DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   OXM demo disk #45 (June) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/422566-oxm-demo-disk-45-june.html)

rubenrod 05-13-05 11:15 PM

OXM demo disk #45 (June)

Did not renew my script in time, so to punish me...they send me Junes issue with out the demo disk!!!! and I am #!%&!!! Because on this month disk there should be:

DEMOS:

Destroy All Humans!!!!
Lego Star Wars
Flatout
Dead to Rights II
Juiced
And
Xbox live arcade

Download:

HALO 2.....Zombies

Features:

Dragon ball Z
Half life 2
SW episode III
Stubbs the zombie

videos:

Fantastic 4

That is all.......

MasterofDVD 05-14-05 12:42 AM

I wasn't too impressed with this demo disc.

Flatout is freaking AWFUL. Had never heard of the game but I thought I'd try it.

Destroy All Humans is certainly a rental.

Lego Star Wars isn't nearly as fun as I had hoped.

Stubbs looks really fun and I can't wait for it.

I do have a question about XBOX Live Arcade. If you ordered the retail disc and put it in your player did it install to the machine? Or do you have to insert the disc to play? I always thought it added a menu option to one of the XBOX screens? I thought maybe when I got the demo disc and selected the Arcade demo it would install something onto my system but I guess I was wrong. Anyway....the Arcade was really cool but 9.99 for some of those games is way too much. There are a few there I would like to own but I'm sure I can find a cheaper/free version or clone elsewhere.

Spiderbite 05-14-05 01:02 AM

Looks like a pretty good disc to me...as far as having games I wanted to try. Hopefully mine will be here in the next day or so.

kar10 05-14-05 08:31 AM

The Demo for Lego star wars was kinda boring.

What happen to dead to rights!?!? This game sucks! I love the first one and I also own it but after playing the demo I see why many reviewers gave that game an avarage of 5 of 10.

everyhting else was boring.

K&AJones 05-14-05 10:45 AM

I give the disc a "so-so" compared to the last last three. None of the demos interest me at this point. The only two on that whole list I'd consider is Half-Life 2 and Fantastic 4. I've played the original Half-Life pc version and the new HL2 for the pc was game of the year. Story line and action was very good so it'll be interesting how it plays on the XBox. I've seen parts of Fantastic 4 and it seems impressive at least. I'd like to hear more on level/story line though. At least you get four characters instead of just one (Spiderman/Batman).

Kenny J.

joseywales 05-14-05 04:29 PM

I agree it was pretty blah kind of disc. I also couldn't find a way to invert "Destroy All Humans" so after a couple of minutes, I got out.

RVP 05-14-05 05:02 PM

Didn't really enjoy any of the demos. What was with the steering in Flatout? It was horrible. And Dead to Rights 2, how that was released and priced above $19.99 doesn't make sence.

Stubbs does look really cool, it has some great new ideas.

rubenrod 05-14-05 08:07 PM

...on the live arcade, the mag says to press the "X" button to play, if you don't have "live" service......

Spiderbite 05-14-05 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by joseywales
I agree it was pretty blah kind of disc. I also couldn't find a way to invert "Destroy All Humans" so after a couple of minutes, I got out.

No one inverts anymore. Get with the times, old man. :p

joseywales 05-14-05 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd

just doing it old school like my PC taught me....

MasterofDVD 05-14-05 10:24 PM

I looked for a way to invert in the game as well and was pretty bummed. That's why it's a rental for me and not a purchase.

xmiyux 05-15-05 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd

Inverted is the only way to go. Invert for life fool!

BeanDip0001 05-15-05 06:40 AM

BeanDip0001 Says "I thought is was O.K."

the disc wasn't as good as the past few, but the destroy all humans game will be one to either rent or pick up when it hits the bargin lot. other than that it didn't seem to be great.

Wompratz 05-15-05 07:23 AM

LOL, thats too funny. "Reverse Invert" is the first option I change in a game like Destroy All Humans, and Dead to Rights 2. My poor brother has a hard time when I play Halo on his XBox then leave :)

kar10 05-15-05 09:09 AM

How can you guys played like that!?

You look up and it goes down / you look down and it goes up! What the hell!

I only do that when I play Crimson Skies or any other airplane game.

If it's first person shooters I have to be able to move the stick up and expect the characters to look up.

xmiyux 05-15-05 11:35 AM

I guess for some reason i always think of the stick as controlling the back of my head. I push up on the stick the back of my head goes up and my eyes look down. Pull down on the back of my neck and my eyes are cast upward. Most likely though it is purely because i got acclimated to it from playing flight sims on the PC which were the only FP perspective games of the day.

Josh H 05-15-05 11:41 AM

Yeah, I need inverted too. It makes no logical sense, but I guess it just comes from all the early FPS's and plane/space games I played having inverted controls.

Hard to adapt to something you've been used to for years.

Spiderbite 05-15-05 12:12 PM

Well, I spent some time on the demo disc last night (took me 3.5 hours to go thru the thing which means they are definitely worth the subscription).

Destroy All Humans: Could be a fun game but the demo was too general & too short. I can see this being a lot of fun if it runs like GTA. I really like the "50's Aliens From Outer Space" theme.

Lego Star Wars: Fun for about 3 minutes. I can't imagine playing an entire game of this. The camera was crap and gameplay was dull.

FlatOut: Trying to be the Burnout of the demolition circuit I guess. The car's controls were way too loose but I loved the damage modeling. Since wrecked cars are part of my profession, I must admit that the damage to them was very realistic (image wise...not driving wise) and the graphics were pretty good. The rag-doll physics of the driver was great. When I had my first big wreck and my driver flew out of the windshield and into a telephone pole, I have to admit I almost cheered. Then the stunt game of shooting him out of the car, measuring his distance and him getting caught in a net/fence was inspired. I actually had some fun with this one...but can it be a decent game if the car handles like shit? Probably not.

Dead To Rights II: The worst demo I have ever played. EVER! Was this demo even tested before it was sent out? Does the released game really play this way? Did any of the programmers actually play a 3rd person perspective game before creating this game? You can't move, you can't aim, the graphics are awful...I could go on and on. I never played the first one but it amazes me that a sequel was made to it if it handled even remotely like this.

Juiced: Good graphics but do we really need another game like this? S.O.S.

Xbox Live Arcade: I actually played all the demos on this one. Some are decent, some are terrible and none are very good. Almost all of them are better-looking ripoffs of older games that you get for free on your computer or can play for free on the internet. Ripoffs of Defender, Breakout, Reverse Tetris, etc. Shouldn't they be worried about lawsuits? And who is going to pay $10 to play Solitaire or Minesweeper? Why pay $15 for 3 Namco games when you can buy the Namco Museum used for 10 bucks or less? The only game I liked in the bunch was something called Zuma but you have to buy it with a block of really crummy games for $20. I think they should make every game around 2 to 3 bucks and let you pick individual games that you might like instead of blocks of games that mostly suck. I would pay $2 for Zuma but nothing more. These are games that my wife or Mom would enjoy playing. 'Nuff said.

As far as the previews go...Half-Life 2 looks like it might be cool and Stubbs the Zombie looks right up my alley. Fantastic Four looks like it could be decent and Revenge of the Sith looks like your standard "hack and slash" Star Wars game. As far as Dragon Ball Z...do people still watch this stuff?

All in all, a good demo disc...for helping me choose what not to buy or rent.

Trigger 05-15-05 01:45 PM

My magazine arrived without a disc also. Is it just me and the OP?

rubenrod 05-15-05 10:43 PM

As I said at the beginning of my post, I did not renew in time...so I called OXM and asked if I could still get the disk(515-248-7682). the rep nicely stated that they did not receive my script in time and that my JUNE issue was free? She then stated that now that they have received my payment, my script w/demo disk would start with the JULY issue. She also told me that I could purchase a demo disk here...1-800-865-7240. I was gonna do it, but I was waiting for "The Forums" commentary about the disk...well, the video game talk family has spoken...and you sir, DEMO DISK 45....have been voted off the island! Your FIRED!! I have no more ROSES to hand out?...This is my final answer!......I'll pass on the disk........

wlj 05-16-05 07:32 AM

this was kind of a crappy demo disc...the only thing interesting was the Half Life 2 video stuff. Destroy All Humans!!! was alright....definitely not as good as it is hyped to be. Dead to Rights 2 is one of the worst games I have ever played...that demo was awful...does the full game actually play like that??? I thought that Flatout had potential, but the car handling was just horrendous.

wlj

DJ_Longfellow 05-16-05 07:37 AM

Wow, a lot of people are nto impressed. I thought Destroy All Humans was a highly anticipated game. I have it on pre-order...but I may cancel it, we'll see after I play the demo.

I was looking forward to FlatOut also...oh well.

njchris 05-16-05 09:41 AM

I seem to be the only one that really enjoyed the Destoy all Humans demo. :)

BeanDip0001 05-16-05 05:24 PM

i thought it was cool, but not worth more than 10 or 20 dollars