DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Anyone think Resident Evil 4 is overrated? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/412799-anyone-think-resident-evil-4-overrated.html)

maingon 03-05-05 11:22 PM

Anyone think Resident Evil 4 is overrated?

I been wanting to play this so badly. and I finally rented it. Great graphics, Amazing sound, Good story, but the Camera sucks. Its always right behind you. never moves around so its hard when surrounded. Turning is slow. and aiming seems hard. I kept hearing people say the controls are awesome. but the camera is so bad especailly when you go into a building. You gotta move your character around to to look moving back and fourth theres no strafing. something that would be nice, especally to look around corners. the camera i think makes exploring a chore. the camera is to close to the character. I gotta say the camera drives me nuts and when you aim it seems that camera goes to the side of the character making aiming a little wierd.

outlaw1323 03-06-05 12:47 AM

no it rocks

KingSmoth 03-06-05 01:02 AM

nope, best game ever

darkside 03-06-05 01:05 AM

Can't say I agree. Best game I have played in a long time.

bluntman72 03-06-05 01:42 AM

Great game, one of the best in a while.

also with the ability to perform a 180 degree turn fast getting surrounded is not that bad.

Gizmo 03-06-05 01:45 AM

Nope, its awesome!

thegame370 03-06-05 02:05 AM

Cant say i agree with you, RE4 is DA SHIZNIT!

phr33k 03-06-05 02:06 AM

No. RE4 is like the best game on teh gamecube.

asianxcore 03-06-05 02:34 AM

awesome game.

nickdawgy 03-06-05 02:49 AM

It's a great game :up:

DVDKrayzie 03-06-05 04:00 AM

no but halo 2 sure is/was

DVDsAreMyLIFE 03-06-05 04:22 AM

Great game, but one of the worse RE games in the series...story line has nothing to do with RE except having Leon, Ada and Wesker in it...

huh? 03-06-05 07:00 AM

I diasgree with the OP. I picked this up the other day and once I got past the first couple chapters I wasn't able to stop playing. I would say that makes it a good game.

silentbob007 03-06-05 08:21 AM

I loved the game. Now the Cube port of the original RE (which is the only other one I've tried to play) ... that had bad controls. RE4 kept me on my toes ... lots of fun as long as you can handle it. My dad actually had a minor heart attack after playing it and has sworn off the game.

Puzznic 03-06-05 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
Great game, but one of the worse RE games in the series...story line has nothing to do with RE except having Leon, Ada and Wesker in it...

I think that was the point. The storyline and zombies were egtting stale and it was time to try something new.

maingon 03-06-05 10:55 AM

i never said its a bad game just overrated. the camera is to close

story 03-06-05 11:15 AM

The cam is always from behind? So we don't get to see Jill Valentine (or whoever's) tight-shirted titties? I don't wanna play this one, anymore.

madara 03-06-05 01:23 PM

I cant honestly answer as I havent played it. But I can say I seen 100 pages threads on gaming forums rave about this game, yet when I ask if most annoying feature to RE games has been fixed, the tank like crappy controls,they answer no. My desire goes right out the window then. I cant see how anyone can give a game ten, a perfect score, when they cant even fix most important feature. But I guess as long there is alot gore RE fans dont care.

Jackskeleton 03-06-05 01:41 PM

no. I think saying things are overrated is overrated.

DVDsAreMyLIFE 03-06-05 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Puzznic
I think that was the point. The storyline and zombies were egtting stale and it was time to try something new.

Then don't call it RE, they could have done so many things with the orginal RE SL and made it great still but they didn't, if it has nothing ot do with the orginal RE storyline it shouldnt be call RE

Chris_D 03-06-05 06:16 PM

Apparently the sluggish rate of turning and the lack of ability to strafe etc were play balancing and design decisions if you read the interview in the latest Edge.

I haven't got my copy yet but will eventually.

Arthas76 03-06-05 07:00 PM

yeah its a top game...20+ hours of gameplay. loved it but its definitely flawed:

1) the 2 main villians are terribly weak bosses
2) no strafe
3) not as scary as previous RE games
4) as others have said, the plot has nothing to do with the series and its seems they just threw a bunch of characters in and it makes no sense

again im being nitpicky, the game is a must-own

tidwell 03-06-05 08:26 PM

This game is amazing. Hands down the best Cube game I've played since Wind Waker.

jediwicz 03-06-05 08:37 PM

I haven't played a game through more than once since MGS: Twins Snakes. I'm on my third time through and still enthralled. Top notch, no complaints.

SteelgearX 03-06-05 08:42 PM

No complaints here, the game is the shit. As far as the controls go, people complaining about them get on my nerves. IT IS A DESIGN DECISION! IT IS DONE ON PURPOSE AND WILL NOT BE FIXED BECAUSE... IT'S NOT BROKEN!!!

Capcom also makes Devil May Cry, so I think they know how to make games with different controls. RE's control's are meant to make it just a bit harder so you freakout when enemies attack. As good as the game is the A.I. isn't the best and would not be as scary if you could easily run away from any situation.

Same thing with the camera. Do you not watch scary movies because the camera doesn't let you see what's gonna pop out?! Enough people already complain about the game not being scary enough, "fixing" these so-called "problems" would lessen the experience.

Short of Virtual Reality, game designers have to come up with ways to make these games a little scarier and suspenseful than they otherwise would be. They're freaking video games, have fun with them for what they are. You know, if you nitpick about everything you'll never enjoy anything.