Reload this Page >

No one lives forever story

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-06-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up No One lives forever 2 a while back, was going to start playing but I was wondering if I should try and pick up the first game and play through that first. Does the storyline continue?

Actually I have a couple other sequels where I haven't played the first, mainly Max Payne 2 and Deus Ex IW. Should the originals be played first?
Old 11-06-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
Yes on all 3 counts for you to better understand the game.

The original NOLF is a must play, as is Deus Ex.
Old 11-06-05, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with nickdawgy.

NOLF1 was amazing. You don't absolutely need to play it before NOLF2, but you will be missing ALOT. Max Payne 1 was also really awesome. It had a much better storyline than part 2 in my opinion. Also, many of the things in Max 2 will be really confusing without playing 1 first. (Like why
Spoiler:
Max was put in jail, who Alfred Woden is, why Max blames himself for his wife's muder.
) I have never played the second Deus Ex game, but I have heard that the first game is a thousand times better.
Old 11-06-05, 08:52 PM

Yeah, you should play NOLF1 first...hopefully you can find it for a good price--like kgrogers1979 said, it's not completely necessary to understand what's going on in NOLF2, but there are some plot threads carried over, and if you play them out of order, you'll be spoiled for some things. Plus, NOLF1 has acid perfume and exploding lipstick. It's just an all-around fun game.

I never played any of the Max Payne games, but Deus Ex is a definite must-play. I actually just played it for the first time a couple of months ago. I thought it was surprisingly long. I got a lot of gameplay hours out of it.

While we're at it, get System Shock 2 also--it's a hybrid FPS/RPG like Deus Ex and it shared some of the same developers....one of my favorite games of all time.
Old 11-06-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the advice guys, I already ordered copies of the first NOLF and Max Payne off Half.com, going to be on the look out for Deus Ex too.
Old 11-07-05, 12:41 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by areacode212
While we're at it, get System Shock 2 also--it's a hybrid FPS/RPG like Deus Ex and it shared some of the same developers....one of my favorite games of all time.

Also, if you like System Shock 2 and Deus Ex: IW, consider getting the Thief series since they also share some of the same developers. The Thief series is my favorite series of all time.
Old 11-07-05, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
I agree with nickdawgy.
Rarest words ever spoken here at DVDTalk.

Old 11-07-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Also, if you like System Shock 2 and Deus Ex: IW, consider getting the Thief series since they also share some of the same developers. The Thief series is my favorite series of all time.
Yes, definitely get Thief, Thief 2, and Thief Deadly Shadows. Eidos, Looking Glass, and Ion Storm are the creators behind the Thief Series. Kgrogers1979 is right, they also worked on Deus Ex and I think System Shock 2 as well.
Old 11-07-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Both NOLF games were great but part 2 was way to short...a problem with most game sequels nowadays.