Recommend some good 'Light-Gun' games for any system

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now, I have the NES Zapper, Genesis Menacer, and a couple of GunCon2s for the PS/PS2. I would like to get the SNES Super Scope, the Lethal Enforcers guns for Genesis and/or Saturn, the Sega Master System gun, the Dreamcast gun, and the Sniper Scope for X-Box.

So far, these are the games I have:
Time Crisis 2 - PS2
Resident Evil: Dead Aim - PS2
Point Blank 2 & 3 - PS
Gunfighter: The Legend of Jesse James - PS
the 6-in-1 game for Genesis
a couple of NES games (Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, Wild Gunman, etc.)

I found a good list of all the NES Zapper games:
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/file/nes_zapper.txt

I want to get the rest of the Time Crisis games (and Point Blank 1,) in addition to House of the Dead III and Silent Scope Complete for X-Box. I would love to get Elemental Gearbolt for the PS, if I could ever find it...

Last edited by littlefuzzy; 10-16-05 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-16-05, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starsky and Hutch on the PS2 is a great controller/gun combo game for two players. One person drives the car on the missions while the other shoots the targets. Great co-op play and has always been reasonably priced.

I own most of the older NES gun games, first party (Wild Gunman, Gumshoe, etc.) I really like all of those. I do recall my brother owning a few on the PS2. Obviously, the Time Crisis games are top-notch, but he also had one featuring ninjas (!) and another with dinosaurs (!!) that seemed pretty well done (sorry, I don't have any titles for those).

Can't speak for the other systems, but the NES and PS2 have some pretty stellar options in the gun game category.
Old 10-16-05, 01:35 PM

I always loved the Virtua Cop games on Saturn. I also enjoyed House of the Dead and the Point Blank series is always good fun.
Old 10-16-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Time Crisis 2 on the PS2 and and House of the Dead 2 for the Dreamcast are my two favorites. You already have TC2, but Time Crisis 3 is also really good so I'd get that one also.
Old 10-16-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Save your money and wait for the Revolution. If nothing else, their light-gun type games should be most awesome.
Old 10-16-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My all time favorite game Snatcher involved the light gun. However, the only US release for it was on the Sega CD.
Old 10-16-05, 06:36 PM

Confidential Mission for the Dreamcast was pretty good.
Old 10-16-05, 07:59 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
The 3DO had a light gun for American Laser Games. Most, if not all, of the American Laser Games were released for the 3DO, including Mad Dog McCree 1 & 2, Crime Patrol 1 & 2, Space Pirates, Last Bounty Hunter, and Who Shot Johnny Rock.

My favorite gun series of all time (and I have many many gun games) is the Point Blank series for the PS1. I don't enjoy the Time Crisis series as much as 2 player is not feasible for me (2 PS2s + 2 TVs) for a reasonable image size. Vampire Night is very good, and Ninja Assault is fairly good, both true to the genre. I thought Dino Stalker was terrible.

Don't forget also that House of the Dead 3 for the Xbox includes an easily unlockable House of the Dead 2.
Old 10-16-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Confidential Mission on the DC is decent, but I find it overly difficult. HOTD2 is my favourite. I have HOTD3, but no light guns for it so I haven't played it yet.
Old 10-17-05, 08:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Save your money and wait for the Revolution. If nothing else, their light-gun type games should be most awesome.
who said Revolution is going to be light-gun capable?
Old 10-17-05, 08:39 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by scott1598
or that it will even have a lot of light gun games...
Old 10-17-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, it's not worth buying any light gun games what-so-ever right now. Waiting one year for the Revolution is the smart thing to do. Your enjoyment will be like 10 times as high!
Old 10-17-05, 09:55 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yeah, it's not worth buying any light gun games what-so-ever right now. Waiting one year for the Revolution is the smart thing to do. Your enjoyment will be like 10 times as high!
Old 10-18-05, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
Look, the controller is essentially a "light gun". It's reasonable to believe that any shooter will essentially be a light gun game, pointing at the screen and shooting targets (at least that's what their demo showed). Mock me if you like, but the Revolution will re-invent this genre. And this from a guy who has NEVER owned a Nintendo console.

And as far as this generation : I like Sniper Scope Complete for the Xbox, though that rifle is hard to come by these days.
Old 10-18-05, 10:30 AM
Mod Emeritus

Look, the controller is essentially a "light gun". It's reasonable to believe that any shooter will essentially be a light gun game, pointing at the screen and shooting targets (at least that's what their demo showed). Mock me if you like, but the Revolution will re-invent this genre. And this from a guy who has NEVER owned a Nintendo console.

And as far as this generation : I like Sniper Scope Complete for the Xbox, though that rifle is hard to come by these days.
Nintendo always skews toward a younger demographic even though they create games loved by all ages. I don't see them using this for anything more violent than skeet shooting and target shooting. It's not going to re-invent the genre.
Old 10-18-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

HOTD2 for the DC hands down was my favorite light gun game. A must have. There was also Death Crimson oX and confidental mission - just ok IMO
Old 10-18-05, 03:34 PM

Virtua Cop for Saturn
Point Blank 2 on PS1
Old 10-18-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since a lot of modern tvs (so I'm told) don't support traditional light guns, then the revolution could be our saviour in this respect.
Old 10-18-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Freedom Force was a great zapper game for the NES. Shooting Gallery for the Master System was fun as well.
Old 10-19-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You need Time Crisis 3. It is so much better than TC2 (or 1), it is one of the best gun shooters I have played.

Some good gun games from previous generations of systems in no particular order (not including those you already have):

Elemental Gearbolt (PS1)
Virtua Cop 2 (Saturn)
House of the Dead 2 (DC)
Old 10-19-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Nintendo always skews toward a younger demographic even though they create games loved by all ages. I don't see them using this for anything more violent than skeet shooting and target shooting. It's not going to re-invent the genre.
Yeah, that Resident Evil 4 was just too kiddy for most people...
Old 10-19-05, 01:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

Was that a Nintendo game? I thought Capcom did that one. I don't see many 3rd parties making controller exclusive games for Nintendo that are violent shooters, but hopefully I'll be proved wrong.
Old 10-19-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Was that a Nintendo game? I thought Capcom did that one. I don't see many 3rd parties making controller exclusive games for Nintendo that are violent shooters, but hopefully I'll be proved wrong.
How about Resident Evil: Dead Aim on Revolution? With the Revo controller that control scheme the game would actually be playable.

The only light gun game I bothered to play recently is Point Blank 3, it is tons of fun but is a PSX game, however don't let that stop you, did they ever release a PS2 version? There is no violence in point blank either.
Old 10-19-05, 07:04 PM

Don't forget Vampire Night and Ninja Assault both for PS2. You can also consider Dino Stalker PS2.
Old 10-19-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge for the SNES.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.