Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Best game(s) in the stealth genre?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-05, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best game(s) in the stealth genre?

I was wondering, what you guys thought is the best game(s) based on stealth? There are quite a few notables - Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, Tenchu, Hitman, Thief and probably many more - but what game or indeed games implement stealth the best in your opinion?
Old 05-08-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Pandora Tomorrow are my two favorites. I like the original but the two sequels are better because the developers learned a lot from the first one. I like it because of it's "realism". I like Metal Gear also but it's stories sometimes are just so out there it makes me uninterested because I tend to like stealth games to be as close to real life as possible.

Some didn't really like Thief on the Xbox but I did. It was not as good as Splinter Cell but it was a solid game. Tenchu was really fun on the playstation 1 but I haven't really tried the series on ps2 or xbox. I think I am going to try that one out since it's probably pretty cheap by now.
Old 05-08-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
The Splinter Cell games and MGS 3 are clearly the best in this genre.
Old 05-08-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
The Thief series was the first and is still the best stealth game in my opinion.
Old 05-08-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thief 1 (PC) is my favorite stealth game.
Old 05-08-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also agree with Thief on the PC being the best of the entire genre.
Old 05-08-05, 06:13 PM
Retired

I don't like stealth games much in general. Too much trial and error and doing things over and over and over after getting caught for my tastes.

That said, I do enjoy the Metal Gear Solid games. The stories keep me playing through frustration and the radar takes some of the guess work and trial and error out of the game making it a little more tolerable.
Old 05-08-05, 06:40 PM

I'd say Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory excels the most as a stealth game. I enjoyed it the most out of any other game in the genre, especially after it removed much of my frustration by allowing you to save at any point in the game. Of course a lot of games are trial and error but Ubisoft was able to set the AI up to give you some room. No more 3 alarms and you lose. Every alarm you pick up adds a new level of difficulty to the AI soldiers. Not only that but the knife and knock-out moves give you a lot of freedom surprisingly. If you're noticed, you're not immediatel screwed over. You can just knock out or stab the soldier before he alerts the rest.
Old 05-08-05, 10:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
The Thief series was the first and is still the best stealth game in my opinion.

The Thief series is awesome. It is one of my favorite series of all time. I still play the first two PC Thief games quite frequently. The third Thief game is good but not as good as the first two. It was "dumbed" down for the console market.