DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Favorite game soundtracks and recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/414547-favorite-game-soundtracks-recommendations.html)

dcswirl 03-17-05 12:01 AM

Favorite game soundtracks and recommendations

I have FF5, 6, 7, AND 10. I also have Skies of Arcadia and Chrono Cross. Chrono Cross is my favorite followed closely by FF7. Anyone have any recommendations?

Tigger 03-17-05 01:35 AM

FF8
FF9
Chrono Trigger
Tales of Destiny
Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics
Elemental Gearbolt
Metal Gear Solid
Myst
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Biohazard 2 (Resident Evil 2)
Medal of Honor
Medal of Honor: Underground

kar10 03-17-05 06:54 AM

Music Soundtracks:

Halo
Halo 2
Hitman 2
Chronicles Of Riddick
Robotech Battlecry

RyoHazuki 03-17-05 07:25 AM

Shenmue.

Awesome soundtrack.

boredsilly 03-17-05 08:26 PM

Katamari Damacy has a really nifty quirky soundtrack.

Baron Of Hell 03-17-05 09:19 PM

Katamari Damacy: Love how all the songs are about rolling
Max Payne 2: Took me awhile to take the them song out. Best theme song for a game.
Final Fantasy any: Love here the music and thinking that was when I fought that guy. Oh that was opera scene. FF is always good.
Lunar: Never finish the game but bought the soundtrack. I like it for the same reason I like FF.
PaRappa the Rapper: Come on. I know you got those songs stuck in your head.
GTA all: Well at least the first two had good soundtracks. I haven't played the last one yet but from what I hear I bet it is just as good.

tanman 03-17-05 10:05 PM

There is an orchestrated (strings really) of Zelda Ocarina of Time that is really good. I also recommend the piano versions of the FF albums. You can find them for decent prices on ebay. I have the FF Crystal Chronicals album which is also pretty good. There was also a live orchestrated album of Super Smash Bros. Melee which is basically every Nintendo theme. That is a really good album.

There are some free ones as well. Pixy will no doubt tell us about Metroid Metal (don't know what the exact site is just google it). There is also www.fantasyreborn.com which is an awesome site of someone rearranging FF music. They are for the piano and he provides mp3s and sheet music for free.

dcswirl 03-17-05 11:27 PM

Thanks!

Puzznic 03-18-05 12:32 AM

I like:

Jet Set Radio
Jet Set Radio Future
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Rez

RoQuEr 03-18-05 05:02 AM

Mars, the bringer of War by Holst is probably my favorite song that is used by games.

elbillo 03-18-05 08:17 AM

my favorites are wipeout xl & sled storm, both for ps1, both can play in a cd player (skip track 1). the first is techno like prodigy etc. , the latter is metal like rob zombie. tony hawk stuff isn't bad for alternative-type, and the new GTA is really good (if you like gangsta rap check out true crime)

josepotato 03-18-05 08:47 AM

I really liked the music in Mafia, but I don't think it's for everybody.

Maxflier 03-18-05 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Shenmue.

Awesome soundtrack.

And an overall awesome game period.I am getting close to finally beating it.I love this game.

xmiyux 03-18-05 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Puzznic
I like:

Jet Set Radio
Jet Set Radio Future

I was going to post these exact two as well. I adore the games and the soundtrack was great.

BizRodian 03-18-05 09:51 AM

All the Hitman games...

Knight of the Old Republic 2 had some good beats too, actually :D

Noonan 03-18-05 10:06 AM

I think Morrowind has probably the best game soundtrack I've ever heard.

RocShemp 03-18-05 10:45 AM

Two game scores I really like (and own) are Xenogears and Xenosaga - Episode I.

I'm hoping someone releases a soundtrack to Devil May Cry 3.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater has a very good score as well.

Oh and try http://ocremix.org for some pretty good arrangements of game music.

Centurion 03-18-05 11:49 AM

Hell yeah, Jet Set Radio Future!

Some of my other favorites include the Zelda, Super Mario, and PaRappa games which already have been mentioned.

"Add some sugar, add some salt. Add some more of the MSG!!!" :lol:

amped 03-18-05 11:52 AM

Already mentioned, but still deserves the praise: JSRF

Also, as a kid I thought the soundtrack for Sonic2 and Streets of Rage2 were great. In fact when I listened to the soundtrack for Sonic2 on the Sonic collections disc that was released a few months ago, I felt some of the tracks still sound pretty good.

Centurion 03-18-05 12:26 PM

If you're not talking about original work, then there are games with famous artists. The ones that come to mind are the Tony Hawk and NBA Street series as well as other sports titles.

dick_grayson 03-18-05 12:28 PM

I hate just about all game soundtracks. especially snowboarding/skateboarding ones with the faux punk rock crap oon it. The music on JSRF used to drive me insane.

boredsilly 03-18-05 04:45 PM

I like:

Jet Set Radio
Jet Set Radio Future

Bullocks! Too true! These were great, but I have a very soft place in my heart for Jet Grind Radio's soundtrack. They intro'd me Jurassic 5.

sfsdfd 03-18-05 06:38 PM

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night had an <i>amazing</i> soundtrack.

Myst and Riven also have excellent soundtracks, but they're more mellow and atmospheric. (Good studying music, as I learned in law school.) Same thing with Quake I, in fact (written by none other than Nine Inch Nails.)

Dance Dance Revolution has a great soundtrack, too. ;) Those songs were stuck in my head for <i>an entire year.</i>

Star Control II has an excellent soundtrack, but you have to extract the music files from the actual binaries. :D

The old Playstation game N2O has a great soundtrack... but it's just the entire <i>Vegas</i> album by The Crystal Method!

- David Stein

Outlaw 03-19-05 12:25 PM

I like:

Castlevania Symphony of the Night

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to mention this, best soundtrack eva!

Baten Kaitos (GC) has an incredible soundtrack that most of you probably haven't heard.

And also Super Smash Bros. Melee :).

Randy Miller III 03-21-05 08:07 PM

They've already been mentioned, but <b>Xenogears</b> and <b>Shenmue</b> (I & II) are simply amazing.