Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The 1/Only PSP Discussion Thread Part 2: THE REVENGE!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The 1/Only PSP Discussion Thread Part 2: THE REVENGE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks...I've been out of the PSP loop for a while, I barely play mine anymore. Not even sure if I have the WAB Launcher. I still have my GTA sealed....never bothered to upgrade (I don't want to lose "things")
Old 12-21-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***STOP: 0x00000035 (0x843D9708, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administator or technical support group

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just purchased a PSP the other day, charged it all up, ran Burnout and installed the required 2.00 update that came with it, been playing it just fine along with GTA: LCS. I go onto the PSP website and find out there is a later update (2.60). I plug it in using the USB interface (With a Datel USB cable I purchased), run it, my computer sees it just fine, I double click the "Removable Device" in My Computer, I see the "PSP" folder, which I double click on, and then BAM! Blue Screen of DEATH. With that message on top. I formatted the 32mb card, tried again, same results. I have to go so I'll try the USB 2.0 ports in the back of my PC when I get home, but besides that, any suggestions?
Old 12-22-05, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the Midway Treasures the other day. I love it so far. It's great to play the Wizard of Wor again. Haven't played it in years!!
Old 12-22-05, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just bought a 2GB Duo stick for my PSP at B&H Photo, after $20 rebate will be $129.99. Not too bad. Not a smoking hot deal but good price compared to $199.99 at most other places. Im hoping to load up a lot more video on my PSP.
Old 12-22-05, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus

***STOP: 0x00000035 (0x843D9708, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administator or technical support group

I just purchased a PSP the other day, charged it all up, ran Burnout and installed the required 2.00 update that came with it, been playing it just fine along with GTA: LCS. I go onto the PSP website and find out there is a later update (2.60). I plug it in using the USB interface (With a Datel USB cable I purchased), run it, my computer sees it just fine, I double click the "Removable Device" in My Computer, I see the "PSP" folder, which I double click on, and then BAM! Blue Screen of DEATH. With that message on top. I formatted the 32mb card, tried again, same results. I have to go so I'll try the USB 2.0 ports in the back of my PC when I get home, but besides that, any suggestions?
Don't upgrade to 2.60. Its not necessary.
Old 12-22-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Don't upgrade to 2.60. Its not necessary.
Well that's a bit too late, but why shouldn't I have? I don't plan on modding it or putting any un-official software on it (I haven't seen anything worth putting on it, unless you know any good software).

I tried increasing the IRPStackSize in the registry (following a microsoft.com troubleshooting guide.) but that didn't help. But I started my computer up in Safe Mode and that allowed me to access it. So I installed the update (as well as putting on a few nice wallpapers), and now it's all good.
Old 12-24-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just opened a PSP from the wife. She also bought me Virtua Tennis, Prince of Persia, and Star Wars Battlefront II
Old 12-24-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Demontooth
I just opened a PSP from the wife. She also bought me Virtua Tennis, Prince of Persia, and Star Wars Battlefront II
Nice! Enjoy.
Old 12-25-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

2 questions:

Does anyone expect a price drop soon?

For those who have gotten one recently, have you run into any dead pixel issues?

I just got a DS and next on my list is a PSP.
Old 12-25-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
2 questions:

For those who have gotten one recently, have you run into any dead pixel issues?

The wife bought mine for $209 with Meijer Santa bucks.

No dead pixels.
Old 12-25-05, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
What games need the 2.0 upgrade to run?
Old 12-26-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
2 questions:

I got two dead pixels out of the box. Not really bothersome, I only notice it when I look for it. One seems smaller than the other though.
Old 12-26-05, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
None for me. I really checked well. If there were any, I'd return the unit at once. Barring that, I believe Sony is honoring exchanges (or so I've read in PSM).
Old 12-26-05, 09:43 AM

I got a PSP fr Christmas, since I think I have build my own Xbox 360 if I'm to get one in this lifetime. No dead pixels at all. This thing is really awesome and has actually now allowed me to hold off on the 360 purchase until the PS3 comes out. What must have accessories should I go out and get?
Old 12-26-05, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by pdutta2000
I got a PSP fr Christmas, since I think I have build my own Xbox 360 if I'm to get one in this lifetime. No dead pixels at all. This thing is really awesome and has actually now allowed me to hold off on the 360 purchase until the PS3 comes out. What must have accessories should I go out and get?
The Logitech PlayGear case is the one must-have item. It's cheap ($19.99) and essential since it protects the PSP and allows it be played in the case.

The only other essential item is a 1 GB Memory Stick Duo (if you didn't get the Gigapac that includes it). Then (with LOTS of work and lots of time), you can copy a DVD onto the stick to watch on the go. I never bother with those UMD movies.
Old 12-26-05, 10:50 AM

Oh, also you can find some super-cheap items at Axeshop.com, linked here. Their site may look sketchy, but there's pretty good, actually (though their shipping is really slow). Some great deals there and I've bought a case from them and a screen protector that I really liked.
Old 12-26-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
The Logitech PlayGear case is the one must-have item. It's cheap ($19.99) and essential since it protects the PSP and allows it be played in the case.

The only other essential item is a 1 GB Memory Stick Duo (if you didn't get the Gigapac that includes it). Then (with LOTS of work and lots of time), you can copy a DVD onto the stick to watch on the go. I never bother with those UMD movies.
I picked up the 1 GB stick at Best Buy today for $69.
Old 12-27-05, 12:55 AM

FYI, in case anyone missed this at CAG, Virtua Tennis is now $19.99 at Best Buy (or $14.99 a/c). Just picked it up and it's a pretty nice title. Graphics are quite good and frankly I think it controls and plays better than Top Spin on the Xbox, even with the PSP's crappy analog stick.
Old 12-28-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^Thanks for the heads up. Virtua Tennis was one of the main games I wanted to get when I purchase the PSP this week. Looking forward to Wipeout as well.
Old 12-28-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.exitmovie.net/

Watch that. It's for the PSP game Exit, out in Japan right now, coming out here in the next month or two, and it looks awesome.

http://www.taito.co.jp/d3/cp/exit/popup/pop1-wm.html

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/exit/media.html

http://www.famitsu.com/sp/051024_exi...exit_taito.wmv

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/e...w_6133797.html

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...section-games/

The Japanese version is English friendly from what I hear, with only the tutorial being in Japanese and the rest of the game in English.

I'm loving the music, I love the art style, and I want the game right now.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 12-28-05 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-28-05, 11:53 PM

Yeah, I've followed that one for a while. Looks stylish, but I'm concerned that the gameplay (find the exit) might get old in a short time. We'll see. Any reviews yet?
Old 12-29-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I do know that the game requires the 2.50 update and that you can download new levels onto your memory stick. When it's all said and done, 100+ additional levels will be available for download. Other than that, here are some quotes from the Gaming-Age forums:

Ok completed the first situation of Exit (10 stages of tutorial) and it opened up all the stages of situations 2-7. The game seems completely free-scenario as in you can play any stage in any order once you clear the requires to open the next set. I guess you need to clear all of situations 2-7 to unlock 8-10. But now I have 60 stages to play that are non-tutorial! YAY!

The tutorials were really simple and basic, and filled with help pop-ups, being a tutorial hater it was kinda annoying, but the game is very slick. Loading is lightning fast and the gameplay is great for 2D sidescrolling adventure fans. The AI is really good and the game actually makes use of the entire "you must use yourself as well as the people you are saving to get everyone out safely" concept really well. The stages are just short enough to make this a very good portable game.
I cleared Situation 2 (Burning Inferno) in Exit and started on Situation 3 (Subway Under Water)... I really like the pacing of the game so far. Each Situation is a completely different type of disaster that you're saving people out of, and each stage is a unique puzzle (or combination of puzzles to a larger puzzle) involving that theme. 10 stages per situation is just right imo. Each stage is averaging about 3-4 minutes now on my best time, and usually it requires a few retries before you "get" it. The game is really suited for travel in that sense, as the stages themselves are bite-sized but complex enough to tease your brain and be fun.

I'm officially declaring Exit to be Flashback x Lemmings.

Day One impression: A-
Exit is very import-friendly. The story scenes that "introduce" each Situation is a bunch of stills + Japanese text, but they're not really important to the experience at all. They're kinda funny though, it usually starts with Mr ESC saying it's his day off, and he goes hit on some chicks and have coffee with an old friend or something when a building catches fire or the floor collapses or some random shit like that. Then he goes "I WILL SAVE THE DAY!", etc. The game itself is 100% puzzle with the "story" being a background thing.
Ok here's how it goes. The game itself has 100 stages (10 stages per Situation) and now they're going to start FREE downloadable Situations (10 stages each) every Thursday, every week from next week till 23rd Feb 2006. That's 10 weeks, but the article claims 110 downloadable stages, so maybe there's something extra down the line. The plan is that by the end of Feb the game will have 210 stages total.

Damn talk about value for money. ^_^
You gotta understand, each stage is REALLY SMALL (for very valid reasons), so it's not much of an issue. The animations that ARE slow are done so to give more tension to the situation (climbing ladders in particular) while animations of you going up and down stairs and going down ropes is fast enough really. Movement speed is fine, and there's running (and tripping, but whatever ). You really have to play the game and see the animation to "feel" that it's just right. I know many people are turned off by the "slow" comments but it really isn't much of an issue at all.
This same guy is just flat out praising the new Mega Man game that will be coming out here soon:

Update time for Irregular Hunter X. I completed the X mode on Normal with all upgrades/subtanks/tanks/etc, watched the entire Day of Sigma animated episode and started on VAVA mode on Normal. So these are impressions anymore but more of a mini-review:

Irregular Hunter X is one of the best 2.5D gaming experiences you can have on the go now and I seriously don't know what the FUCK Famitsu was thinking giving it 27/40. This is at the very very least a 8/10 game. The MMX game itself is perfectly remade into 3D with sharp visuals, great modeling and animation and AMAZING backgrounds. The backgrounds and large-scale bosses are really what make the difference here because they look like what a current-gen sidescroller in 3D *should* look like.

Aside from slowdown in a few (very few) crowded scenes in the game, the framerate is otherwise awesome and the controls are flawless but if you feel the controls need any tweaking there's always the completely customizable key config menu. Besides turning the game into really beautiful 3D without compromising the gameplay or art design, they've also added high-quality animation FMVs by Xebec and fully voiced dialogue sequences to enhance the story and bring it closer (well in reality, it surpasses) to the style of the PS/SS versions of MMX3-4. There's a pre-title screen FMV intro with J-rock song, an different intro FMV for X and VAVA modes and different ending FMVs for X and VAVA modes.

Now if that's not enough (and Capcom in their divine benovelant love for all Mega Man fans feel it's not enough) there's a full TWENTY-FIVE MINUTE animated video that unlocks when you complete the X mode. It feels a lot in execution to FFVII Last Order in that it's a prequel story that most people are sort of familiar with but an excellent excuse to show the characters we know and love in an action-packed 2D animated episode without compromising the storyline or continuity.

Now somehow Capcom felt all that fucking awesome crap wasn't enough. No, it wasn't. So enter: VAVA MODE (probably VILE MODE in the US version). This isn't some cheap Castlevania style "play as the other character" deal. It's more like Dawn of Sorrow's extra character mode. VAVA has his own alternate-story plot with intro/ending FMVs, different voiced pre-boss dialogues, completely remixed enemy placements on the same stages, and best of all..... a completely DIFFERENT gameplay scheme. Before I explain more, I'll say this. VAVA mode is HARD! If you try to play it like you're playing as X it's even HARDER! Now the explaination of why...

VAVA comes with 3 body armaments, head, arm and feet. Each of these armaments corresponds to a button (square, triangle, circle) with X being jump. Before each stage you must equip your choice of weapons on each armament for different effects and once in a stage unlike X you cannot change weapons. VAVA's weapons all take up his energy bar but unlike X his bar recharges automatically when not in use. VAVA also has a tiny-ass lifebar to start with. VAVA gets additional weapon armaments to play with each time he beats a boss, and his subtanks and energy tanks are all in DIFFERENT places in the various stages. Replay value = AAAAA+. Oh and when you play as VAVA, when you usually fight VAVA in the X mode, in the VAVA mode you fight X.

Now let me take a moment to just say:

THANK YOU CAPCOM JAPAN FOR GIVING ME SOMETHING BACK FOR MY YEARS OF LOYAL SUPPORT OF MEGA MAN EVEN THOUGH I STOPPED BUYING THEM WHEN THEY ALL WENT TO SHIT! I STILL BELIEVED IN A DREAM THAT ONE DAY IT'LL ALL COME BACK AND IT HAS! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here is the thread with all of the above information, and the information about the Mega Man games

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=76052
Old 12-29-05, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
FYI, in case anyone missed this at CAG, Virtua Tennis is now $19.99 at Best Buy (or $14.99 a/c). Just picked it up and it's a pretty nice title. Graphics are quite good and frankly I think it controls and plays better than Top Spin on the Xbox, even with the PSP's crappy analog stick.
Picked this up today. Thanks for the heads up. This has always been one of my favorite games. Brings back fond memories of my Dreamcast. The game is very good on the PSP, highly recommended.
Old 12-29-05, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, who is still using 1.5 firmware? I have yet to upgrade still...I like my other things, but more and more new games are forcing you to update, so I may bite the bullit....one day.
Old 12-29-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Both Mega Man games sound pretty hot, sadly though.. neither are good enough to entice me to buy the hardware yet.. so off into the "List of PSP games I want when I get a PSP" you go. Still, that's becoming a nice sized list so that alone may make me crumble if no AAA title comes out that'll make me buy the system.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.