Reload this Page >

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness ?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-02-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a search and saw a bunch of posts on the other Castlevania games, but nothing on Castlevania: Curse of Darkness.

Anybody picking this up?

I'm looking at picking up the X box version since Fry's has it for $37
Old 11-02-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
I have it pre-ordered at Gamestop. I plan on picking it up today after work. It hasn't been getting the greatest of reviews, but neither did the first one for PS2 and I loved that game.
Old 11-02-05, 02:37 PM

I preordered with Gamestop with free overnight shipping. I ordered the Xbox version with the bonus disc. I called Gamestop today and they told me it would not ship until the 8th. The bonus disc is not available yet and won't be until the 8th. Anybody receive a shipping confirmation or email from Gamestop about this?
Old 11-02-05, 02:39 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm keeping an add on it as it sounds like they tried to make the gameplay system more like SOTN and the GBA Castlevanias which are some of my all time favorites.

But I'm still skeptical as it's still in 3D.
Old 11-02-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Went by Best Buy and was going to PM to Fry's but Best Buy did not have it in yet. I asked someone as when they had checked it on their inventory system for me yesterday they had indicated it would be in today.

Oh well, I'll check back tomorrow.

The reviews I read said it had a good combat system but got kind of repetitive, but I'm generally okay with that in a game.
Old 11-02-05, 07:04 PM

I had it reserved at Gamestop, but it got such cruddy reviews I picked up Indigo Prophecy with my money instead. I'll buy it when the price drops.
Old 11-02-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm a huuuuuge Castlevania fan but even this game hasn't really got my interest. After the awesomeness that was Dawn of Sorrow on the DS, the images and movies for this game don't really do anything for me. But since I am a castlevania fan I am still going to rent it and check it out. However the artwork is incredible and so is the music, I just wish the game was better.
Old 11-02-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not a huge Castlevania fan, I sold Circle of the Moon along with my original GBA before the SP came out.

But I liked Symphony of the Night, having recently played a good hunk of it this year. I got Dawn of Sorrow on release, my wife got it for my birthday.

Even better than SOTN IMO *(ducks fanboy flames)*. One of the EGM reviewers agreed with me, too

I beat it and got the suck ending. I still need to play more to get a real ending.

EDIT: Let me clarify that I was talking about Dawn of Sorrow rather than Curse of Darkness. CoD got 7.5-8.5 range in EGM this month, pretty decent reviews, I haven't tried it out.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 11-04-05 at 02:05 AM.
Old 11-04-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I picked it up today and so far Im enjoying it. Its very much point A to point B, which is fine for me since I do not have 80+ hours to try and beat a game. The enemies do get a bit repetive after a while though.
Old 11-04-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What's on the X-Box bonus disc? Does it come with it, or was it a free perk for preordering?
Old 11-04-05, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
I played about 3 hours of this game last night. It's good, but so far I enjoyed LoI more. You actually travel in this game rather than it all being in one big castle. There's not nearly enough platforming in it. I think I've had to jump once so far. I really like the familiars you get and how the evolve. I plan on hopefully finishing it over the weekend.
Old 11-04-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
I played about 3 hours of this game last night. It's good, but so far I enjoyed LoI more. You actually travel in this game rather than it all being in one big castle. There's not nearly enough platforming in it. I think I've had to jump once so far. I really like the familiars you get and how the evolve. I plan on hopefully finishing it over the weekend.
Sounds good to me... I picked it up last night but haven't started it yet.

I'm not a huge platformer fan and got frustrated with that on some of the GBA Castlevania's in places.
Old 11-04-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll pick it up when it hits $20 (or $10 in the case of the first PS2 Castlevania).

What's on the bonus disc?
Old 11-04-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I'll pick it up when it hits $20 (or $10 in the case of the first PS2 Castlevania).

What's on the bonus disc?
The game's soundtrack, which is really good. The game is good, a step up from Lament but there are things done better in Lament, that arent done as well in Curse. Things like traveling the castle, Hector is a tad but slow. The backgrounds while bigger dont lend well to truly exploring the castle. The character models in Curse looks worlds better than they do in Lament, and the voice acting is A LOT better in this game. I know Lament was supposed to be viewed as a "play" but some parts I had to chuckle at. Not a bad game, but I too will wait until the price drops.
Old 02-28-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
This is one of the many games on clearance at Sears right now. The $20 price point has arrived.