Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Xbox 360 v PS3 - What's your Current Inkling ?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-05, 12:44 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I know things will change as more info comes to hand and people will to and fro

But right now, this second, what's your current inkling ?

xbox 360 or PS3 ?

I'm leaning towards the PS3, i love the xbox because of media centre, i actually use it more to play divx,xvid, wmv, asf etc files that i use it to play games. Because i've already got this setup with my xbox, that part of the Xbox 360 isn't a big seller so due to gaming power, i think the PS3 will get my vote.
Old 05-16-05, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm not a bad idea, a new thread to keep the console vs comparisons out of the E3 news threads?

Ok firstly I'll be likely buying both. The ps3 will have to be an absolute debacle for me not to pick one up.

- Both 360 and ps3 are amazingly powerful. Every screen shot, and demo we've seen up till now don't even hint at what they will be able to do, fully tapped. Essentially the 360 hardware meets all realistic requirements from a performance consideration, particularly considering the $300-400 price point.

- While the cell architecture will almost certainly be able to do more raw calculations than the 360 (3x is the figure thrown around but we don't even know the final configuration will be so it could be more or less), its likely that developers will be struggling to even match the visual quality of titles on 360, let alone surpass them. Sony will have their work cut out for them developing a suite of tools to allow developers to tame the cell beast. Regardless, anyone who is expecting 1st gen or even 2nd gen ps3 games to blow the 360 out of the water are off in dreamland IMNSHO.

- 3rd party engines like the Unreal 3 engine will be even more important this time round due to spiraling dev costs, and comparative difficulty of mastering the hardware.

- The 360 will have a stronger game library than the xbox this time round with a better range of titles from Japan. However the PS3 will still likely dominate that region with a library of probably 5:1. Both consoles will get similar levels of support in US and Europe.

Final summary, both consoles will have enough exclusives, for me to own both (the ps3 edging out the 360 due to copious amout of rpgs and quirky games from Japan). Also neither will disappoint me performancewise.
Old 05-16-05, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Revolution?
Old 05-16-05, 06:03 AM

My prediction is that the Xbox will continue to have the better online format. I am really impressed with what I've read so far and can't imagine Sony will best it, the closer they are will rely on how much they "borrow" from Xbox.

I think that PS3 will have the larger library but not to the degree of last generation and stronger graphics due to the later release (probably not to a larger degree than Xbox vs. PS2).

My personal gaming is mostly offline so I am leaning towards PS3 (blindly) but I'm excited for both.

In regards to the Revolution, Nintendo even says that it will be its own category whereas these two consoles are fighting head-to-head so my guess is that most people know if there going to get the Revolution before they hear a thing about it.
Old 05-16-05, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah at this stage theres more indication that xbox 360 and ps3 will be going head to head for a very similar market demographic, outside of Japan anyway. I guess the revolution will do it's own thing. Based on what I know so far I will be buying a ps3 and 360 ahead of the revolution.

Maybe someone can update the thread subject .
Old 05-16-05, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm pretty sure I'll end up with both the 360 and the PS3. No point in fighting it.
Old 05-16-05, 07:13 AM

I Just Pre ordered my 360 at EBgames on Friday. They said they were only taking 14 preorders and anyone after that is getting put on a list untill further notice. Had to plop down 50 for the pre buy. The only thing that has me a little stunned is that in their computer, they had the full price at $500 bones. I'm sure this will change. If not, I might have to reconsider. I will also be getting the PS3 to get back on target. I really don't prefer one console over the other. For me it's who has the game I want to play at this moment. I will even grab the Rev, but I think I can wait till a price drop.
Old 05-16-05, 07:16 AM
Banned

This has closed thread written all over it. We have separate threads to keep it on topic and the console comparisons limited. We don't know enough about either console to make a decision.
Old 05-16-05, 07:25 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i will definitely be getting a 360. The FPS is my favorite genre -- this is the best system for that genre. I will probably end up getting a PS3 too, but 360 is doing a pretty good job of getting alot of support -- so I may not have to. I won't get the Revolution -- I had a Gamecube -- while it was a pretty good system -- there are only like 2 or 3 games a year that are released for it that are worth getting.

wlj
Old 05-16-05, 07:50 AM

I'm buying PS3, X Box 360, and The revolution. I love to be able to play all the games I want.
Old 05-16-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This should have been a poll thread. On topic, I will be getting both. Each system has its own collection of great games. The consoles are coming out a few months from each other if not more so, that makes it easy on the wallet.
Old 05-16-05, 08:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
At this point? Neither, but that can change as more specific information comes out about each console, lauch games, etc.

I'm currently leaning towards PS3. This is because the Xbox360 has a lot of games that are also going to be on PC. Since I'm primarilly a PC gamer, I'll get those on that platform.
Old 05-16-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the next genereation consoles are going to be very even this time around so if I can I would get a PS3 and Xbox360.
Old 05-16-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I'll probably get a PS3 for 2 reasons:

1) I already have a PSP, and I'm curious to see how the 2 work together
2) I never did pick up a PS2, so there will be a ton of games that I can grab for it and play while I wait for good PS3 games to show up
Old 05-16-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joshd2012
This has closed thread written all over it. We have separate threads to keep it on topic and the console comparisons limited. We don't know enough about either console to make a decision.
There was a PSP vs DS thread to keep the discussion and occasional bitching in one place and keep the other threads clean .

I kind of agree about the lack of information, but really we should know a lot more about the PS3 very soon, and there's likely to be a continuing flood of 360 announcements till launch.

Also I'd rather see what people actually have to say than just a simple vote tally.
Old 05-16-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
It's hard to say at this point. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think this will be the first generation I don't buy all released consoles. I'm probably going to decide between the 360 and PS3, and also pick up a Revolution depending on what it has to offer that different than the other two. Only time will tell.
Old 05-16-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
x360 for me. The only question I have left is about "backward compatiblity". Then I'll know if I should sell my currnet games or not.
Old 05-16-05, 09:43 AM

Since there is virtually no information regarding the PS3 or the Revolution for that matter, I think making a decision now before seeing any games and actually touching the hardware is both premature and stupid.
Old 05-16-05, 10:00 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
Since there is virtually no information regarding the PS3 or the Revolution for that matter, I think making a decision now before seeing any games and actually touching the hardware is both premature and stupid.
I agree. We really won't have enough info on either console or its library of games until E3 2006 if they plan to launch Fall 2006.
Old 05-16-05, 10:11 AM

Here is a list of games so far for the XBOX 360. Got this off of the EBgames site. Not that it will help in terms of the PS3 or Revolution but it's interesting to see.

Games

It can be difficult, even for a console publisher, to get Rockstar's attention.
One of the reasons the Xbox 360 seems poised for success is that developer support is very strong. Microsoft’s Peter Moore noted that about 4,000 developer kits for the new console have already been distributed. While many developers, especially Japanese ones, were skeptical of the Xbox when it arrived in 2001, most of the naysayers eventually came on board. The one key thing about the industry now is that the days of seeing the sorts of exclusive deals that helped Nintendo rule the roost back in the day are probably gone for good. The fact that a company like Rockstar would convert its Grand Theft Auto games over to the Xbox speaks to how Microsoft made believers among the development community.

The nature of the video game business for publishers is to reach as many people as possible. Consoles with user bases in the millions can’t be ignored. There’s been enough excitement in the development community over the current Xbox hardware and the potential of Xbox Live that making the leap to the 360 right now makes smart business sense. The powerful hardware, which MS has made no secret it’s aiming to make as developer-friendly as possible, will have a very powerful draw on developers, who are always hungry for more muscle to realize their visions.

Microsoft will be in good shape if they can attract and retain more Japanese developers like Tecmo.
This has ensured a healthy amount of support in the US, but, based on all the announcements that have been made in the months leading up to E3, it appears MS has managed to entice the Japanese development community as well. With support from heavy hitters such as ex-Square motherbrain Hironobu Sakaguchi, who is now with Mistwalker, and ex-Sega visionary Tetsuya Mizuguchi, the 360 is poised to have unique content that should have a strong appeal to the Japanese market and, by default, the US one. By signing developers of that caliber and by retaining close ties with Tecmo’s amazing Team Ninja, all signs point to the 360 software library having some great content. This is ultimately all coming about because Microsoft has shown it “gets” what’s needed to be a success in the console space and that confidence is picked up on by developers who are eager to throw down with someone who’s hungry to make a mark in the industry.

Here are some games that have been announced or are known to be in development on the Xbox 360.

2 Days to Vegas
Developer: Steel Monkeys
Publisher: n/a

Not much is known about this action adventure game so far, but the cars in early screenshots, as well as the storyline--which involves a convict who must help get his younger brother out of trouble--is reminiscent of the Nick Cage film Gone in 60 Seconds.

Alan Wake
Developer: Remedy

The maker of the Max Payne series will be bringing this game to the Xbox 360. The screenshots and first trailer show a quiet, eerily idyllic setting in a heavily forested area near the coast.

Blue Dragon
Developer: Mistwalker

Hironobu Sakaguchi and other ex-Square developers are hard at work on a role-playing game for the Xbox 360. Character design will be done by noted illustrator Akira Toriyama. The two previously collaborated on the classic SNES RPG Chrono Trigger, which bodes well for Blue Dragon.

Call of Duty 2
Developer: Infinity Ward
Publisher: Activision

It hasn’t been officially announced on the Xbox 360, but sharp-eyed GameSpot editors spied this World War II shooter at the taping of the Xbox 360 premiere event. The PC version of the game will follow the storylines of four different soldiers, as well as offer squad-based combat.

Condemned
Developer: Monolith
Publisher: Sega

This survival horror game from Sega and Monolith will follow Ethan Thomas, an FBI agent in the Serial Crimes Unit (SCU), which is a team of G-men dedicated to tracking down serial killers, Clarice Starling-style. While playing as Thomas, gamers must navigate “urban environments filled with deadly sociopaths who lurk on the periphery of humanity,” according to Sega. Sign us up.

Dark corridors abound in early media of Dark Sector.
Dark Sector
Developer: Digital Extremes

This first-person sci-fi action game is being developed by the same folks that brought you Unreal Championship and Unreal Tournament 2003. The first trailer shows a stealthy alien skulking his way through the halls of a human base or ship.

The Darkness
Developer: Starbreeze Studios.
Publisher: Majesco Games

The developer of the surprise hit, The Chronicles of Riddick, are hard at work on a new action game, which is adapted from a comic book of the same name. Players will take the role of a Mafia hitman named Jackie Estacado who is possessed by strange, mystical powers.

Demonik
Developer: Terminal Reality
Publisher: Majesco Games

Noted horror author Clive Barker teams up with the makers of Bloodrayne to produce this game, which will be based on a horror movie. If the storyline is as compelling as Undying, Barker’s last foray into games, then Xbox 360 players should be in for a treat.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Developer: Bethesda Softworks
Publisher: 2K Games

The creator of the monstrously epic Daggerfall and Morrowind role-playing games will bring the next iteration in the Elder Scrolls series, Oblivion, to the Xbox 360. The game promises to offer the same open-ended style of gameplay and story advancement as its predecessors.

Full Auto
Developer: Sega
Publisher: Sega

This car combat game hearkens to The Road Warrior and other car combat films and games. Pick a car and outfit it with machine guns, cannons, and other weapons before driving it to battle in the streets of a city called Staunton. Xbox Live support means you can shoot up your friends and their rides too.

Gears of War
Developer: Epic Games
Publisher: MS Game Studios

Probably the most impressive-looking of the first batch of titles revealed for the Xbox 360, Epic Games’ Gears of War looks like it’s going to be a hard-hitting sci-fi-themed tactical shooter. Featuring a behind-the-back, third-person perspective and an impressive level of detail in the characters and environments, Gears of War has blockbuster sci-fi hit written all over it. We wonder how it’ll actually play, though.

Ghost Recon 3
Developer: Ubisoft
Publisher: Ubisoft

If the previous games in the series are any indication, players will lead a team of highly trained and heavily armed special forces units through intense tactical battles in Ubisoft’s upcoming shooter.

Kameo: Elements of Power
Developer: Rare, Ltd.
Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios

Originally slated for release on the Xbox, Rare’s platformer will instead debut on the Xbox 360. The titular heroine of the game has the ability to magically transform into different monsters, giving her specialized powers to fight off the evil trolls that have invaded her land.

This isn’t actual in-game footage, but Michael Strahan still looks scary.
Madden NFL 06
Developer: EA Tiburon
Publisher: EA Sports

An action-packed trailer for the next-generation of Madden NFL games aired on ESPN during the NFL Draft a few weeks ago. The videos and screenshots taken from that trailer are not actual in-game footage, but they should give us a good idea of what to expect from the game as far as camera angles, special effects, and graphical fidelity go.

NBA 2K6
Developer: Visual Concepts
Publisher: 2K Sports

Stunningly realistic visuals demonstrate set our expectations high for the next installment in Visual Concepts’ acclaimed basketball series, coming to the Xbox 360.

Need for Speed Most Wanted
Developer: Electronic Arts
Publisher: Electronic Arts

EA’s hugely successful street racing series is coming to the Xbox 360, complete with some high-speed, dangerous police chases this time around.

Perfect Dark Zero
Developer: Rare, Ltd.
Publisher: MS Game Studios

Perfect Dark Zero is the sequel to the classic Rare shooter from the Nintendo64. Details on the game were spilled by a clan of female professional gamers, whose members revealed that the game would include spy gadgets and jetpack-like devices.

Project Gotham Racing 3
Developer: MS Game Studios
Publisher: Bizarre Creations

The beloved Xbox racing franchise is officially headed to the Xbox 360. Kudos to whoever made that decision. We can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Quake 4
Developer: Raven Software

Like Call of Duty 2, Quake 4 hasn’t been specifically announced for the Xbox 360 yet. But the Raven-developed sequel to id Software’s classic shooter series was spotted in trailer form at the taping of MTV’s Xbox 360 premiere show.

Saint’s Row
Developer: THQ
Publisher: THQ

THQ is developing a GTA-style action game for the Xbox 360.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
Developer: EA Sports
Publisher: EA Sports

We’re almost frightened to think about how realistic Tiger Woods is going to look in the first Xbox 360 installment in his highly acclaimed golf sim series.

Tomb Raider: Legend
Developer: Crystal Dynamics
Publisher: Eidos Interactive

Lara Croft is back, but you probably already knew that just from hearing the collective swoon of prepubescent boys. In her latest adventure, she’ll be platforming through various settings, such as an office building, a mineshaft, and (what else?) a medieval tomb. Also look for her to wield her signature guns akimbo, as well as a rocket launcher.

Tony Hawk’s American Wasteland
Developer: Neversoft

American Wasteland will set the Tony Hawk series in one gigantic Los Angeles, free from loading times. The game will also feature BMX biking and online play via Xbox Live.
Old 05-16-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love my Xbox but I'm not getting the 360, I'm getting the PS3. This wave Xbox had the hardware advantages but Sony blew it away when it came to games. PS3 will have better hardware and better games. I'd much rather be playing the next gen GTA, Grand Turismo, Metal Gear, than the next gen Halo.
Old 05-16-05, 10:17 AM
Banned

Where is Malice 2
Old 05-16-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Which ever wins the the HDTV (Blue vers Red) war, I will buy that box. I will not have to worry about for another 18 to 24 months, so today I will be at peace concerning Xbox 360 vers PS3
Old 05-16-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the Xbox360 hardware, but so far the exclusive software looks like more of the same FPS heavy lineup. The PS3 will probably have the variety advantage once again and I will probably get the PS3 or Revolution depending on what Nintendo comes up with.
Old 05-16-05, 11:05 AM
Retired

Leaning toward the PS3 just based on liking a ton more games on the PS2 than I did on the X-box. I can't imagine the third party exclusives will be much different next gen, other than I expect Resident Evil to probably be on the PS3 rather than Nintendo's console (or on both).

Plus in the rumor section of the latest EGM they mentioned hearing that several developers pulled their X-box 360 projects after being shown what the PS3 could do.

So right now PS3 has a big lead in my eyes for my personal purchase, but I"m still anxiously waiting to see what Nintendo's "Revolution" entails.

And I don't plan on buying any consoles at launch. I'll probalby only pick up one console next gen, so I want to wait for enough games to be out on all of them to make a good, informed choice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.