DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Games better than their movie counterparts (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/423906-games-better-than-their-movie-counterparts.html)

IMRICKJAMES 05-23-05 09:42 PM

Games better than their movie counterparts

The Punisher comes to mind.

Ok game, but the movie was horrible

what others?

jrobinson 05-23-05 09:52 PM

Mortal Kombat
Street Fighter

darkside 05-23-05 09:56 PM

Chronicles of Riddick

jeffdsmith 05-23-05 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
Chronicles of Riddick

Damn, beat me to it. But I have another:

Mario Brothers.

Michael Corvin 05-23-05 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
Chronicles of Riddick

Just to nitpick the game had nothing to do with the movie. The game was actually "escape from butcher bay."

Xploited 05-24-05 04:34 AM

The Punisher game is not based on the movie, but rather the comics by Ennis.

Giantrobo 05-24-05 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Just to nitpick the game had nothing to do with the movie. The game was actually "escape from butcher bay."

The game kinda did have to do with the movie in that it was set before the events of "Chronicles". Riddick even mentions Butcher Bay after he's caught again by the Merc.

Either way I liked the "CoR" movie a lot but the video game is just ok so far.

Giantrobo 05-24-05 05:34 AM

I've only played Aliens V Predator on XBOX which was ok but I hear the previous PC version(s?) are pretty good.

nemein 05-24-05 05:48 AM

I've only played Aliens V Predator on XBOX which was ok but I hear the previous PC version(s?) are pretty good.
I kind of enjoyed the Xbox one, it's hard to port a RTS to a console but I think they did a pretty good job of it. Regarding the PC versions they are FPSs and they were pretty good.

wlj 05-24-05 06:52 AM

Goldeneye(N64)

wlj

DARTH GAMER 05-24-05 09:13 AM

I would have to suggest Resident Evil and Tomb Raider then. (Tomb Raider as in the first and second Game. Both better than the movies.)

cheapskate 05-24-05 10:07 AM

Others will likely disagree but...

I'm always up for a new James Bond game (especially the upcoming From Russia with Love) - but I can't see myself watching a new Bond movie; I stopped after I saw Tomorrow Never Dies (? - or whichever non-sensical title came out after GoldenEye anyway)

I think it's probably safe to say the following were all better games than movies...

House of the Dead
Alone in the Dark

Plenty more on the way too...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0093051/

nemein 05-24-05 11:07 AM

Brings up an interesting question about whether we should divide this into two categories (one w/ movies based on games and one w/ games based on movies)? I think more people would say those movies that are based on games generally suck, whereas games based on movies (or even TV) seem to be a mixed bag.

pinata242 05-24-05 01:13 PM

Wing Commander, hands down the most disappointing experience of my life. I felt so cold and alone when Chris Roberts betrayed me like that, I wept for weeks.

Aphex Twin 05-24-05 01:23 PM

Super Mario Brothers

fujishig 05-24-05 01:40 PM

Yeah, it should be split:
when was a movie based on a videogame better than the videogame?
when was a videogame based on a movie better than the movie?

Usually, because the source material is either good enough or popular enough to branch out to another medium, the source is better... unless you have some kind of campaign like .hack or something. And by "based on the movie", I'd include anything tying in to the movie, if not exactly following the storyline (so Riddick and the various Matrix games would count). And then you have Aliens vs. Predator, which was based on a comic book, made into a game, and then made into a terrible movie. Or street fighter, which was a game made into a movie that then produced a terrible movie-based game. Argh, I'm going crazy!

msdmoney 05-24-05 02:26 PM

I will second or third Chronicles of Riddick, the movie sucked, but the game was amazing.

I agree this should be games based on movies, because generally, movies made after games are made because the games were good enough to warrant a movie, but the movie is pretty much gauranteed to suck.

story 05-24-05 03:07 PM

Goonies 2 for NES. ;)

Xploited 05-24-05 10:33 PM

Hmm... I just don't see why anyone is bringing up the Chronicles of Riddick game, it's a prequel to Pitch Black, and other than to the character of Riddick, is unrelated to the story of the movie.

SuprVgeta 05-25-05 02:49 AM

Resident Evil

DRG 05-25-05 10:23 AM

On an old school level...

http://www.chimenti.org/arcade/images/comps/tron.jpg

fujishig 05-25-05 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Xploited
Hmm... I just don't see why anyone is bringing up the Chronicles of Riddick game, it's a prequel to Pitch Black, and other than to the character of Riddick, is unrelated to the story of the movie.

I don't see the issue here... it's based on the universe built upon by the movie, and it came out at the same time the movie did, so clearly there was a lot of tie-in there. Just like I would consider that crappy matrix game, and even matrix online, to be sourced from the movies even if it followed a different storyline.

Riddick is also the one game that stands out to me as a game based on a movie (okay, let's call it a line of movies) that is better than the movie it is based on. I guess Goldeneye too, though if you compare all of the Bond movies with all of the Bond games, the movies still come out ahead. There have recently been a lot of great videogames based on movies, but as good as the games are, the movies were better (I'm thinking of Spiderman 2, the LOTR games, Star Wars KOTORs). And I don't care if the new Scarface game is the next Grand Theft Auto, it'll never be as good as the movie...

On the other hand, I can think of NO movies based on videogames that were better than the source: though you could argue that Tomb Raider, at least has sustained it's popularity a bit better in the movie industry than the game industry.

Any other cases where the derivitive material is better than the source?

Groucho 05-25-05 12:49 PM

Enter the Matrix was a piece of shit, with terrible gameplay and tons of bugs. Still, it was a masterpiece compared to the two Matrix movies it was made to tie in with.

Michael Corvin 05-25-05 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Riddick is also the one game that stands out to me as a game based on a movie (okay, let's call it a line of movies) that is better than the movie it is based on. I guess Goldeneye too, though if you compare all of the Bond movies with all of the Bond games, the movies still come out ahead.

But that is just it, COR isn't based on the movie. It is an entirely different story. So you have:

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Pitch Black
Chronicles of Riddick
Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury

All seperate stories set in the same universe with the same characters.

Just for arguments sake, an analogy if you will:

Final Fantasy VII :Final Fantasy-The Spirits Within:: COR:EfBB:COR. Other than the title and the character they have nothing in common.

On the other hand Goldeneye is a faithful translation of the movie. Pretty much scene for scene.

cheapskate 05-25-05 02:43 PM

But if it weren't for the MOVIE - the game wouldn't exist, right? They're games using the world created by a movie; just like James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing... which would be NOTHING without the movie universe of Bond. It wouldn't have existed. The requirements for the "games better than their movie counterparts" was never posted anyway... so it's a moot point.

I think the initial post was too vague to create a nitpicky discussion... :lol: