Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only "Trying To Get An Xbox Thread" (merged with BB thread)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One & Only "Trying To Get An Xbox Thread" (merged with BB thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
super expensive core bundle that I will not be buying available now on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...e&s=videogames
Old 12-08-05, 12:17 PM

I called today and there office was closed due to "severe weather."

Check my order status though:

Xbox 360 Play and Charge Kit 1 $19.99 Back Ordered
GameStop.com Product Replacement Plan 1 $39.99 Back Ordered
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller 1 $49.99 Usually ships in 24 hours
Quake 4 1 $59.99 Usually ships in 24 hours
Need For Speed: Most Wanted 1 $59.99 Usually ships in 24 hours
Madden NFL 06 1 $59.99 Usually ships in 24 hours
Condemned: Criminal Origins 1 $59.99 Usually ships in 24 hours
Perfect Dark Zero Limited Collector's Edition 1 $59.99 Usually ships in 24 hours
Call of Duty 2 1 $59.99 Back Ordered
Peter Jackson's King Kong 1 $59.99 Usually ships in 24 hours
Xbox 360 Pro 1 $399.99 Pre-Release ETA: 11/22/05

It's not looking legit. There system is probably just running on autopilot.

Last edited by handle; 12-08-05 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-08-05, 12:21 PM
Li

When you order a bundle like that off of ToyRus, can you return what you don't want to the store?
Old 12-08-05, 12:23 PM
Mod Emeritus

No.
Old 12-08-05, 12:25 PM
Li

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
No.
Okay, nice sort answer. Was that discussed at some point in the thread that I'm forgetting?
Old 12-08-05, 12:27 PM
DAC

I wouldn't see why you couldn't take it to your local wal-mart, target, k-mart, best buy etc. for store credit as long as the game itself is unopened.
Old 12-08-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Most stores that bundle have some fine print saying the same thing; either you return all or nothing, or if you return a portion of it, they sock you for the full price of it, losing any 'discount'.
Old 12-08-05, 12:28 PM
Li

Originally Posted by DAC
I wouldn't see why you couldn't take it to your local wal-mart, target, k-mart, best buy etc. for store credit as long as the game itself is unopened.
Ha, but who wants $500 in store credit to Wal-Mart?
Old 12-08-05, 12:33 PM
Li

At least I know my WebMon is working since I got a notification about that bundle at Amazon.
Old 12-08-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 03euroSVT
This is a letter from BB to its customers. I looked but didn't see it posted in this thread yet. I found it on the right side in the videogame section of the website.
Click
in the letter it says:
Specifically, customers in some Best Buy stores were told that they were required to buy additional Xbox accessories or services if they wanted one of the sought-after Xbox 360 consoles, even though we advertised the Xbox 360 console alone. I want to be very clear that Best Buy does not condone pressuring customers to purchase items they may not want or that may not fit their lifestyle. In fact, these behaviors are in direct conflict with our desire to serve customers' needs better than anyone else, and our values of honesty and integrity.
That's comedy. I find it odd that all of these "rogue" Best Buy stores just happened to all come up with this forced bundle idea all on their own. I also find it odd that the bundle sheet I was given in Michigan (which I promptly ignored) and I saw at another store in Michigan were the exact same sheet a friend of mine was given in Colorado (he actually didn't get one because when it was his turn in line, they were told all they had left were the highest priced bundles at $999 or more, which he didn't have). One hell of a coincidence for something that corporate doesn't condone in any way. The line "I want to be very clear that Best Buy does not condone pressuring customers to purchase items they may not want or that may not fit their lifestyle" is hilarious. That's all they do. From the minute I step in the store where they have a table set up where they push this week's DVD and CD releases in my face until the time I check out and they push for me to sign up for 8 week subscriptions to Sports Illustrated or Entertainment Weekly. Not to mention the extended warranty pushes.
Old 12-08-05, 12:35 PM
DAC

Originally Posted by Li
Ha, but who wants $500 in store credit to Wal-Mart?
I guess that would cover my grocery bill for about 3 months.
Old 12-08-05, 12:45 PM
Li

Originally Posted by Daryl
in the letter it says:

That's comedy. I find it odd that all of these "rogue" Best Buy stores just happened to all come up with this forced bundle idea all on their own. I also find it odd that the bundle sheet I was given in Michigan (which I promptly ignored) and I saw at another store in Michigan were the exact same sheet a friend of mine was given in Colorado (he actually didn't get one because when it was his turn in line, they were told all they had left were the highest priced bundles at $999 or more, which he didn't have). One hell of a coincidence for something that corporate doesn't condone in any way. The line "I want to be very clear that Best Buy does not condone pressuring customers to purchase items they may not want or that may not fit their lifestyle" is hilarious. That's all they do. From the minute I step in the store where they have a table set up where they push this week's DVD and CD releases in my face until the time I check out and they push for me to sign up for 8 week subscriptions to Sports Illustrated or Entertainment Weekly. Not to mention the extended warranty pushes.
The reason they don't "condone" it was because there was a backlash of hate mail and bad publicity, and they're trying to play it off as though it were the individual stores at fault, not the entire corporation. As you know, they're just trying to save face.
Old 12-08-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

in the letter it says:

Well is possible that they all offered the same bundles, but that the "rogue stores" decided to force them to get their sales #s up...

Not defending them, but it would seem like they all would have standard bundles since the SKU's, etc would have to be in the BB corporate system if it were being rung up as a bundle.

The main issue was that they did not advertise as only being available with a bundle, they advertised just the hardware with the specific prices and no mention of other purchase requirements.
Old 12-08-05, 12:50 PM
Li

Originally Posted by sniper308
Well is possible that they all offered the same bundles, but that the "rogue stores" decided to force them to get their sales #s up...

Not defending them, but it would seem like they all would have standard bundles since the SKU's, etc would have to be in the BB corporate system if it were being rung up as a bundle.

The main issue was that they did not advertise as only being available with a bundle, they advertised just the hardware with the specific prices and no mention of other purchase requirements.
You have a point, it was more the fact that they were forcing bundles, not that they were offering them. What made them think people would want bundle when they're not saving any money by buying them is beyond me. I thought that was the purpose of bundles, to buy a bunch of stuff at once to save money on buying them individually?
Old 12-08-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sniper308
good point - I would agree. Like I said, at the one I went to, we laughed it off. At the other store I went to later that day, I found out that bundles were enforced, but they were flexible in the games you could buy. But my friend in Colorado got screwed because they strictly enforced bundles and claimed they had certain numbers of each bundle, which left people not in the front of the line with only the priciest bundles as an option, and that wasn't fair at all.
Old 12-08-05, 01:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by DAC

You honestly think those places are going to take back $500+ worth of merchandise without a receipt?
Old 12-08-05, 01:01 PM
DAC

Originally Posted by handle
I called today and there office was closed due to "severe weather."

Check my order status though:

GameStop.com Product Replacement Plan 1 $39.99 Back Ordered
Quake 4 1 $59.99 Usually ships in 24 hours
Need For Speed: Most Wanted 1 $59.99 Usually ships in 24 hours
Madden NFL 06 1 $59.99 Usually ships in 24 hours
Condemned: Criminal Origins 1 $59.99 Usually ships in 24 hours
Perfect Dark Zero Limited Collector's Edition 1 $59.99 Usually ships in 24 hours
Call of Duty 2 1 $59.99 Back Ordered
Peter Jackson's King Kong 1 $59.99 Usually ships in 24 hours
Xbox 360 Pro 1 $399.99 Pre-Release ETA: 11/22/05

It's not looking legit. There system is probably just running on autopilot.
for those who ordered from gamestop.com here is some heresay to chew on...
http://forums.xbox.com/981066/ShowPost.aspx
Hello.

I just got off the phone after speaking to a manager at Gamestop.com (and yes, that's .com, as in the store that has been selling the massive preorder bundles).

For those who are angered that Gamestop is selling the Turbo and High-Octane bundles before previous preorders are filled, your anger is groundless.

Gamestop.com will be using a shipment that they receive tomorrow or Saturday to FIRST meet previous preorders.

Anyone who preorders the Turbo or High-Octane bundles at this point will have their order filled AFTER previous preorders are filled.

Naturally, I asked how Gamestop would anticipate receiving so many units to meet a large demand. The answer was simply that Microsoft informed Gamestop that they would be receiving a large enough shipment to meet previous preorders PLUS additional preorders for the expensive bundles now featured on the website. The exact quantity, expectedly, was unknown. The gentleman reiterated several times that those who preordered the new bundles yesterday and last night would most likely have their systems shipped by the 12th, and that Gamestop.com would NOT change their preorder date from February to December UNLESS they were promised enough units by Microsof to meet demand.

Of course, this is heresay from a manager at Gamestop.com. Take that as you will. None of us will know until Sunday, when we can all call and ask if they indeed received a sizeable distributed shipment to their warehouse.
Old 12-08-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
And what happens when Gamestop ships you all the games and accessories and then Microsoft's promise (if there was one made) falls through? Can you just cancel the bundle and return everything to the store?

Could be great news, but I'm still skeptical.
Old 12-08-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You honestly think those places are going to take back $500+ worth of merchandise without a receipt?
show up a day or two after X-Mas and say it's a gift and they will (I usually use it to return my stupid impulse buys I made throughout the year that I never opened and later regretted buying).
Old 12-08-05, 01:16 PM

Looks like they are back open. I'm on hold now.....

I hung up after being on hold for 12 minutes
Old 12-08-05, 01:16 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

American Express is selling 200 Premium Xbox 360's tomorrow for $150 each in their wishlist program at 12 p.m. EST, 3 p.m. EST, and 7 p.m. EST. You need a AMEX card to buy it if you get in. You will get it in 2-3 weeks.

http://www.mylifemycard.com/mywishlist/wishlist.html
Old 12-08-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Li
You have a point, it was more the fact that they were forcing bundles, not that they were offering them. What made them think people would want bundle when they're not saving any money by buying them is beyond me. I thought that was the purpose of bundles, to buy a bunch of stuff at once to save money on buying them individually?
Best Buy is bundling more than just XBox 360s. They're bundling PSPs, PS2s, GameCubes, digital cameras, mp3 players... virtually every electronic gadget that has accessories or peripherals is being bundled.

The local Best Buy had a Sandisk Sansa 512MB MP3 bundle for $200! (pretty outrageous considering that I bought the player alone on Black Friday for $40)
Old 12-08-05, 01:28 PM
Mod Emeritus

show up a day or two after X-Mas and say it's a gift and they will (I usually use it to return my stupid impulse buys I made throughout the year that I never opened and later regretted buying).
But 8 games and all those accesories?
Old 12-08-05, 01:36 PM
Li

But 8 games and all those accesories?
No one said you had to do it all at once or all at the same store.
Old 12-08-05, 01:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

Well good luck.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.