DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Questions on Doom 3 CE Edition (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/442251-questions-doom-3-ce-edition.html)

K&AJones 10-20-05 06:10 PM

Questions on Doom 3 CE Edition

Hello

Yes I know it seems weird asking about a game that's been out for about 6 months but I am. I was at Game Crazy today just looking and they had this for $23 so I said what the heck I'll give it a shot considering when it first came out it was $60. I played the demo several months back but at the time my sights were on others including Unreal Tournament 2.

So I'm asking the basic questions like....

What can I expect from the game considering I love FPS style games?(Unreal Tournament and Half-Life on the pc)

What's the deal with the other versions of Doom included? Are they like the original pc games both in play and graphics?

I don't want cheats but is there some "tips" from those who've played all the way thru?

Not that it really maters now but is the on-line play worth it? I don't know why I'm asking considering I haven't had time to jump in Halo.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Kenny J. ( Buzz Starhopper)

KingSmoth 10-20-05 06:34 PM

$23 is a great price, I bought it launch day and it was well worth it.
I really enjoy the game, it can be very immersive and intense. Gameplay is similar to the first two games - some people find it very basic and old, but I love it. If you care about the graphics, I would say it is the best looking game on the Xbox.
Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II are the same as they were on PC. It was odd playing on a controller at first, but I played through both games, and they're as fun now as they were a decade ago.
Haven't finished the game yet(though I did on PC), so no comment on that.
I haven't tried online play yet - I haven't even been on XBL in probably 6 months.

DJ_Longfellow 10-21-05 05:35 AM

Well, I played through Doom 3 (XBOX) and I thought it was a good experience. The LIVE play was pretty boring to me...at least the deathmatch. It was only 4 players and the levels were confined. There is online co-op, which people LOVE. I never played it though.

Also, Doom 3:Resurrection of Evil came out for XBOX and it includes all the old DOOM's also on it. Supposedly this has more "open" environments.

Stoney 10-21-05 08:35 AM

Yah, multiplayer sucks on Doom 3, but single player was pretty fun. Basically a Half-Life ripoff with a portal to hell instead of Xen. Very effective atmosphere though.

NitroJMS 10-24-05 12:04 PM

FYI - If Game Crazy doesn't have this, CC is selling it for $29.99 now.

Noonan 10-24-05 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Also, Doom 3:Resurrection of Evil came out for XBOX and it includes all the old DOOM's also on it. Supposedly this has more "open" environments.

I traded some games in at gamestop to get socom and had more credit than I thought, so I picked this up. I've enjoyed it. I'm on the last level I think...the level's called Hell: Resurrection of Evil. Sounds like it's the last level. Very short, but it's only an expansion pack. I'd say somehwere between 6-8 hours. The disc has Ultimate Doom and Doom II on it just like the Doom 3 CE. Not a bad buy for $30.

K&AJones 10-24-05 09:07 PM

Well I'm only in a few levels (Doom3) so far but have been impressed. This plays so much like a pc game. It kinda reminds me of Half-Life (pc) version. Nothing like the earlier Dooms though. They were straight out "hack & slash" some-what like "Serious Sam". Over-all the $25 was well spent.
If there was one thing I wish the game had would be some type of "squad-base AI" built in. Be neat to go in and command like 2-3 bots. Something like the movie "Aliens". Other than that an outstanding game.

Kenny J. - Buzz