Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What do I need for X-Box Live?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do I need for X-Box Live?

Obviously I need the online kit.

I see it is around $39.99 for a 3 month trial.

OR free if you get the bestbuy special.

1. How much is it to renew the subscription?

2. I have a wireless network at my house for broadband. Do I HAVE to be the X-Box wireless adapter, or can I just get a generic wireless adapter?

- Will a USB Wireless Adapter work in the back of the X-Box?
Old 04-29-05, 09:51 AM

An Xbox?
Old 04-29-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Phineas444
An Xbox?
wise ass

YES, I will have one of those as well
Old 04-29-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sominex
Obviously I need the online kit.

I see it is around $39.99 for a 3 month trial.

OR free if you get the bestbuy special.

1. How much is it to renew the subscription?
$5.99 a month, $49.00 a year, or just buy another 3 month or 12 month trial.

2. I have a wireless network at my house for broadband. Do I HAVE to be the X-Box wireless adapter, or can I just get a generic wireless adapter?
generic ethernet to wireless adapter should be fine.

- Will a USB Wireless Adapter work in the back of the X-Box?
nope.
Old 04-29-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A 14-year-old's vocabulary.
Old 04-29-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A strong tolerance for juvenile swearing and 13-year-olds in general.
Old 04-29-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket

Is it that bad with all the kids using the thing?

So, how can I get it on my wireless network at home?

What kind of netowrking/USB ports does it have?
Old 04-29-05, 12:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

You need a wireless bridge to connect it to your Xbox. It has an ethernet port but not a USB port.
Old 04-29-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sominex
Is it that bad with all the kids using the thing?

So, how can I get it on my wireless network at home?

What kind of netowrking/USB ports does it have?
It will cost you $50-$100 for a wireless game adapter ($50 being on ebay). Microsoft no longer makes one but both D-link and Linksys do. I chose to forgo this option and have my Xbox Live dedicated to one room. I hooked my cable modem and wireles router up behind my tv in the family room. The Xbox is wired to the router. There are no USB ports, just one ethernet port.
Old 04-29-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't forget a credit card... even with the 3 month "free subscription" or whatever you "buy" from the store, you still have to fill in your credit card info.
Old 04-29-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
You need a wireless bridge to connect it to your Xbox. It has an ethernet port but not a USB port.

Maybe I'll just try and buy one of the Microsoft X-Box Wireless adapters on Ebay. Thanks for the input.

Bestbuy has them for $85. That's a little too steep for me though

Anyone use the wireless controllers? Can I use the 'Live' headsets with these? And do they sell them with the rumble?

Last edited by Sominex; 04-29-05 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-29-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
To be fair i think this depends on the games you play and building up a good friends list. If i play Phantom Dust online i get far fewer asses than something a little more agressive like Halo 2. Also if you build up a decent buddy list even things like Halo 2 can be civil in custom games. Well unless you are driving the hog poorly and TJ is in it
Old 04-30-05, 09:09 AM

I got on Halo 2 this past week after a 2 month absence due to being burned out on it, not to mention the morons that frequent it. Well, after downloading the updates and the new maps (2 I WON'T be buying since I won't actually "Own" them), I am already sick of the pre teen and teens whose vocabulary seems to stop beyond the following words: Retard, the "N" word (over and over), mother f&$%er, whore, slut, etc.

Last night I played with one little guy who ran around a level yelling "PEPTO BISMOL!!!" over and over. His parents must be VERY proud, then again the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Then later I jumped into a game that a pal on my friends list was in. Two nanoseconds into entering the lobby I was confronted with "YOU STUPID C$&@ sucker!!" and "GET THE $%@! OUT OF HERE YOU (Insert "N" word here) F!$% face" turns out I didn't have all the new maps.

Personally, I am strongly reconsidering NOT resubscribing to Live next year.

But there was a very good point made, ever since Halo 2 arrived, Live has become an infestation of 13 year old kids that talk worse than a salty sailor who licked mold from the Mary Celeste. If I said even 1/4 the words the kids say these days when I was their age, I probably wouldn't be alive to type this. Then again, I didn't even have the capacity in my vocabulary to say much less use them.
Old 04-30-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was going to post a question in my own thread but i thought this slightly applied so i would use this one. I'm using an old 2 port linkseys 10/100 router someone gave me and i 'm wondering if it could be contributing in any way to some of the lag i get on Live. Unfortunately i know nothing about networking stuff (this is why someone gave me the router i didn't even know what i needed) but i am using Verizon DSL and according to the online tests have a pretty good connection. Now granted, i am in WV so it is possible i just have shitty service due to there being only one DSL company and one Cable company but i wanted to rule out my router....

Any ideas?
Old 05-01-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hail2dking
It will cost you $50-$100 for a wireless game adapter ($50 being on ebay). Microsoft no longer makes one but both D-link and Linksys do. I chose to forgo this option and have my Xbox Live dedicated to one room. I hooked my cable modem and wireles router up behind my tv in the family room. The Xbox is wired to the router. There are no USB ports, just one ethernet port.
microsoft does make one, but instead of b only now it is g and b.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801748

the only good thing about the microsoft bridge is that the xbox will know it is there and configure it for you. on most other brands you will have to plug it into your pc configure then plug into the xbox and finish out. if you have WPA or WEP on etc. if you let people steal your bandwidth then you could probably just plug it in. i have a netgear and have never had a loss of connection. have fun setting everything up it really isn't too bad just a half hour of time.

Last edited by BeanDip0001; 05-01-05 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-01-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I was going to post a question in my own thread but i thought this slightly applied so i would use this one. I'm using an old 2 port linkseys 10/100 router someone gave me and i 'm wondering if it could be contributing in any way to some of the lag i get on Live. Unfortunately i know nothing about networking stuff (this is why someone gave me the router i didn't even know what i needed) but i am using Verizon DSL and according to the online tests have a pretty good connection. Now granted, i am in WV so it is possible i just have shitty service due to there being only one DSL company and one Cable company but i wanted to rule out my router....

Any ideas?
You’re right your connection is SHIT!!!! Man I tell ya those games I played with you everyone had green bars and you didn't have any or it was red. And yes your home network may be the cause. If the main connection is okay, which ever DSL you get gold, bronze, etc you shouldn't be in the red on XBox live. I mean man I had torrent files going along with some game demo downloads and I was still in the green.

Another thing that might be slowing your connection down is your computer has a back door open at all times. Or your computer or XBox has a bad network adapter. This would cause a broadcast packet storm. think of it as 100 12 year olds on live trying to talk shit to just you all at the same time. It isn't good on the network and SLOWS everything down. There are some simple tests you can do to see if your LAN is crap or not.

Enter your router config and make sure the settings are set correct, at the same time have the network config on your XBox open. POST the results here or better yet post screen shots off your PC so I can see what options you've got for set up and I'll help you out the best I can from here.

Or post them in the HALO 2 thread either way I'll try my best to help you.
Old 05-01-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wompratz
I got on Halo 2 this past week after a 2 month absence due to being burned out on it, not to mention the morons that frequent it. Well, after downloading the updates and the new maps (2 I WON'T be buying since I won't actually "Own" them), I am already sick of the pre teen and teens whose vocabulary seems to stop beyond the following words: Retard, the "N" word (over and over), mother f&$%er, whore, slut, etc.

Last night I played with one little guy who ran around a level yelling "PEPTO BISMOL!!!" over and over. His parents must be VERY proud, then again the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Then later I jumped into a game that a pal on my friends list was in. Two nanoseconds into entering the lobby I was confronted with "YOU STUPID C$&@ sucker!!" and "GET THE $%@! OUT OF HERE YOU (Insert "N" word here) F!$% face" turns out I didn't have all the new maps.

Personally, I am strongly reconsidering NOT resubscribing to Live next year.

But there was a very good point made, ever since Halo 2 arrived, Live has become an infestation of 13 year old kids that talk worse than a salty sailor who licked mold from the Mary Celeste. If I said even 1/4 the words the kids say these days when I was their age, I probably wouldn't be alive to type this. Then again, I didn't even have the capacity in my vocabulary to say much less use them.
I called Microsoft and complained when my sub was due for renewing about all this and they gave me free games to renew. And a couple months free on my one account. I still think they need to find some way to put the adult gamers and the little bastards on different networks. I can't stand playing games with kids. I mean really do I look like Mr. Jackson to you.
Old 05-08-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK

Quick qustion about the headset

When I join a Halo 2 game, I start talking into the Mic.

At first a few people say they hear me, and respond

The green light on the controller adapter is always ON by the way

Then I keep talking, but no one seems to hear me, and I don't hear ANYONE else talking.

Just coincidence or is something wrong with my mic?

I bought a bunch of stuff from someone on Ebay, so I want to verify before I leave him feedback
Old 05-08-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
I called Microsoft and complained when my sub was due for renewing about all this and they gave me free games to renew. And a couple months free on my one account. I still think they need to find some way to put the adult gamers and the little bastards on different networks. I can't stand playing games with kids. I mean really do I look like Mr. Jackson to you.

What games did they give you?
Old 05-09-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bump
Old 05-10-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You’re right your connection is SHIT!!!! Man I tell ya those games I played with you everyone had green bars and you didn't have any or it was red. And yes your home network may be the cause. If the main connection is okay, which ever DSL you get gold, bronze, etc you shouldn't be in the red on XBox live. I mean man I had torrent files going along with some game demo downloads and I was still in the green.
This evening i discovered one opf my problems. I was contacting Verizon to see if they had a faster package i could upgrade to and i was informed that even though i was on the 1.5 meg package they had me capped at 768k up and 128k down. Within 3 to 5 business days they will have me fully upgraded to 1.5 megs down and 384k up. Hopefully this will clear up the majority of my lag issues.... mostly because i can't get 3 megs down in my area on DSL and cable is hella more expensive.
Old 05-10-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
This evening i discovered one opf my problems. I was contacting Verizon to see if they had a faster package i could upgrade to and i was informed that even though i was on the 1.5 meg package they had me capped at 768k up and 128k down. Within 3 to 5 business days they will have me fully upgraded to 1.5 megs down and 384k up. Hopefully this will clear up the majority of my lag issues.... mostly because i can't get 3 megs down in my area on DSL and cable is hella more expensive.
awesome! i'd still make sure your router is up to date with the firmware. and make sure to either foward the live ports or turn on UPnP. if your router doesn't have it or you don't have the live ports open that could be why you have bad lag also.
Old 05-10-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

awesome! i'd still make sure your router is up to date with the firmware. and make sure to either foward the live ports or turn on UPnP. if your router doesn't have it or you don't have the live ports open that could be why you have bad lag also.
Just in case you are curious, i have no bloody clue what you are talking about here. I have a liberal arts degree... i can't actually do hardware software shit... i can just wax philosophic about its implications.