Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

GameCube finally going online...finally...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-05, 07:14 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Alot of people were pissed when Animal Crossing was released with a lack of online play. Well, Chunsoft is finally releasing a game that actually uses the Gamecube port, and takes us online (free!).

Chunsoft's online-ready RPG, HomeLand, is quite the oddity. Resembling Nintendo's Animal Crossing in tone, HomeLand promises to take players into a brightly colored fantasy world filled with puzzles and combat. Although Chunsoft announced the game in December 2003, HomeLand has gone through dramatic changes, going from standalone RPG to MMORPG. The news broke to rabid fanfare among GameCube loyalists. Understandable, seeing as the Cube suffers from a new complete lack of online titles. Where the PS2 and Xbox have somewhat of a large online library, Cube enthusiasts have to do with Sega's Phantasy Star Online series.

Recently, Chunsoft revealed Homeland would support online play for up to 30 simultaneous players. The company also revealed that HomeLand would ship on two disks, one disk for single player and the other for online play. The single player portion will contain a conventional quest, with you controlling a pointy-haired protagonist as he travels through a whimsical realm. You'll explore an assortment of towns, with each boasting unique denizens, challenges and mini-quests. Completing quests in a town will grant you access to more towns and areas. The story takes you through each bizarre (yet oddly charming locale) where you'll need to meet and befriend local townsfolk to progress.

Like any game of this type, HomeLand will feature combat, complete with special attacks and magical spells. One of the most interesting aspects of HomeLand is the "hand holding" system, where you link with other characters in the game by holding hands. Forming a chain with fellow HomeLand denizens boosts your statistics and abilities, depending on the abilities of the characters you're with, of course. You can join strong characters to fight vicious monsters, or join hands to shield a struggling character from attack. It's a pretty unique approach, and well suited for online play, where you'll most likely need to find able-bodied characters to join your team. Chunsoft has yet to release specific information on how these character chains will pan out, or how the company plans to balance a character's abilities, but you can expect something unique.

To be honest, Chunsoft has yet to release very much of anything regarding specifics. Looking through the main website, however, one can clearly see that HomeLand offers something unique. For starters, the game looks unlike any other online game on the market. The color scheme looks altogether bright and cheery, with pastel colors used throughout. Character design benefits from a truly unique twist, as can be seen on any of the screen shots released so far. The game may look "kiddie" by most standards, but it's more just peculiar, looking like a cross between Nintendo's Animal Crossing and Namco's Katamari Damaci.

IGN Pictures
Old 02-24-05, 09:01 PM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts
Please do not tell my wife about this game!

I would never see her again.
Old 02-24-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Please tell my wife about this game!

I would never see her again.
FIXED!!!
Old 02-24-05, 09:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by ElementZ
FIXED!!!
LOL
Old 02-24-05, 09:42 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really it's Nintendo finally going online...Again. Phantasy Star Online put the GC online a couple years back, but nothing since.
Old 02-24-05, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was piping Mario Kart DD until I realized it wasn't nearly as fun as playing my friends in person.

Actually, its to bad this game didn't come earlier, could have forced Nintendo to take notice if it caught on.
Old 02-25-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
At 35 bucks for the network adapter, this game has to be pretty awesome for me to try it... otherwise, it's a nearly 100 dollar game, and I'll have yet another useless peripheral when I stop playing it (hello, FFXI and your HDD that isn't even compatible with new PS2s...)
Old 02-25-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
At 35 bucks for the network adapter, this game has to be pretty awesome for me to try it... otherwise, it's a nearly 100 dollar game, and I'll have yet another useless peripheral when I stop playing it (hello, FFXI and your HDD that isn't even compatible with new PS2s...)
I don't care. I'm getting it.

HEY, BIG N - you hear that?!? Gimme an online Animal Crossing 2, you beotches!
Old 02-25-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
I thought they were, it's just that it's on the DS...
Old 02-25-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Forgive my ignorance, but I had no idea that there was even a GameCube online adaptor.

Anyone have a link to one?
Old 02-26-05, 01:21 AM

I wouldn't really call that "nintendo going online," they've had phantasy star online for years. but even still, its just a few games, and even then they aren't really pushing online or anything.

wait for revolution or animal crossing DS.

but still, i've been following this game for quite some time and it looks downright awesome. The trailer is really interesting. however i doubt this game is coming to the US. please prove that statement wrong NOA.
Old 02-26-05, 10:11 AM

Specialty game stores usually sell both GCN online adapters for 9.99-14.99 pre-owned. I agree with jeff when he said it's more fun to play with friends in the same room. Online is a nice option but nothing beats seeing the person who's ass you just kicked in real life. Wonder how single player Homeland will be...
Old 02-28-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Harlock
Forgive my ignorance, but I had no idea that there was even a GameCube online adaptor.

Anyone have a link to one?
http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs...rderTotal=null