DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   1/Only Xbox 360 Technical Discussion (merged with "faulty lawsuit" thread) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/445304-1-only-xbox-360-technical-discussion-merged-faulty-lawsuit-thread.html)

lotsofdvds 11-15-05 02:42 PM

I have a question. My HDTV only displays 1080i. How will the Xbox 360 deal with that? Hit me with some techie stuff.

Save Ferris 11-15-05 02:45 PM

dont those types of displays upconvert everything? The xbox will deliver as high as it can and the tv will take care of the rest.

flashburn 11-15-05 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
I have a question. My HDTV only displays 1080i. How will the Xbox 360 deal with that? Hit me with some techie stuff.

Depending on your TV, you can either have the 360 do the upconversion to 1080i, or your tv can do it.

hail2dking 11-16-05 12:42 AM

360 has a scaler built-in

DJ_Longfellow 11-16-05 05:15 AM

Yep, the 360 will scale it....I think my TV does NOT do it automatically, so I'm glad the 360 does it.

edstein 11-16-05 07:39 AM

Will DVD playback be 480p or will it upconvert to 720p or 1080i?

Michael Corvin 11-16-05 07:55 AM

480p per the original 40 page thread.

raven56706 11-16-05 08:07 AM

will the system upconvert the old games or no?

DJ_Longfellow 11-16-05 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by raven56706

I know they said Halo2 was redone in 720p. Less jaggies, that was about it for it. Not sure how the other games are handled.

lotsofdvds 11-16-05 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by raven56706

Xbox.com: Will there be any benefits to playing original Xbox games on my Xbox 360 console?

Todd: Absolutely. One of the great things about gaming on Xbox 360 is the satisfaction of knowing that every game will be playable in high definition. We are now proud to reveal that this extends to the original Xbox games as well. Every original Xbox game will be upscaled to 720p and 1080i, and will take advantage of Xbox 360’s anti-aliasing capabilities, delivering a picture that is clearer and crisper than anything available on Xbox.

DamingR 11-16-05 09:45 AM

I am going to want to connect my iPod. Will plugging it in to the USB port provide charging power? I have one of the old jank iPods whose batteries were defective and haven't gotten a replacement yet.

I have one of those Firewire/USB 2.0 cords. Would I need to use that and send the USB to the Xbox and the firewire to the on-wall charger?

mrpayroll 11-16-05 02:42 PM

I connect to XBox Live now with a wireless network. Can that same hardware (which I paid good money for) be used and work properly with the XBox 360?

Chris

lotsofdvds 11-16-05 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I connect to XBox Live now with a wireless network. Can that same hardware (which I paid good money for) be used and work properly with the XBox 360?

Did you get the official Xbox Wireless Adapter?

Q: Does the Xbox 360 have built in wireless internet (Wifi)? Updated: Aug 22

A: The Xbox is Wi-Fi ready: 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g. You will need to buy an adapter, or you should be able to use the ethernet one you have now.
It is not known if other USB wireless bridges will work.
Major Nelson has reported that the MS MN-740 Wireless Adapter (aka Xbox Wireless Adapter) works fine with his Xbox 360.
I have the MN-740 on my Xbox, so I'm fairly confident I'm in good shape.

mrpayroll 11-16-05 03:29 PM

No, I bought one of the generic 'A' list company wireless adapter's on EBay. I don't remember the name here at work, but I will update my post when I get home and find out the name of the company.

Chris

Save Ferris 11-16-05 03:50 PM

Will the xbox be able to take USB Hard Drives for transfering MP3s?

lotsofdvds 11-16-05 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Will the xbox be able to take USB Hard Drives for transfering MP3s?

I think it'll stream them from any USB device, but you'll only be able to rip them to your 360 HD from a CD.

flashburn 11-16-05 04:10 PM

I think it'll stream them from any USB device, but you'll only be able to rip them to your 360 HD from a CD.

Last I heard is via USB, items will only be treated as 'read-only'. So to me, that means that they probably can be transferred from the USB device to your Xbox.

ecwfan 11-16-05 10:47 PM

Can anyone recommend a component video switcher to use with the Xbox 360? I had intended to buy the seven port Pelican one, but a few reviews stated that it's not good enough for 1080i signals.

FrankZappaBeck 11-16-05 10:50 PM

HD how?

I'm pretty clueless about how I can play 360 in HD.

I have a
HDTV ready tv, I have a hdtv box from my cable company, which allows me to see hd channels, but it only has one input for hd wires, which is hooked to my tv.

How am I going to be able to hook up 360?
Do I need to buy a hdtv tuner/receiver? or is there a splitter of some kind?

Thanks

mrpayroll 11-16-05 11:11 PM

Okay, I have a US Robotics 802.11G Wireless Bridge that allows me to connect to XBox Live. I'd be very interested in knowing if this will work with the XBox 360, because I would hate to spend another $100, after spending about $70 on this thing.

Chris

Blade 11-17-05 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by FrankZappaBeck
I'm pretty clueless about how I can play 360 in HD.

I have a
HDTV ready tv, I have a hdtv box from my cable company, which allows me to see hd channels, but it only has one input for hd wires, which is hooked to my tv.

How am I going to be able to hook up 360?
Do I need to buy a hdtv tuner/receiver? or is there a splitter of some kind?

Thanks

You'll need the XBox 360 HDTV cables (they come with the Premium system...Core system requires that you buy them seperately).

Your TV should have multiple HDTV inputs...probably component. Your HDTV cable box is using one of those sets of inputs, and you can just plug the XBox into another component input on the TV. If your TV only has one component input then you'll need to get a port switcher that's designed to pass through HDTV signals.

matome 11-17-05 08:28 AM

Found this link to some 360 pics on a Dell 2405 24" monitor over at anandtech:

http://g-prime.net/x360/

Looks awesome.

DJ_Longfellow 11-17-05 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Blade
You'll need the XBox 360 HDTV cables (they come with the Premium system...Core system requires that you buy them seperately).

Your TV should have multiple HDTV inputs...probably component. Your HDTV cable box is using one of those sets of inputs, and you can just plug the XBox into another component input on the TV. If your TV only has one component input then you'll need to get a port switcher that's designed to pass through HDTV signals.

It depends how old the TV is. I know some TV's can have 3 component inputs, but one only supported HD. (That is how my Mits 55" TV is). I have my HD running through my receiver. I have my HD Cable and my XBOX running through it. Works great!

Save Ferris 11-17-05 09:13 AM

Will the games work if you dont have surround sound--just 2 speakers? What I mean is, will you be handicapped in any way or will you just be missing out on the 'immersion factor'?

DJ_Longfellow 11-17-05 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Will the games work if you dont have surround sound--just 2 speakers? What I mean is, will you be handicapped in any way or will you just be missing out on the 'immersion factor'?

It will work fine, you will just be missing out on soem surround effects