Reload this Page >

Polarium: Tetris on Steriods?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-15-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came across this game today I've never heard of called Polarium. It has a puzzle mode which in fine and dandy, but the versus and attack modes looks like serious amount of fun. Is anyone else heard about this game before or looking forward to it? Click the first "box" to watch a video that demo's the modes. (Broadband only)
Old 04-15-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

never heard of it, but i don't keep track of anything the big N does. i feel their games are't bloody enough for me. anyhow that thing looks cool i watched the video and the one of the dog thing where you've got a virtual dog that looked fun.
Old 04-15-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I prepaid for it months ago as soon as it went up for preorder. Can't wait for it to come out. The screens and videos I have seen so far look pretty cool.
Old 04-15-05, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
I prepaid for it months ago as soon as it went up for preorder. Can't wait for it to come out. The screens and videos I have seen so far look pretty cool.

I thought of you when I saw it actually, I recalled how excited you get about Bejewled and thought you might like it.
Old 04-16-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bejewled is awesome, i had that for my palm. talk about wasting time in class or at work.
Old 04-16-05, 03:08 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't get the hype over Bejeweled.

I like Tetris Attack (and it's offshoots) much better.

I like the faster pace (with having to keep the blocks from reaching the top of the screen) and being able to horizontally swap any two blocks rather than only ones that are instantly completing a 3+ pattern. Adds a lot more strategy.
Old 04-16-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I imported this a while ago, as it's been out in Japan for a while. There it's called Chokkan Hitofude, and for a while was listed in the US as One Line Puzzle. The main part of the game is Challenge mode which has 100 puzzles for you to work through. The cool thing is you can add puzzles to it, by typing in codes, so people can design them and share them with others. There were already some on Nintendo's Japanese site, and you can find more on GameFaqs. The timed mode where the puzzles fall from the top continuiously and you just keep clearing as much as you can is okay I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.
Old 04-16-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I don't get the hype over Bejeweled.

I like Tetris Attack (and it's offshoots) much better.

I like the faster pace (with having to keep the blocks from reaching the top of the screen) and being able to horizontally swap any two blocks rather than only ones that are instantly completing a 3+ pattern. Adds a lot more strategy.
I loved Tetris Attack and Kirby Star Stacker. Never really a big fan of the standard Tetris falling tile games in general, but Polarium puts a nice twist on the puzzle genre that looks fun and unique. I may pass on Meteos though. I never could get Lumines down as well as I liked and lost interest in it after a few weeks, Meteos is another Tetris type game and I may end up not liking it.

My favorite modes on most puzzle games are the "puzzle modes" and Polarium looks to really shine in that area. Even with Lumines I spent most of my time beating the puzzle mode.
Old 04-16-05, 08:26 PM

If you guys like puzzle games you might want to check out Toki Toki Boom over at yahoo games, under arcade games. It's kind of a hidden gem, my friend got me playing it. Its a really fun multiplayer puzzler. Good to kill some time.
Old 04-18-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The reviews so far are pretty mediocre. Gamespot gave it a 6.9, IGN gave it a 7.8, and 1up gave it 7.5.

Reading into the details of the reviews though convince me this is exactly the kind of game I'm going to enjoy. However, it doesn't have big seller written on it at all. It will be another in a long line of quirky games I love, but no one else I talk to will have ever heard of.

The real meat of the game, however, is the Puzzle Mode. Unlike the Challenge variant, Puzzle features no timer, no stress, nothing but sheer devious mental tests of escalating difficulty. Polarium offers 100 pre-defined puzzles which are unlocked in sets of ten. You can choose to tackle any available puzzle in any order, but to unlock the next round every single entry must be completed, and some of them are genuine stumpers. Two levels of help are available, and even then some of them can take 10 or 15 minutes to complete.
Old 04-18-05, 08:32 PM

The feature of making your own puzzles and posting the codes online is cool for sure. Only thing I worry about is if people can make a puzzle that can't be solved and still share the code. That would suck...
Old 04-18-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
The feature of making your own puzzles and posting the codes online is cool for sure. Only thing I worry about is if people can make a puzzle that can't be solved and still share the code. That would suck...
I think you have to be able to solve it to create it and get a code for it.
Old 04-19-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought of you when I saw it actually, I recalled how excited you get about Bejewled and thought you might like it.
Aahhhh...how sweet.

Polarium looks cool.
It reminds me of my favorite spin-off of the original Tetris game. It's a game on the SNES which was available only in Japan. In this game, the blocks falling from the top are shaped exactly like those in Tetris but some of the blocks will have 1 or more magic orbs in them which are used to accumulate spell points. You select a Hero from a list of about 7 or so. Each Hero has their own special group of spells that you could use to either help your stack of blocks clear-away or interfere with your opponent's stack to make it harder for him/her to clear-away. The spells consisted of four different levels, the fourth being the most devastating.
The Heros were strange: A ninja, a princess, a pumpkin, 6 Mariachi midgets, a Samurai Wolf, a rabbit, and maybe 1 or 2 others which I can't recall. A very unlikely bunch indeed, but the best part was watching each of the Heros perform the spell. The game was completely in Japanese but you didn't have to read any of it to understand/enjoy the actual gameplay.
Old 04-19-05, 01:26 PM

I think you have to be able to solve it to create it and get a code for it.
Just curious, do you read this somewhere or are you conjecting?
Old 04-19-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just curious, do you read this somewhere or are you conjecting?
In the IGN review.
What's really slick about this mode is the ability to create and save your own puzzle creations to cartridge. The game makes sure that any design can be solved by challenging the creators to solve it themselves; once it's successful, players can convert that puzzle into an extensive, numerical password so that buddies can pull that puzzle up on their own cartridge. Of course, those puzzles can also be transmitted to anyone's cart provided they're within local wireless range. It's this option that really extends Polarium's staying power.
Old 04-19-05, 03:45 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Simple but fun

Polarium reminds me a bit of Picross with it's simple, graphically sparse, but ultimately intriguing puzzle action.

I am looking forward to Meteos, however. It reminds me of those great hyper puzzlers like Kirby's Star Stacker and Tetris Attack.
Old 04-19-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If only Nintendo would release a new Picross game.
Old 04-19-05, 03:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

If only Nintendo would release a new Picross game.
T'would be perfect for the DS, but not going to happen given the abyssmal sales of the one and only Picross title to cross the Pacific.
Old 04-19-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hrothgar
T'would be perfect for the DS, but not going to happen given the abyssmal sales of the one and only Picross title to cross the Pacific.
I'd be happy with them releasing it in Japan. I'll be more than happy to import it.
Old 04-19-05, 05:52 PM

I've never played the game you speak of, but it seems to me if Nintendo is willing to give Polarium a go, they might consider giving it a try.
Old 06-21-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,058 Likes on 641 Posts
I saw this game new at ToysRUs for 10 bucks today and was curious if anyone had played it here. Even with all the posts in this thread it looks like very few actually played it (and many posts were around the time it first came out).

Any opinions since the game has now been out for some time?
Old 06-21-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts
I picked it up for $7.50 at Target a couple weeks ago. Haven't gotten into it too much. Mario, Magnetica & Brain Age are eating up my time.
Old 06-21-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I could find it for 10.00 I'd certainly take the plunge. I've played the game on the demo kiosks and it's not the best game ever but it seemed pretty fun. I've been waiting for it to come down in price before I pick it up.
Old 06-21-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Everytime I look at games, I always get confused by Polarium, Magnetica, Meteos, etc. They all look the same to me and I know one or more of them are pretty bad, so I never end up getting one.
Old 06-21-06, 02:05 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Bus
Everytime I look at games, I always get confused by Polarium, Magnetica, Meteos, etc. They all look the same to me and I know one or more of them are pretty bad, so I never end up getting one.

Meteos is very good. Though I think overhyped by some as it still doesn't touch Tetris Attack IMO.

Haven't played the others.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.