Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

5th game ever to get 40/40 in Famitsu is...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned by vd0man in the upcoming DS game thread, I thought this news deserves its own thread. It's not every day a game gets 40/40 in Famitsu. I'm told by Pixy this only handheld game ever to get the distinction.

April 26, 2005

by: Chris Playo

Thats right, Nintendo's latest DS venture receives a perfect score from the prestigious Japanese magazine Famitsu.
This weeks edition of Famitsu, a highly regarded Japanese gaming publication, brought with it exciting news for fans of the DS. Nintendo's first party simulation title, Nintendogs was given a perfect score, 40 out of 40 from the typically conservative magazine. The list of games given an overall score of 40 is comprised of some of the most regarded games in history. The DS title joins the likes of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Vagrant Story, and Soul Calibur.

It should be interesting to see how the American public reacts to this game. The game has already proven to be a huge hit in Japan, as the title ranked among the top selling games of the past week. Nintendo is indeed planning on releasing the game in North America, but it has not yet been revealed how it will be altered. Most likely the company will offer the title in three different iterations covering popular American canines. It is hard to imagine this title reaching American shores without a version including a Golden Retriever. Check below for the latest scores from Famitsu:

Nintendogs (NDS, Nintendo): 10 / 10 / 10 / 10 - (40/40)

Forza Motorsport (Xbox, Microsoft): 8 / 7 / 7 / 9 - (31/40)

Eien no Aseria: Kono Daichi no Hate de (PS2, Nippon Ichi): 7 / 6 / 6 / 6 - (25/40)

Magical Tale: Chitchana Mahoutsukai (PS2, Princess Soft): 6 / 6 / 6 / 5 - (23/40)

As some of you know from other threads I have been on the fence about the DS, but was highly looking forward to seeing Nintendogs in action. Well, I think this makes up my mind, now I just need to make some money. (damn grad school).
Old 04-27-05, 09:30 AM
Banned

I'm curious to know what the other games are that Famitsu gave perfect scores to.

Edit:

Soul Caliber
Zelda 64
Wind Walker
Vagrant Story

Edit: I can't read.

Last edited by joshd2012; 04-27-05 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-27-05, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by joshd2012
I'm curious to know what the other games are that Famitsu gave perfect scores to.

Edit:

Soul Caliber
Zelda 64
Wind Walker
and Vagrant Story by Square. (Says them in the article.. )
Old 04-27-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Soul Calibur
Vagrant Story
Zelda: Wind Waker
Nintendogs

This is pretty big, at least in Japan. Famitsu is a really well respected magazine.
Old 04-27-05, 10:24 AM
Banned

Just for S&G, here are the scores GameSpot gave the other four games:

Zelda: OoT - 10
Soul Caliber - 10
Zelda: WW - 9.3
Vagrant Story - 9.6

They also had Tony Hawk 3 and Chrono Cross as perfect scores.

Last edited by joshd2012; 04-27-05 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-27-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, I know everyone is entitled to an individual opinion, but rating Chrono Cross above Vagrant Story is absurd.. and giving it a perfect score even. Isn't this the game where the character's personalities were defined only by different speech impediments?
Old 04-27-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
What the heck is Nintendogs? Is it a dog simulator? What is a 'party simulator'? Do you walk around and have your dog on your DS try to meet other people's dogs?
Old 04-27-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Okay, I know everyone is entitled to an individual opinion, but rating Chrono Cross above Vagrant Story is absurd.. and giving it a perfect score even. Isn't this the game where the character's personalities were defined only by different speech impediments?
It's probably not fair to compare the review scores unless they were done by the same person. Which is the inherent flaw in all reviews, and why you should read them.

Still, interesting (but not all too surprising) that 4 out of 5 of the perfect games are Nintendo games. Anyone know what Mario 64 got in Famitsu?

and while I loved Vagrant Story, I still think the battle system was fundamentally flawed and took away from the game. It was fun at first, but that dumb "risk" system or whatever it was made it tedious. Hard to believe they gave it a perfect score. Or maybe I just stink at the game...
Old 04-27-05, 11:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
What the heck is Nintendogs? Is it a dog simulator? What is a 'party simulator'? Do you walk around and have your dog on your DS try to meet other people's dogs?
I was wondering this myself. Looks like a run-of-the-mill "virtual pet" type game from the screenshots. What makes it so special as opposed to the zillion other Tamagochi clones?
Old 04-27-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Still, interesting (but not all too surprising) that 4 out of 5 of the perfect games are Nintendo games. Anyone know what Mario 64 got in Famitsu?
3 out of 5, actually.. but still not surprising at all.
Old 04-27-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
I was wondering this myself. Looks like a run-of-the-mill "virtual pet" type game from the screenshots. What makes it so special as opposed to the zillion other Tamagochi clones?
IGN's feature on Nintendogs is up on the DS page. It's pretty informative. The canine AI seems pretty advanced.
Old 04-27-05, 11:14 AM
Banned

39/40
Old 04-27-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think many of us suspected that this game would be pretty good, but it looks like Nintendo really pulled out all the stops to give the dogs advanced AI and make the game fun and addictive to play.

Guess this one is a must buy and I will end up buying two copies since this is also high on my wife's wish list.
Old 04-27-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I think many of us suspected that this game would be pretty good, but it looks like Nintendo really pulled out all the stops to give the dogs advanced AI and make the game fun and addictive to play.

Guess this one is a must buy and I will end up buying two copies since this is also high on my wife's wish list.
Isn't this one of those games (like Pokemon) where there are actually three separate copies of the game, that have different kinds of dogs?
Old 04-27-05, 12:14 PM

Isn't this one of those games (like Pokemon) where there are actually three separate copies of the game, that have different kinds of dogs?
Yeah, there are three versions but all have the same dogs in it, just different one available at the begining. There are currently 15 types, 5 are available when you start depending what game you get.

The game uses the stylus pretty well, (check videos on IGN) the dog learns its name and commands. Actually learns, no preset words. So you could have the word "Cupcake" mean laydown etc. This is done through the microphone obviously. And it has been reported that different people voices will still allow the dog to respond, however it "knows" its master voice best.
Old 04-27-05, 12:19 PM
Banned

Will it be like 'Blank and White' where I can beat the crap out of my dog and it will become real mean and eat everyone else/other people's dogs?
Old 04-27-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joshd2012
Will it be like 'Blank and White' where I can beat the crap out of my dog and it will become real mean and eat everyone else/other people's dogs?
If Peter Molyneux designed the game not only could your dog be evil, but it could be gay as well. Of course the game wouldn't be out till 2007 with most of the key features missing.
Old 04-27-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If Peter Molyneux designed the game not only could your dog be evil, but it could be gay as well. Of course the game wouldn't be out till 2007 with most of the key features missing.
Old 04-27-05, 01:06 PM
Banned

I would wait to 2007 if I was garanteed:

1) I can make my dog extremely large and cruel.
2) I link up wirelessly and have my dog eat your dog and crap on your lawn.

You hear me Nintendo? I will purchase your DS when you make this game.
Old 04-27-05, 01:07 PM
Retired

Does every game have to have some kind of violence to be fun?
Old 04-27-05, 01:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Does every game have to have some kind of violence to be fun?
Yes.
Old 04-27-05, 01:41 PM
Mod Emeritus

I already have pets. I don't get why I would rather want to play with imaginary pets on a DS instead of just playing with my real life pets. This seems cultural to me as I'm sure a lot of people in Japan cannot own pets because they live in an apartment.
Old 04-27-05, 01:58 PM
Retired

I've never got the appeal of virtual pet games either (or any sims type games in general).

But they're huge in Japan and a few have done pretty well here. I guess with Nintendo's younger demographic it will appeal to kids here who's parents won't let them have pets, and people living in apartments etc.
Old 04-27-05, 02:02 PM
Banned

The best selling series of games is the Sims. People would rather pretend to do things rather than actual do it.
Old 04-27-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe the tag line could be "All the fun of owning a dog without the poop!" Okay, maybe not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.