DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green...anyone played it? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/445062-land-dead-road-fiddlers-green-anyone-played.html)

Seantn 11-13-05 06:44 PM

Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green...anyone played it?

It's only about 15-20 bucks, and I can tell that it's not meant to revolutionize video games, but from the preview it looks like it'd be fun. Anyone have the game and can give me any feedback? I'm considering buying it for a friend for Christmas.

Eric D. 11-13-05 06:56 PM

I played a demo that was on the disc from my X-Box magazine and it was okay. Nothing too special. The graphics were decent, but I was not crazy about the movement. It was very sluggish. But I'm a huge Romere fan so I'm still going to pick it up anyway because the price is right.

I don't know what your budget is for your friend, but Stubbs the Zombie is a much better game. You can't go wrong with that one. I have been playing it non stop this past week.

xmiyux 11-13-05 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eric D.
I don't know what your budget is for your friend, but Stubbs the Zombie is a much better game. You can't go wrong with that one. I have been playing it non stop this past week.

I'll second this recommendation for Stubbs the Zombie. It was a really funny game with a large amount of humor.

Gizmo 11-13-05 09:50 PM

AVOID. I bought it and quickly sold it back on ebay. The graphics suck, the zombies get stuck in the walls, and they actually fall from the sky.

The Delfonics 11-13-05 10:37 PM

Ya, reminded me of Evil Dead games, (good if you like the movies tho). If a game is priced low, its like that for a reason.

Fincher Fan 11-14-05 05:23 AM

It looks like crap but it has zombies in it so I'll probably pick it up.

xmiyux 11-14-05 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by The Delfonics
Ya, reminded me of Evil Dead games, (good if you like the movies tho). If a game is priced low, its like that for a reason.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Phantom Dust was priced 19.99 new and it was an incredible game if you had Live so price can't be the sole indicator of quality.

Also wasn't there a football game priced cheaply last year to compete with Madden? I seem to remember reading it did really well and was a good game.... something by Sega i believe.

RVP 11-14-05 06:39 AM

I rented it and played it about 15 minutes befiore I sent it back. Bad FPS with bad controls. The hit detection was also terrible. You could shoot a zombie point blank in the head, and it would detect it as a body shot.

JHosk 11-14-05 09:07 AM

I'll disagree with the negative reviews thus far. Sure its not perfect, but I'm having fun with it. The graphics aren't *that* bad and the gameplay does have a few quirks but nothing too too bad.

If you like the Romero movies I think you'll be entertained. Its definitely worth the cheap price tag IMO.

Xploited 11-14-05 06:39 PM

That's just bad RVP, I think if you would have played it up to at least the city, you would have enjoyed it. I found that everyone who's played the game during the farm sequences did not enjoy it. I felt the same way, but once inside the city I had a lot of fun with it.

Fincher Fan 11-18-05 08:20 PM

I picked this game up and played through it on difficult. And what a chore this game is to play! Sluggish controls, horrible collision detection and some of the worst designed levels I've ever seen. Frankly, I didn't realise people could still design levels this bad! The storyline and how it integrated into the movie was the only thing that kept me playing until the end. Thankfully the game is very short albeit very easy, even on the most difficult setting - I found I could kill most of the undead with my short range weapons like a baseball bat or fireaxe. The zombies also simply vanish into thin air after you kill them - I thought we were beyond that in game design now?

With so much against it, it's hard to recommend this game even to fans to the Romero film.