Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Condemned - Xbox360

Old 11-22-05, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Condemned - Xbox360

So, has anyone played this yet?

I decided to play this first, and I must say I am very impressed.

Earlier today I played Madden 2006 at work on the 360, and I was very disappointed. Everything from the graphics to the gameplay just felt lacking.

Condemned is exactly what I was expecting next-gen to be. The graphics are absolutely fantastic. Everything from the dynamic lighting, the soft shadows, to the bump mapping is great. The shear level of detail is amazing.

I have only played it for about an hour so far, and have had several 'oh shit' moments. This one looks to be a real nail biter, so much so, that I think I will take a break for a bit and try Geometry Wars.
Old 12-05-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still haven't actually plugged in my xbox, but this is the game that I am looking forward to starting with. The xbox 360 is my first console since the old NES, so I am a total newbie to this generation of gaming, but this game just looks awesome.
Old 12-05-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This game was GREAT. I really enjoyed it. Although, it's kinda short...there are 10 total chapters. I finished the game, and I probably won't replay it (unless you want to find ALL the secrets). However, the game is/was really fun. A lot of moments where you jump. I recommend it

As for Madden, I enjoy it but I cannot find a happy medium in the difficulty. All-Pro is TOO easy, All-Madden is a bit unbalanced. All my games are offensive shootouts. I'm trying to find a good slider balance.

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 12-05-05 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-05-05, 12:35 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Im also loving this game. Too many games so little time!
Old 12-05-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I enver played through games that often...However, I already finished this and Call of Duty 2 on the 360. GREAT games. Onto PDZ and Tiger Woods and Quake 4 and Madden and.......
Old 12-05-05, 05:25 PM

This game is the reason that I am buying a 360. Whenever I can find one.
Old 12-05-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best game (IMO) of the launch titles, but it is a little short. i'd recommend renting it since you can beat it in a few hours, and there's not much replay value. I picked it up for $39.99 at fry's, sold it for $50 on ebay 2 days later after I beat it, so it was definitely worth it .
Another fun, but EVEN shorter game, is King Kong. You can seriously beat it in one sitting without even a bathroom break, but it's a fun ride while it lasts. It has even less replay value though because once you beat it, that's it, not even anymore achievement points to earn like condemned.
Other good games : Kameo and Gun were fun but again short and the graphics were pretty ugly for "next-generation".

Come to think of it all the 360 games are short, which is why I probably only play Zuma on mine now lol (damn that level 8)
I also had already purchased and beat Call of Duty and Quake 4 on PC before the 360 came out, so now i have nothing to play for a good while I guess. Maybe DOA in 2 weeks, other than that nothing will be out till next year i think, which is kind of disappointing, reminds me of the Saturn launch a little...

Last edited by DVDKrayzie; 12-05-05 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-05-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
Best game (IMO) of the launch titles, but it is a little short. i'd recommend renting it since you can beat it in a few hours, and there's not much replay value.

Depends on what your definition of 'a few hours' is. I beat the game in roughly 12-14 hours of gameplay. Sure, I wasn't rushing through it or anything, but I don't feel that I was moving at a snail's pace either.

Overall I loved this game. Easily my favorite of the launch, even more than PGR3. It really felt "next-gen" to me, and I had a blast playing it. I've recommended this game to a few people, and they have all enjoyed it very much. I just wish it did have some replay value, but instead I will go ahead and trade it in to Gamerush.

I do have a question for others who have beaten the game.

Spoilers:
Spoiler:

Okay, so at the end we find out it is this cult that is using you. So I take it the crazy guys trying to kill you the entire time are a part of this cult. Why would they be trying to kill you then, if they need you? Did they ever reveal what the deal was with the birds dieing? Maybe I just missed a big part of the story or something.
Old 12-05-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

few hours i meant about 7, on normal difficulty. it was a pretty easy game, i dont see why youd need 14 hours unless you wanted to find every bird and metal piece, all you had to do to kill everyone in the game was swing kick, swing/klick over and over again, i dont think i ever tried to blovk once, it's completely unnecessary. king kong when i say a few hours i really do mean like 3 hours lol.
Old 12-05-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

few hours i meant about 7, on normal difficulty. it was a pretty easy game, i dont see why youd need 14 hours unless you wanted to find every bird and metal piece, all you had to do to kill everyone in the game was swing kick, swing/klick over and over again, i dont think i ever tried to blovk once, it's completely unnecessary. king kong when i say a few hours i really do mean like 3 hours lol.
Like I said, I took my time. I explored a lot, and just enjoyed the atmosphere. I also died a few times, so that didn't help.

Honestly I think your times are a bit skewed. I haven't played King Kong yet, but everything I have heard is that it is at least 6-10 hours long.
Old 12-05-05, 11:36 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

This game (as well as PDZ) were the two main reasons I thought about buying a 360. I haven't purchased one yet, though. I think I'm going to wait and get a Revolution and PS3. I've played the 360 and I'm not sure of what I think of it.
Old 12-06-05, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

3 hours for King Kong...wow. I think I played it for that long and was only 40% done. I only rented it though, so I didn't put much thought into it.
Old 12-06-05, 08:24 AM

king kong when i say a few hours i really do mean like 3 hours lol.
I'm all for short games now with the time I have to actually play them now. (Two children, 1 year old, and a new born) Especially if that means hopefully better gameplay and graphics. But any game, Especially an adventure/story type game, That clocks in at around 3 hours is unacceptable IMO. You have to be mistaken on the time it took you to beat this game. How can you even enjoy it if you are flying through it like that.
Old 12-06-05, 09:24 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

I think he's trying to get props for being a "pro gamer" by the way he keeps posting how quickly he beat each game. Nothing wrong with that kind of gameplay, if thats how you feel good about a game then knock yourself out. Try to get the best time you can.

I personally hate racing through a game quickly. (King Kong is taking me well over 10 hours right now)
Old 12-06-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great game! My first completed 360 game........
Old 12-06-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I don't know how King Kong was 3 hours.....unless it was on the easiest setting. I usually just leave it on default for most games. PDZ I put on Secret Agent though...a bit tough at times.
Old 12-16-05, 09:56 AM

Well, I just finished the game last night. I cant remember the last time that I've finished two games in a short amount of time. I finished PZ0 about a week and a half ago. Both were pretty enjoyable games. I played with the lights off and the sound up(5.1). I could feel goose bumps on my arm at some points of the game. Overall pretty good, but very short. Have a question:
Spoiler:
If you kill that guy in the trunk, what happens? I took the nice guy route and didn't shoot him.

I really don't see any replay value expect to get more achievements. Does everyone agree?

Last edited by rgarcia; 12-16-05 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-16-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rgarcia
Well, I just finished the game last night. I cant remember the last time that I've finished two games in a short amount of time. I finished PZ0 about a week and a half ago. Both were pretty enjoyable games. I played with the lights off and the sound up(5.1). I could feel goose bumps on my arm at some points of the game. Overall pretty good, but very short. Have a question:
Spoiler:
If you kill that guy in the trunk, what happens? I took the nice guy route and didn't shoot him.

I really don't see any replay value expect to get more achievements. Does everyone agree?
Spoiler:

There should be an autosave right before the end, so you can reload and see the other ending. It isn't too different though.
Old 12-16-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's 50 bucks next week at BB (along with NBA2K), so 40 with coupon. Worth it?
Old 12-16-05, 12:42 PM
Suspended

This game, to me, is the creepiest video game I've ever played, and the first to connect with me in ways a movie would. That's never happened before.

Playing this bad boy with the lights off and surround sound on is quite an experience. And this is probably the first video game ever where my actions in the game are exactly how I'd be acting if I was really dropped into this situation. I'm creeping around corners, making sure I'm lighting as much as I can, and if one of the bad guys really surprises me I kick the ever loving shit out of him just for scaring the hell out of me. "How dare (smash) you (smash) jump (smash) out (kick) at (kick) me!"

I absolutely want Condemned II. Doesn't have to be a direct sequel... just the same vibe is fine by me.
Old 12-16-05, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
It's 50 bucks next week at BB (along with NBA2K), so 40 with coupon. Worth it?

Which coupon are you talking about?

Chris
Old 12-16-05, 01:57 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Which coupon are you talking about?

Chris
I think he means that you get a $10 GC if you buy two 360 games.
Old 12-16-05, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
I think he means that you get a $10 GC if you buy two 360 games.

Okay, I see this in the Best Buy Thread:

Free $10 Gift Card Instantly with the Purchase of any 2 XBOX 360 Games

But that would mean that the games are $45 each, not $40 each, right?

It's been 26 years since I graduated high school, so maybe my math is not what it used to be!

Chris
Old 12-16-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, there is a coupon for $10 and VideoGame priced $29.99 or more. They came in XBOX360 demo cases during the launch. Check cheapassgamer.com for scans of the coupon
Old 12-16-05, 02:18 PM
Suspended

Well whatever the deal, I think that Condemned is worth $60. So HELL YEAH it's worth $40.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.