Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

DVD Talk Unreal Championship 2 Pre Party

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-05, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Talk Unreal Championship 2 Pre Party

okay, i can't wait till this games comes out. i have the demo and it is a freaking blast. is anyone else going to get this game when it ships? we can all post our tags here so we have live friends for this one too.
Old 03-17-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Umm yeah this game is a blast I believe Kenny J (Buzz) can attest to that as well..........................DVDtalk UC2 Clan anyone??

It takes a little getting used to going from first person to third person but after you figure that out it's just awesome. I have to admit I've become a bit of a melee whore though.
Old 03-17-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where do I get the demo? And, when does the final version release?
Old 03-17-05, 10:42 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein

They have a demo on last month's OXM disc. Just played it once....looks great.

wlj
Old 03-17-05, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by edstein
Full version release date is April 18th I believe, check it out man it's cool as shit.
Old 03-17-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

they have oxm at wallmart, and kmart, target, along with all the big book stores. it is $9.99US for one magazine with the disc. the splintercell demo is cool as well, you can kill people and not get in trouble for it.
Old 03-17-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
It's about damm time someone started this. I was getting tired of dropping hints (posts) about this game without sounding too bias. Sorry but I've been an "Unreal" fan for a long time. I practically wore out my hard drive playing this every night. I've got the "Unreal Tournament" with a whoppin 600mb of space needed. God knows how many maps, mutators, skins and voice packs kept me playing this game.

Ok everyone knows about the offical web site right? Great site for lots of info and whatever (???'s) you have hit the forum first because it's probably been asked and answered. Also hit http://www.gamespot.com because they have some of the latest screen shots. Plus they have a very good preview.

http://www.unrealchampionship2.com

Second for those constantly crying not enough maps in Halo UC2 has --40--yes that's correct--maps. These arn't no sissy maps either. I've found myself just walking around and gazing at the small details. The level designers went all out and amazing is an understatment. So this is what the XBox can do?

Third is a neat little twist to bot play is you'll be able to pick which bots to play with and against. You can't pick weapons but there is the "melee only" option. Do not underestimate single play mode. These bots are fairly tough. In fact give me about (5) Lauren bots and I'll clean out any Halo map in sniper mode. Just like in previous Unreal games you have to climb the tournament ladder to unlock players and maps. Which by the way Epic is said to be working on for downloads in the future.

I think there will be allot of interest in UC2. Mainly for online play but single player will still be a challenge. Hopefully we can get enough folks here to join. Put your gamertag on the dotted line and prepare for battle!

Kenny J. - Buzz 'Saw' Starhopper
Old 03-18-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

its going to be hard to see which game kicks more ass, unreal 2 or the new splinter cell. i'm sure unreal 2 will in multiplayer, but both of them look to be awesome and in splinter cell you finially get to kill people whenever you want to!!!
Old 03-27-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those who haven't been to the offical site in awhile it's worth a revist. They finally got screen shots of several maps and their names adding more to the "Wow" factor. They also have some video of a couple of other characters in action. There's a new 30 sec. video clip of Anubis of testing weapons at an indoor firing range. And for those helpless souls without a XBox you can download your choice of several wallpapers and wish away. Almost three weeks away from "Finish Him!!".

Kenny J. - Buzz Starhopper
Old 03-27-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm. I have mixed feelings about this.

I've been a fan of the series since the first Unreal - I remember playing through those levels, like HealPod, thousands of times. I've closely followed it through the amazing Unreal Tournament, the rather weak UT2003, and the excellent UT2004.

But this... I dunno. I play the Unreal games because they're an incredible FPS experience. It looks like they've kind of blurred it by merging it with Mortal Kombat - both in spirit and with specific characters from the MK series. Switching between these modes of gameplay might make for a confusing game experience.

I really hope they pull it off - and I have faith in their inventive capabilities to do it well - but there's a good chance it will flop.

- David Stein
Old 03-27-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Way back when Quake and Unreal ruled the FPS universe I chose Unreal Tournament and haven't looked back. The mods, voice packs, mutators and maps kept the level of interest high. The highly anticiapted UT2003 just didn't have the same feel despite the improved visuals. Our pc isn't up to the task of the latest.

This version is however different for the fact it was written from ground floor up for the XBox only. For years Unreal fans have have asked for some type of hand-to-hand combat and now it's here. For that element alone adds another level of combat thinking. No longer just move, aim and fire. It's aim, fire, charge, block, melee, jump, shoot, deflect and fire. Concerning the maps and characters I've said it's like taking the core of Unreal Tournament then mix in some 'Stargate', add a little Mortal Kombat with a touch of X-Men like comicbook characters and you have "UC2". If you have any doubt about the game check the forums at the offical site. If that's not enough the live demo is number (16) on the XBox Live popular titles list. Mark it down this game will be in the top (5) XBox games this year.

Kenny J. - Buzz
Old 03-28-05, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like this game a lot and you can tell the people who aren't used to the unreal world while playing online. I think this game is going to be one of those buy the game and XBox at the same time for the PC unreal fans since this is really UT2005. Same as Halo 2. More than half the sales of that game were with new XBoxes since it wasn't going to be on PC. I have a very powerful PC, but I really love the fact that a few of the most popular games aren't going to be on PC and instead on XBox so all the keyboard and mouse lovers are crying tears of envy.

If anyone has the demo we should set up some time to play this week.
Old 03-28-05, 04:28 PM

I would be game to get in on the Unreal Championship 2 pre play thing. This demo was the first game I played on Xbox live, and I loved it. I cannot wait for this to come out. I just picked up Halo 2, and I connected to Live once on it, but I'm way too much of a newbie to pick up and go on that... I'll have to practice. But UC2 I just ran with it, and had a blast.

So yea, to sum it up, I am definitely game on this one!
Old 03-28-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buzz, how about a quick run-down on this game for those of us still hooked on Halo2. There are MK characters in the game? WTF?

I've never played any Unreal. Why is it worth purchasing in addition to Halo?
Old 03-28-05, 07:09 PM

I'm in.

Right now I'm obsessed with making maps for Future Perfect, but I'd be happy to jump into some UC2 games.
Old 03-28-05, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by DamingR
It's a very different game style. Whereas Halo and Halo 2 are a bit slower paced and more calculated, Unreal is about fast fast fast action. Unlike Halo, you have power boosters (adrenaline) and other types of power ups, plus, the weaponry is pretty exaggerated (but in a fun way). In UC2 for Xbox, you can now switch between first and third person mode, and you can do acrobatics in game to avoid attacks. With your melee weapons, you can deflect incoming projectiles, and if your'e good enough, send 'em straight back to the sender.

I actually just picked up Unreal Tourney 2004 for PC just to get practiced up on Unreal champ.
Old 03-28-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[CENTER]
Originally Posted by DamingR
Buzz, how about a quick run-down on this game for those of us still hooked on Halo2. There are MK characters in the game? WTF?

I've noticed on the UC2 forums there's allot of interest from what I call "Unreal Newcomers". They're interested but don't know the history or about the "Quake/Unreal Universe" as I call it. Mention Quake or Unreal to some Xbox gamers and they say "what's that?". Well lets get to it...

As mentioned this Unreal was built specifically for the XBox. No pc, no PS2, No Apple, no GC. Just for us XBoxer's! Objective - kill or be killed. You stay alive and/or teamates stay alive and end up with the most kills. The core of gameplay isn't that much different from from Halo. Each has single player, team play and CTF. Halo has a story line and so does UC2. But....

....................( Halo 2 )...................( Unreal Championship 2)
Maps..................(12?)...............................(40)
Characters .......(One-two)...........................(15)
Melee............. (Butt of Gun............(Power staffs,energy swords, bot
...................Energy Sword)..........hammers, armored fists, poison blades)
Sniper.................(Yes)...............................(Yes)
Rocket Launcher...(Yes-single)..........(Yes-single.two or three at once)
Grenade..............(Yes)..............(Grenade and Mines (remote) Launcher)
Shotgun..............(Yes)...........(Ripjack-ricocheting saw blades/expolsives)
Vehicle................(Yes)........................(Not at this time)
Energy Rifle.....(Plasma Rifle).............( High Volage Shock Rifle)
Rifle...................(BR55).......................(Liandri Rivet Gun)
Machine Gun......(M7 SMG).......(Stinger-mining tool fires shards of crystal)
Mutators..............(Yes)................................(Yes)
Bots....................(No)..................................(Yes)
While online is the jewel of UC2 don't overlook single play. There's story driven "Ascensions Rites", tournament ladders for each character, and challenge mode. Half the characters need to be unlooked thru the tournament mode. There's different combat situations in both tournament and challenge modes so it will not be the same for every character you play. The bots can be tough so don't be fooled. The great thing here is you can choose which bots to play. You can't choose their weapons. Say a whole team of 'Anubis' bots against a team of 'Jugernaut' bots.

The added feature of "melee" combat with arena style shooting is the big prize here. In close quarters , and there's plenty, with a push of a button you go from shooting to meleeing. But there's more. You also have a shield and the ability to deflect a shot back for a kill if timed right. Then there's the host of super adrenaline powers like speed, jump, shield, energy, heal, and spirit to cycle thru. No more boring shoot-em-ups here. You also have either 1st or 3rd person view to choose from. One mutator worth looking at is the "melee only" play. No guns here just smack'em!!

No Unreal game would be "Unreal" without some pretty outstanding level design and visuals. The people at Epic went way beyond the call this time. Like I said (40) levels and not just ordinary ones at that. Put these on a plasma tv and you'll swear there's a Pent.4, 500mb ram and a $400 video card in that XBox. I had to check mine to make sure it wasn't smoking and on fire. Instead of jumping in and killing each other you feel like just walking around for a tour. Can I say..."Stargate-SG1". Even the bad guys there would be jealous.

There are (14) main characters which come from (6) races with one special locked one character.They are as follows...
The Nakhti..Race that looks like ancient Egypt that's solid, balanced all around
The Juggernauts.. Race of massive gene enhanced humans with bad attitude
The Liandri.. A couple of flexible, nimble and dangerous droid robots
The Skaarj..Think Hulk crossed with a lizard. Brute strength and poison blades
The Necris..The Undead;not strong but quick, deadly & can suck your life out
The Humans..HaHa you laugh. Not so fast. Quick and powerful adrenaline skills
Mystry Man?No it's..Elder God of MK fame.Though all powerful he tones it down a bit to make it alittle more even but don't overlook him.**Locked**

That's it in a nut shell. The rumor mill has already been going there's more maps, mutators, and possibly characters for download later. For RPG players look elsewhere. For mayhem, shoot-em-up beat-em-up and all out war this it!

Kenny J. - Buzz

Last edited by K&AJones; 03-29-05 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-29-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was planning on getting UT2004 on my PC, but may have to put that on hold now.
When is the expected release date for UC2?
Old 03-29-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Centurion
I was planning on getting UT2004 on my PC, but may have to put that on hold now.
When is the expected release date for UC2?
As it stands April 18th.

Kenny J. - Buzz
Old 03-29-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this game should be called UT2005 that is how much they're alike and if you've got it running in HD it looks sweet.
Old 03-30-05, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wed Night

Unreal Demo Play on XBox Live. Can I get a few people to play tonight? I don't know what time, but it will be after 9:00PM EST.
Old 03-30-05, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
Unreal Demo Play on XBox Live. Can I get a few people to play tonight? I don't know what time, but it will be after 9:00PM EST.
I *might* be able to make that. I'm working the late shift tonight, but I'm supposed to leave the office at 9pm, so depending on how things go, I should be home around 9:30.

I'll keep my eye on this thread and update from work when I know what's up.
Old 03-30-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if a few people are on we have to do a melee only match those are fun, maybe buzz and martin5 will be on.
Old 03-30-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

okay buzz those games were cool; sorry i left like that my wireless did the loose the connection thing and then i decided i was going to play halo 2 oh well i can't wait till the full version comes out this game is going to be so damn fun.
Old 03-31-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well that was my first online experience last night with it. It ran farly smooth I thought. Like you when the full version comes out that's when the real fun begins. I think team play will be the way to go with CTF and a new 'Bomber Run" type. And you might as well forget about those "finish him" moves. No-way a teamate is going to allow that. It's hard enough to do period let alone in Deathmatch. Someone had me frozen last night and just when they was about to put it to me..Bam..they got sniped.

I know everyone's keen on the online play but I still say single play will be plenty of fun to.

Kenny J. - Buzz

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.