DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Smackdown vs Raw 2006 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/445141-smackdown-vs-raw-2006-a.html)

nodeerforamonth 11-14-05 11:47 AM

Smackdown vs Raw 2006

Anyone else excited about this as me? Sound like they finally got a wrestling game done right!

Anyone find it in stores yet? Reviews?

PixyJunket 11-14-05 12:07 PM

I just got a copy of Def Jam Vendetta (don't laugh) over the weekend. I'm not at all interested in another abysmal WWE game after playing it. Unless it was farmed out to a development house that has had nothing to do with any WWF/WWE game from the PS2/Cube/Xbox I'm afraid I'll pass.. and if it was, I'm sorry for being still skeptical to even renting it.

nodeerforamonth 11-14-05 12:17 PM

Well as far as I can tell, this one could be like a 3D version of the Firepro series when it comes to playability. There's fatigue, they've slowed it down quite a bit, and smarter AI (at least in the 1 on 1 matches).

Got Def Jam Vendetta. It's great!

PixyJunket 11-14-05 12:37 PM

Sigh. Who am I kidding? I'll probably rent it at the very least, I'm desperate for a solid WWE game so I'd give it a shot regardless. I think one of the problems may be that they're trying to make three separate franchises across each platform and there's probably a lack of focus. Maybe if they tried a different approach and just did ONE game, cross-platform they might put out a better product. Just a thought.

KnightLerxst 11-14-05 04:01 PM

I am really looking forward to it...all the reviews point to them getting it right.

fujishig 11-14-05 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Sigh. Who am I kidding? I'll probably rent it at the very least, I'm desperate for a solid WWE game so I'd give it a shot regardless. I think one of the problems may be that they're trying to make three separate franchises across each platform and there's probably a lack of focus. Maybe if they tried a different approach and just did ONE game, cross-platform they might put out a better product. Just a thought.

Or we could get stuck with the Gamecube versions. Ugh.

I agree though. I still don't see why they have different people working on the different systems. Do people really go out and buy the different games cross-platform because they're different? (and while we're at it, why is there still a brand split?)

Of course, most of us complain because we remember the glory days of N64 wrestling games. If we remembered back to the NES days, we'd be thanking our lucky stars for Smackdown...

nickdawgy 11-14-05 10:16 PM

9.2 from IGN. I just pre-ordered mine today.

nickdawgy 11-15-05 07:22 PM

Picked up my copy today, and it's awesome. The best wrestling game since, well last years SD vs RAW.

Even better then Day of Reckoning 2, and that was awesome.

asianxcore 11-15-05 07:24 PM

so what exactly are the differences between this years and last years version. I haven't played a wrestling game since Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain, which I thought was fantastic.

nickdawgy 11-15-05 07:29 PM

The differences that I have noticed are:

GM Mode, Fulfill Your Fantasy Diva match, Bar Room brawl, better online support, the ability to create a belt and lose it/win someone elses belt online, more legends, legends useable in story mode, some legends have voice-overs (Hogan, Stone Cold, Mankind), seperate story modes for RAW and Smackdown, superstar specific storylines, a 3D locker room that you can customize, and more.

nickdawgy 11-15-05 11:16 PM

I forgot to add that your created player(s) will have voice-overs as well, and you can also trade them online. There is also the Buried Alive and Casket matches, and the ability to play possum. A new momentum and stamina system, too.

stingermck 11-16-05 12:48 AM

whew. Just finished 6 hours straight on the game. Truly awesome

BravesMG 11-16-05 09:10 AM

Does anybody know if there is a way to use any of the legends as free agents in GM mode? I'm loving the GM mode and don't have much interest in story mode yet, which sucks because apparently there is no other way to earn points to unlock the legends.

My only gameplay issue is that no matter who I am, I tend to get stuck on the ground and destroyed with submission grapples. Even when the computer needs to regain stamina, they have enough time to recharge and continue beating on me. Anybody else know any quick way to get up?

nodeerforamonth 11-16-05 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
The differences that I have noticed are:

GM Mode, Fulfill Your Fantasy Diva match, Bar Room brawl, better online support, the ability to create a belt and lose it/win someone elses belt online, more legends, legends useable in story mode, some legends have voice-overs (Hogan, Stone Cold, Mankind), seperate story modes for RAW and Smackdown, superstar specific storylines, a 3D locker room that you can customize, and more.

And the playability is WAY improved! I had some classic matches last night!

nodeerforamonth 11-16-05 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
whew. Just finished 6 hours straight on the game. Truly awesome

Yeah, I did the same thing last night (6pm until a little after midnight). Man, my left thumb is killing me!

Great game. The blood is done GREAT! I like how the cage match has been done. Looks like they finally got it done right.

nickdawgy 11-16-05 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
And the playability is WAY improved! I had some classic matches last night!

Indeed. No more quick matches that are over in a minute or two. It takes skill and wits to win.

DRG 11-16-05 02:57 PM

I'm looking at getting the PSP version, provided the reviews aren't terrible. The early looks seem to indicate they've done a pretty good job of retaining the gameplay and appeaance of the PS2 version.

wildcatlh 11-16-05 08:26 PM

Just sitting down with this... this may be the best wrestling game since the N64 games. Really liking it so far.

nickdawgy 11-16-05 11:40 PM

I had my first glitch. I was in a Royal Rumble match, and had just been eliminated. There were only two other wrestlers in the ring, and they were fighting each other, as expected. Then, all of a sudden, they stopped. And stood there and did nothing. And kept standing there. This went on for 2 minutes until I gave up and had to quit and restart the match.

Pretty lame.

Fok 11-17-05 12:07 AM

Just picked this up today, quite impressed and happy that Stone Cold and The Rock are still in it.

BTW to unlock Stone Cold and The Rock you need a trophy? how do you get those?

wildcatlh 11-17-05 10:58 AM

I knew this was a different wrestling game when last night I had an absolute classic (Christian vs Flair, submission match) that went 35 minutes (and ended when I stole his finisher and he tapped to the figure 4).

Right now I'm saved in story mode (as Christian) with a title match against HHH coming up at Unforgiven. It's a fun game so far, and story mode is way, way improved from the last time I bought a wrestling game (though that was like 3 years ago).

nickdawgy 11-17-05 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fok
Just picked this up today, quite impressed and happy that Stone Cold and The Rock are still in it.

BTW to unlock Stone Cold and The Rock you need a trophy? how do you get those?

I believe if you complete the Smackdown storyline, you unlock the Rock, and completing the RAW storyline unlocks Stone Cold.

BravesMG 11-17-05 03:48 PM

Here's the link for most (all?) of the unlockables and how to do it:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/w....html?mode=all

It still doesn't help me figure out if the unlockable legends can be used in GM mode. I doubt it after trying to purchase one, it said for use in exhibition only.

ViewAskewbian 11-17-05 06:03 PM

SPOILER BELOW FOR RVD STORY MODE:

Okay, very morbid moment for me playing this last night. In the RVD story mode you get into a fued with Eddie Gurerro over control of the Undertaker. This all ends in a Buried Alive match with Taker and, at the end, if you beat him, Eddie comes out all confused on how Taker lost. Taker then chokeslams him into the coffin and closes the lid.

Art immitating life. -eek-

boredsilly 11-17-05 07:28 PM

Ok, I hate all of you for making me want to buy this game. I played one of the Smackdown games a long time ago (the first or second one) and I couldn't get into it. To be fair I only played it for about 40 mins before taking it back to the store. So it's been awhile. How do you execute moves in the game? Is it closer to the N64 WWE games or closer to a street fighter game (where you need to input combinations to pull moves off)?