told me yesterday that they were getting 144 in and to come back Monday. I wanted to be safe so I went today. Go soon if you are close.
Old 12-10-05, 12:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

How strange Costco is getting a ton in and nowhere else.
Old 12-10-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Meijer in Springfield Illinois had some this morning too, maybe 4-5.
Old 12-10-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will they tell you if they have them when you call or do you have to go in person to see if they have them?
Old 12-10-05, 12:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

They'll tell you I'm sure, but be prepared to run some lights to get over there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.